about Summicron 35mm

kengai

I used the 35 Summicron ASPH for 7 years. A gorgeous lens for sure. The results from the original Monochrom had no problems whatsoever. But I was looking somewhat imperfect if I may say.

I purchase a nice 46 years old 35 Summicron V2, with the aperture tab. The lens has been manufactured for only a couple of years. It has a different character from the ASPH: strong vignetting up to 5,6, soft "glowing" sharpness at f:2 but remarkably good from f:4 to f:8, physically very small and cute. I felt in love with it! But only on the Monochrom...

From my experience that the ASPH remains a better lens for a color camera such as the M240.

• Like 1

It would depend on whether you are using a digital body or film, as well as the degree of enlargement and whether you are shooting wide open or with the diaphragm closed down. Give more details for a specific answer.

I use the M-P 240, between f​​/2,8 and f/8 normally.

I have the Summicron 35, type IV, and the ASPH.

I read very well about the type III, with serial number higher than 2600000.

I would notice obvious differences in the file between the latter and the models that I already have?

Well, I only have thorough experience with the IV, but from what I have read the improvement "steps" from v1 through IV is incremental as opposed to the giant leap of the asph performance improvement... at 2.0 that is I guess... At 4.0 and above is another matter (of taste...). Love the IV though... Edited by Stein K S
  • Like 1

My V4 lives on the M8,  ASPH on the M9.  

V1 is a nice, but not spectacular, old lens.   Lets just say it has character matching 50 Rigid

If you want a sharp lens into the corners , the ASPH is better.  V4 is used on crop sensor.

I have never seen a leica lens that did not improve with each version.