Digilux 2 eyepiece

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi. Hoping someone can help. Have recently bought a digilux 2 as a present for my dad (hoping I'll have the grace to actually hand it over despite coveting leicas for years!). However, there are a couple of minor cosmetic defects I'd like to get sorted before I give it to him. The first is that it is missing the rubber eyepiece cover. I know that spares are hard to come by for this model and I haven't been able to find any online. Similar non-Leica generic replacements are available but I don't know the size of the eyepiece. I could measure but the difference between 18mm and 22mm would be easy to fudge if measuring by hand. Does anybody know the size of the eyepiece on this model? Couldn't find it in the manual or online.

The second issue is that the leather/vinyl skin is coming off and needs replacing. Have identified somewhere that sells replacements (www.cameraleather.com) but am waiting on a response to my email enquiry regarding availability for this model. Does anybody know of anywhere else where this might be available? Also, does anyone have experience of replacing the leather themselves? Is it as easy as one is led to believe or is it best avoided?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hello!

Did you try spares for the Panasonic DMC-LC1? The two cameras are almost identical, so parts might swap between the two.

Also yes,cameraleather will do spare skins for the D2, but more like regular Leica M leather and not so much like the rubberized cover that's now on your D2.

Finally, do ask your dad to join us Digilux 2 users over on Facebook. You too!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

The Lc1 eyecup is a different shape from the D2.It will need trimmed to make it fit.I have already done this.The D2 covering is rubber.I've got a spare set.I used Evostik (glue/contact adhesive) to recover my D2 with Panasonic covering.I prefer the grip.

PS,,,,,,it can get a bit painful without the eyecup.

Edited by corson

Apologies if this sounds silly but when you say the camera has to be taken apart, what exactly does that involve? Sounds like it could run the risk of making matters worse by breaking the camera itself (especially in my hands!). Apart from that, I would be interested in your offer. What would you be looking for?