Life is a beach! [Group thread]

A miller

Dot to dot, Delta 400

32117631324_d67b2431b1_b.jpg

I'll stop there for now! living by the beach, I end up with a lot of beach life shots...

I've been going through a real recent phase with HP5+ looking overdeveloped?

'Summer sizzle' and 'Shaded service' above - way more grain/less sharpness than i'd think reasonable with Sunny 16 and HP5+ and not at all what I was after.

I'm still searching for a film + dev combination that suits, especially the harsh contrasty light we have here (in Australia.)

Delta 400 and Ilfosol 3 seems better, I'm losing faith in HP5+ for this scenario, especially (in my hands) with DDX.

I'm thinking of trying Rodinal out with Delta 400 but would gladly take any advice.

Edited by coogee
  • Like 2

One last one (sorry!) again with HP5+ and DDX and again way too much grain/not sharp enough (excuse the sloppy sky stain from the rinse)

Moi? 

26303690454_89c3c315ef_b.jpg

Edited by coogee
  • Like 5

Dot to dot, Delta 400

32117631324_d67b2431b1_b.jpg

I'll stop there for now! living by the beach, I end up with a lot of beach life shots...

I've been going through a real recent phase with HP5+ looking overdeveloped?

'Summer sizzle' and 'Shaded service' above - way more grain/less sharpness than i'd think reasonable with Sunny 16 and HP5+ and not at all what I was after.

I'm still searching for a film + dev combination that suits, especially the harsh contrasty light we have here (in Australia.)

Delta 400 and Ilfosol 3 seems better, I'm losing faith in HP5+ for this scenario, especially (in my hands) with DDX.

I'm thinking of trying Rodinal out with Delta 400 but would gladly take any advice.

Hi Coogee - Beautiful photos and thanks for sharing your thought process of how you approached the exposure and development.  I would recommend that you try out Tri-X as I think you will get deeper blacks, which might just do the trick that you are after.   You might also try shooting with a medium yellow filter, as it will deepen the color of the sky (and pop the definition of the clouds) and add more contrast to the scene (but not too much as it you get with an orange and red).  Also, since you are there so much and are into experimenting, you might separately try using a polarizing filter.

Thanks v much for sharing and I hope you will share more!

Best,

Adam 

Edited by A miller
  • Like 1

Here's an example of Tri-X with a polarizing filter on a hot clear sunny day.

The combo is even too much for my tastes, but you can see how deep the dark tones can get...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by A miller
  • Like 6

Richard -

Adam is the master - please heed his advice.  However, for the ones you've already posted, all of which I enjoy, the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th and 8th would all benefit from some post processing in the computer.  For example, all I did with this one is increase she shadow slider a bit.

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback guys, very much appreciated.

I prefer your edit Stuart, thanks, I am very uninspired by scanning/post I will freely admit, I'm a C student at best here.

The CPL could definitely be interesting, especially @50mm.

Harsh light, bright sand, it's never going to be an ideal situation perhaps, but it'd be nice to know I can end up with a negative I'm expecting - the guy with the hat works for me (look at his shadow, very harsh light) Now was that with CPL or an orange filter - I've forgotten and my notes from that roll aren't great!

It's proved really useful to put pictures together - I can see straight away I far prefer Ilfosol 3 to DDX.

The yellow filter (my normal go-to) does mean white sand/dark sea which can be a pain. 

I'll stop cluttering your thread with film/dev/filter talk anyway, another picture - this was a cloudy afternoon, 35/2, delta 400, orange filter, ilfosol 3 

30601373683_4463e6e34f_b.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the feedback guys, very much appreciated.

I prefer your edit Stuart, thanks, I am very uninspired by scanning/post I will freely admit, I'm a C student at best here.

The CPL could definitely be interesting, especially @50mm.

Harsh light, bright sand, it's never going to be an ideal situation perhaps, but it'd be nice to know I can end up with a negative I'm expecting - the guy with the hat works for me (look at his shadow, very harsh light) Now was that with CPL or an orange filter - I've forgotten and my notes from that roll aren't great!

It's proved really useful to put pictures together - I can see straight away I far prefer Ilfosol 3 to DDX.

The yellow filter (my normal go-to) does mean white sand/dark sea which can be a pain. 

I'll stop cluttering your thread with film/dev/filter talk anyway, another picture - this was a cloudy afternoon, 35/2, delta 400, orange filter, ilfosol 3 

30601373683_4463e6e34f_b.jpg

Coogee - clutter away with film chatter provided it is accompanied by interesting beach photos! :)  NB:  the same is not true for digital chatter....  :ph34r:

• Like 1

Thanks Adam, you're right, "film talk is good talk" :)

Here's something totally different, Portra 400, Lux ASPH, CPL

Daybreak at Wellington Beach in Northern NSW.

24808089710_8b7a6b4bf3_b.jpg

Cheers,

coogee (Richard)

• Like 11

Thanks Adam, you're right, "film talk is good talk" :)

Here's something totally different, Portra 400, Lux ASPH, CPL

Daybreak at Wellington Beach in Northern NSW.

24808089710_8b7a6b4bf3_b.jpg

Cheers,

coogee (Richard)

Richard - LOVE the blues in this.  So peaceful and full of character.  Thanks for sharing!

Newcastle

M240 2.8/28 Elmarit-M

• Like 7

Newcastle

M240 2.8/28 Elmarit-M

• Like 3

Bar Beach, NSW

M240, 3.4/21 SEM

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 10