Seeking comparisons on Leica UVa vs UVa II filters

enboe

Given that many (including myself) argue that a good filter does not visibly affect the image, and that the previous filters were good, I don't see how the newer ones can be better in terms of image 'quality' in most situations. About the only potential difference that I could see as being useful would be enhanced multi-coating (do they have this?) which might, in certain circumstances, reduce flare and unwanted reflections. Determining this could be really tricky though. I'd use either happily enough.

• 3 years later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/7/2020 at 10:07 AM, dave.flanagan said:

I asked Leica Camera USA and they said they thought the original UVa filter was single coated while the newer UVa II filters are multicoated.

Hi, you've picked up a 4-year old thread so I'm not sure how "new" applies now. 🤔

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know whether the silver versions of the UVa II filter are silver chrome (brass) or silver anodized (aluminium)? Can't find anything on Leica's webpage. Thanks.

• 8 months later...
On 7/24/2020 at 1:37 AM, Guest said:

Does anyone know whether the silver versions of the UVa II filter are silver chrome (brass) or silver anodized (aluminium)? Can't find anything on Leica's webpage. Thanks.

Don't know if this relevant anymore. But I recently purchased a used UVa II E46 silver and was (negatively) surprised by the feel of it. So I sent a few pics to Leica customer service to ask if it is a fake, and the answer is as follows:

1. The UVa II silver is made from thin-walled aluminium , so it is light (at 11g measured by me)

2. Since it is silver anodized, it can be of different color to silver chrome lenses. (In my case it shines a little bit warmer than my silver summilux 50 asph.)

3. The coating can look green or also yellowish or reddish, depending on the batch of the glass.

4. The engravings are now printed instead of engraved

So in conclusion it is indeed an authentic leica UVa II filter.

I wonder if 'depending on the batch of the glass' means 'depending on which subcontractor we are using'? It's often been suggested that Leica farms out these filters to other companies, and of course you can get a top of the range B+W MRC/MRC Nano or Hoya HD, where you know in detail what you are buying, for much less than Leica charges. B+W still use brass rings, too.

Here's what Leica says about UVa II:

https://uk.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-S/S-Accessories/UVa-II-Filter

'The UVa II filter protects the front elements of the lens against scratches, marks and dirt. At the same time, the new multicoating and significantly improved optical parameters make it possible to preserve full imaging quality, even in unfavourable lighting conditions. Thanks to an additional thread, the UVa II filter can also be used in combination with other filters, and acts as permanent protection for your valuable filters, too.'

So it seems the multicoating is new or different. Did the previous filters have front threads too? I'm amused by the suggestion that we use a UV filter to protect our other filters!

• Like 2