Recommendations Wanted

Jared

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just got the Hyperdrive 3 within the last month.  With an SD card onboard it'll be a nice compact backup option. Also, personally, I'd take the Visoflex.  Its so small as to not make an appreciable difference.  Plus, if you do have need to use the T along the way, think about the experience of shooting without it (as with the 180) for an extended period of time.  When I get down to those details, its also just about the time I start asking my wife if she's got any more room in her backpack!   

Ooh, I had forgotten about that--very unpredictable weather in Patagonia no matter the time of year.  Of course, the backpack is waterproof so I'll be able to get everything out of the rain, but if I want to shoot in a drizzle... Hmm.  I really love the 24-90, but I don't really want to carry it for two weeks.  I'll think about that one.

- Jared

In your place I would take the zoom....as 'Leicaiste' notes, better weather protection and less need to change lenses (the best weather protection)....and besides that, you get AF....plus IS.  It takes advantage what the SL offers.  For me, the size weight tradeoff would be worth it.  For city shooting I'd rely on the M and/or SL with primes, but this is Patagonia.  

The Art Wolfe video I mentioned shows him primarily using 3 weather sealed zooms with AF and IS....16-35, 24-70 and 70-200.....this suffices for all but his long distance bird/wildlife shots.  After the SL 90-280, I wouldn't be surprised to see Leica offer a wide angle zoom, mirroring Art's approach using Canon (although his 24-70 is his least used).  Unfortunately the SL isn't there yet.....and when it is, the cost will be about 3 times as much as the DSLR....but a great system.

Everyone is different and has different preferences and shooting styles.  Whatever you take, I'm sure you'll make it work...probably not use it all....and have a great time.

Jeff

I think I've got the clobber reduced quite a bit. WATE, 50mm, and 180. That's just three lenses, the same as you were recommending, and I've got 16mm to 180 covered (with some gaps, obviously, ...

- Jared

There's a BIG gap between 50 and 180, and a lovely lens to fill that gap would be the Summicron-R 90.  You've already got the R-M adapter for the 180, and I think you will find that the 90 is a much more usable focal length, leaving the 180 for situations when you are positioned, with beanbag in place, etc...  The R-90 focuses twice as close as the M-90, and costs a lot less.  They are widely available.  They all do well, with the APO version especially sharp.

(sorry!)

scott

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

Unfortunately, I don't own any 90mm prime lenses. I sold my 90 APO and bought a 75mm because I couldn't reliably nail focus at 90mm on the M. I could bring the 75mm, but if I start adding many primes in there I might as well just take the 24-90 zoom instead--as others have pointed out it's weather proof, has auto focus and IS, and is a very solid performer. I think I'll try packing up a few different kits and see how cumbersome and heavy they get. Still leaning towards the 50 APO as my one city lens and concentrating on wide angle and the 180 for scenics. I know it's positively "anti Leica" to be thinking of focal lengths outside the rangefinder limits of 28-90, but for this trip it seems appropriate.

- Jared

I know it's positively "anti Leica" to be thinking of focal lengths outside the rangefinder limits of 28-90, but for this trip it seems appropriate.

The M has had a Visoflex for a  long time.....now just an electronic one.  Plus the R system.  And now the S and SL.  And some long Leica lenses to match.  You can even get some nice Leitz binoculars for those distant shots.  

Consider taking just the WATE (a true zoom), the SL zoom and the 180.  

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think Jono used a nice combination of equipment.

I think it was something like:   WATE, R 60mm Macro, your preferred M 90 or M 135 (e.g. I like the 50's silver Elmar 135/4 if available) or the small and light R 180mm/4.0 .

And maybe if there is enough room finally the SL 24-90. (You have it and you bought it for a reason, and it's probably the most weatherproof of all these lenses).

As a backup camera you could take a "cheaper" older camera that you can leave in the hotel room, for example a M9. or Mono or even a M8. (But maybe this is still too dangerous)

Stephan

I keep going back and forth, back and forth. I probably won't finalize the lens choice till the day before I leave. Going to limit it to three lenses, though. I'm sure about that much. Or maybe four. Five at most. Certainly no more than six.

Just kidding. Thanks for all the advice.

- Jared

• Like 1

I keep going back and forth, back and forth. I probably won't finalize the lens choice till the day before I leave. Going to limit it to three lenses, though. I'm sure about that much. Or maybe four. Five at most. Certainly no more than six.

Just kidding. Thanks for all the advice.

- Jared

Ditto! I have a trip to Namibia April/May and I am doing the same. flip flop.....

I would bring the 24-90 for sure. I think it can do 80% of your images and allows fast AF. Its the main reason to buy a SL IMO.

What it does not do is Tele and low light.

