Digilux 3 Images

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is anyone out there still using their Digilux 3 or its Panasonic equivalent? I'm disappointed that I never see any postings on this site.

I made the transition from SLR to digital with the Digilux 3 because it was most like the cameras that I used previously. I still love mine even though it has been technically superseded and have used it continuously since it came out even though I now use a Q primarily and still can't totally abandon film. If there are others out there, I would love to see what you've done with the 3.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Regards, Wally

• Like 11

Thanks for starting this.  I don't have a Digilux 3 but do have the Panasonic DMC-L1.  Both are much underrated in my opinion.  Only ever used it with R lenses and not for the last 5 years, it's in it's box somewhere.  Your post made me look back at some of the images I got from it and thought I must get it out and give it another run out for old times' sake :)

DMC-L1, Macro Elmar-R 1:4/100

Edited by Bobitybob
  • Like 11

Young putter ...

DMC-L1, Telyt-R 1:4/250

• Like 1

The look ...

DMC-L1, Telyt-R 1:4/250

• Like 3

Thanks for posting.  Leica fans are quite fickle. We move from one "greatest camera in the world" to the next "greatest camera in the world" without looking back. The camera still serves me well, and with only one supplementary lens I get the range from macro to super-telephoto. Your images are terrific, I especially like that first one.  Hope you'll  post some more old images and dust it off and post new ones too. 

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Fruit Salad ...

DMC-L1, Vario Elmar-R 1:4/35-70

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for posting.  Leica fans are quite fickle. We move from one "greatest camera in the world" to the next "greatest camera in the world" without looking back. The camera still serves me well, and with only one supplementary lens I get the range from macro to super-telephoto. Your images are terrific, I especially like that first one.  Hope you'll  post some more old images and dust it off and post new ones too. 

attachicon.gifL1030531.jpg

I don't think anybody ever considered the Digilux3 the greatest camera in the world. I  was at the introduction at Photokina. The M8 counter was overcrowded by a jostling mass, the Digilux3 counter had one rather sad-looking Leica employee behind it who was overjoyed to see me and have somebody to talk to.

Having said that, it was not a bad camera at  all, despite the small and dim viewfinder and smallish sensor.

I used one for a while as an emergency backup for my DMR when travelling. Took some nice shots with it too. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think anybody ever considered the Digilux3 the greatest camera in the world. I  was at the introduction at Photokina. The M8 counter was overcrowded by a jostling mass, the Digilux3 counter had one rather sad-looking Leica employee behind it who was overjoyed to see me and have somebody to talk to.

Having said that, it was not a bad camera at  all, despite the small and dim viewfinder and smallish sensor.

I used one for a while as an emergency backup for my DMR when travelling. Took some nice shots with it too. 

Years ago I had a couple of Digilux 2 and one Digilux 3, I like them very much especially the D2 because of its form factor, It is sad Panasonic dropped that concept.

• Like 2

Years ago I had a couple of Digilux 2 and one Digilux 3, I like them very much especially the D2 because of its form factor, It is sad Panasonic dropped that concept.

I still have my (sh) Digilux 2 and like to use it from time to time. Indeed sad Panasonic dropped the concept. It is a digital camera that feels like using an analog camera.

Once had a chance to play with the Digilux 3 at a dealer when it was launched. That camera wasn't  a succes. After some time  Leica offered a rebate. It was together with the Panasonic equivalent and the Olympus E330 a camera that used a porro viewfinder to obtain live view. At a clearance sale I got the Olympus E330 very cheap. Except the lens, firmware and body appearance most technical components were the same. I used it a few times, now it is in the box somewhere in a closet in the attic.

Best

Two lenses Leica designed in the D series for four-thirds: the 25mm (50mm equiv.) f1.4 and the 14-150 (28-300 equiv.) zoom were, per reviews, two of Leica's better lenses. The 25mm was re-released for micro four-thirds; the zoom sadly not.

I never did invest in those two Leica lenses but I bought an Olympus four-thirds zoom, 70-300 (140-600 equiv. ) for a trip to Alaska. It focuses fast and gives ok results.

• Like 6

I still have a Digilux 3 as well as a Digilux 2.
I bought both back in 2007 or so, but they sadly don't get as much use from me as in past years.
I still use the 14-50 kit lens and the original 25mm 1.4 D Summilux on my Olympus E-M1, though.

Here are some pictures I took with my Digilux 3 and various lenses.

This was the D3 with a Sigma 30mm 1.4 four thirds lens:

2906007843_601d00ee83_b.jpg

This was with the 14-50 D Vario Elmarit:
5300992393_d84fd2658a_b.jpg

This one was, I believe, with a 80-200 Pentax manual focus lens, proving that it's possible to use that small viewfinder!

4062099422_788d3d948a_b.jpg

And this one was either taken with the kit lens at 100mm or with a 50mm Summicron-R:

5210669918_abc58d2f5d_b.jpg

It's definitely an underrated camera and I had a lot of fun using it. I may, for old times sakes, put it back to work, but it has been thoroughly used and abused and now has the scratches and paint peel to show it. Good thread - and thanks for giving us a chance to go through our archives and share some D3 love!

• Like 3

Mendenhall Glacier, Alaska

Here's a shot with the kit lens at 14mm (28) of Nugget Falls from the same position as the shot above.

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

I was given a Digilux3 as a special present when it had first come on to the market at not far short of£2k! I then treated it to a Luigi hand made leather erc, complete with two supplementary strap mounted cases for the flashgun, lens hood, etc! I was overwhelmed by the quality of the camera and I still have it. The zoom lens is a tribute to the date! Pity about the sensor size and it would be tremendous if there could be a retrofit. I have taken hundreds of photographs, but it is little used now.

It has been supplanted by a succession of X100 cameras, culminating in the X100F. I feel that they have much in common philosophically.

2 hours ago, Ron Kennett said:

I was given a Digilux3 as a special present when it had first come on to the market at not far short of£2k! I then treated it to a Luigi hand made leather erc, complete with two supplementary strap mounted cases for the flashgun, lens hood, etc! I was overwhelmed by the quality of the camera and I still have it. The zoom lens is a tribute to the date! Pity about the sensor size and it would be tremendous if there could be a retrofit. I have taken hundreds of photographs, but it is little used now.

It has been supplanted by a succession of X100 cameras, culminating in the X100F. I feel that they have much in common philosophically.

Why not post some of those photos here, it would be nice to see them.

• 6 months later...

Dug out my L1 from the cabinet and charged up the battery, went out today for a few test shots. Our Digilux3 was destroyed by one of the earthquakes when I was in Japan.

Here is one with my favorite Summilux 25.

• Like 6

Thank you war.

One more for the famous cloud formation of Seattle.

• Like 4

Moon at blue hour

• Like 2