How do you store your camera in the short term

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was recently at Leica NJ and the topic camera flange loosening/tightening came up. I was left with the impression that you should not keep heavy or longer lenses on the camera ( I have m240) because it causes stress in the body and lens flanges. I'm a weekend user and have left my 75 cron on the camera for multiple days.  This was the first I've heard this so wanted to pass on. 

The only precautions I take are:

Turn lens helicoids to a random point away from the end stops - to prevent binding.

Avoid or detach large square hoods ( e.g. on older 35/1.4 ASPH and 28/2 ASPH lenses ) as the front of the lens can be rotated under in bag handling ( round hoods like 12446 okay ). 

This looks like a bit of nonsense to me. The lens mount on the M240 has been strengthened to take long lenses which can weigh over 2 Kg. A mere 75 Summilux is nothing in comparison.

Even other M cameras used with their normal lenses are not known for problems like these. The R cameras from the R4 series were a different matter. A knock with a heavy tele on could bend the mount out of true.

• Like 4

Whilst waiting to be reunited with my own M240 I can't take a look to remind myself how the flange is held. However, assuming it's screws they should be torqued-up with anti-vibration compound, so any imposed load (within design limits) is not 'seen' by the flange but by the elastic tension in the screws. Assuming correct material property and torque to the level specified by the stress engineer, all should be fine.

I've seen lens mounts being pulled off on Nikon and canon dslr when them been transported with a 400mm or bigger, but can't imagine on normal-ish sized lenses that happening. I can't see why a Leica should be treated any better or worse than any other camera.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I put mine down on my desk then pick it up again later on. It's a good system for me and isn't too confusing. I can see it there on my desk right now. It's shiny.

/jokes

How do I store cameras? I put them down somewhere convenient when I've stopped using them. I pick them up when I want to use them.

That's what they're designed for.

If you are really worried store the camera on the lens (i.e. the lens placed on the storage surface) but I must agree with jaapv in that I'd say its a problem dreamed up by someone who is neurotic over their camera equipment. My gear is stored any old how (often left in a rucksack with other stuff and numerous forces at work on it) and I have had no problems whatsoever. Its more important to store stuff dry rather than anything else!

• Like 1

The only precautions I take are:

Turn lens helicoids to a random point away from the end stops - to prevent binding.

Avoid or detach large square hoods ( e.g. on older 35/1.4 ASPH and 28/2 ASPH lenses ) as the front of the lens can be rotated under in bag handling ( round hoods like 12446 okay ). 

Whats a hellcold and where is it on my camera? 

I'm a Photograpler and camera owner  for 50 years..... I do hope I never misused my hellcold. :)    I'm assuming its part of the lens mount?

Isnt this common "optical tool" sense, like..... 

Dont leave your camera unattended on the seat or a restaurant

Never leave your camera in a hot trunk of a car or on a radiator (dating myself)

Never, never  use it to hammer in a nail.

Seriously camera storage in the short term?....Maybe in the long term....take the battery out.

Storing your camera in the short term....Here is a good piece of advice:

Do NOT leave your camera near the edge of a flat surface with the strap hanging  off the table......ever. 

Whats a hellcold and where is it on my camera? 

I'm a Photograpler and camera owner  for 50 years..... I do hope I never misused my hellcold. :)    I'm assuming its part of the lens mount?

Yeah yeah - I was going down the line that the lens mount was robust - but handling damage to a lens mounted on a body is more likely than to a lens stored separately in a cylindrical case.

• Like 1

Yep - see decisive moment coming:

1. Open cupboard, unzip case, remove lens, remove body cap, remove lens rear cap, mount lens, photograph postdecisive moment.

Or:

2. Grab camera from table, take photograph...

Camera storage area:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I love this group...I learn something new everyday!!

hel·i·coid

ˈheliˌkoid/
noun
plural noun: helicoids
  1. an object of spiral or helical shape.
    • GEOMETRY
      a surface formed by simultaneously moving a straight line along an axis and rotating it around it (like a screw thread).

With all due respect to rsolomom ....We/ I am poking fun but I do hope he understands that, it all in fun and not meant maliciously at all. 
      It is a fair question and all questions are worth asking...... Thank you rsoloman for understanding 

Edited by ECohen

The best approach is to turn your camera upside down every few days so that the stress of the lens mount is equalized. :D

Seriously to OP... don't worry about it.

Once a year to alleviate stress on the camera I let it out for dinner and a show, no expense spared.

• Like 1