Therefore I would also bring a fast 35 or 50mm prime (either M or R) and a Tele lens (180mm?)

On my winter vacation I brought the SL+24-90, 35/1.4 and 50/2.0 M lenses for low light and the 55-135 T lens for Tele ( I dont have a R Tele lens) and the T with 23/2.0 as a backup or when I want to go out in the evening with just a small camera.

Worked well for me. 80% shot with the 24-90.

Well, the 180 APO Telyt R is a definite since that's my only lens over 90mm. The WATE is a definite, since landscapes are what this trip is all about, and I want to learn how to shoot ultra wides. Everything else is still up in the air. No question the 24-90 is a great lens and is weatherproof, but it's big and heavy. The 50 APO is likely since I love that lens, but it's not definite. Same for the 35mm. The 75mm APO is not very likely. I don't currently own a 90mm aside from the zoom. I'll let everyone know when I make up my mind.

I have a trip coming up shortly--two weeks in Patagonia including some time in Buenos Aires and Santiago.  Here is what I am planning on bringing from a photography standpoint:

* Leica SL

* Spare Battery

* Plenty of SD cards

* Leica T (as a backup and for telephoto use as described below)

* Visoflex for Leica T

* Good quality travel tripod that can handle the weight of the SL

* An empty sandbag that I can use as a weight for the tripod--it gets windy in Patagonia

* M Adapter T

* R Adapter M

* SF 40 flash and one set of spare batteries

* 24-90 Vario SL lens

* 16-21 WATE M lens

* 18-56 Vario TL lens

* 50mm APO Summicron-M lens

* 180mm APO Telyt-R lens

* Lens and camera cleaning supplies

* Chargers for the cameras

* Power outlet adapters

* Hand strap for the SL and neck straps for both cameras

Anything else anyone would recommend?  Anything that you wish you had brought on a similar trip but didn't?  Anything I should leave behind because it just wouldn't get any use?  Here is my thinking in general...

16-21 will be my primary landscape lens mounted to the SL.  

24-90 is, strangely, the one question mark on my list.  While it is a wonderful general purpose lens, I'm not sure I want to lug it around for a day of walking in Santiago or Buenos Aires, and I'm not certain what I will do with it at other times--leave it in a hotel?  I don't expect to need it too much for landscape work, frankly.  I might swap it out of my kit and instead add my 35mm FLE.  Really not sure here and would appreciate advice.

For walking around the cities, I was actually thinking of the 50mm for any low light work and the 18-56.  10mp crop mode is probably ample for street shooting, and I actually like how that lens handles on the SL.  I would also have the WATE, of course, for any indoor or architectural shots.

At the telephoto end, I really like the 180 Telyt, but that's not a very long lens for wildlife.  My understanding is that, with the exception of birds, 300mm is about ideal for most of the wildlife shots in Patagonia, so I thought I would mount the Telyt on the 'T' instead of the SL.  That gets me 270mm.  I'm leery of the non APO 2x teleconverter R since I have yet to read of anyone who was happy with the results, and the 2x APO teleconverter for this lens is awfully expensive.  Advice on tele use for Patagonia would be much appreciated.

I have a backpack I like a lot that I will be stuffing with various lens bags and the like.  It's a small, day-hike bag, but it fits me well, keeps all weight close and tight and will have room enough for food and water as well as the day's photographic equipment. None of the hikes/walks will be too strenuous as I will be traveling with my 79 year old father.  

What additional "must have" items would you bring?  What, from my list, would you leave behind?

I know topics like this come up often, but I could still appreciate the help since I have never taken a photo specific trip before.  Ever.

Thanks - Jared

Sandwiches?

I don't believe there IS a 1.4 extender that works with the APO Telyt-R 180.  The 1.4 made by Leica has an element that stick too far into the lens and would actually make contact with the rear-most element in the lens.  I'm not aware of any other 1.4's made in R mount.  I've got diffusors for my flashes, so no issue there.  Still thinking about whether the weather-proof aspects of the 24-90 make it a better choice than any of my 'M' mount lenses.  For this particular trip, I don't really care about AF and IS (though I love them both in other scenarios).

Thanks, all, and for those interested I'll post my final photographic packing list once I make up my mind.  The trip is about a week and a half out.

- Jared

I hope you bring a fly rod. Terrific trout fishing.

I am about to leave for Florida. I plan to take SL, 24-90 zoom, Summilux 50mm and a Sony Rx 100 vi. The 50 is for Leica shots when you tire carrying the zoom. The Sony fits in your pocket and has an excellent lens. I also own a T, but as a backup camera the Sony can't be beat as a combination of small size and image quality.

Michael

Regarding the weight of the 24/90, I think if you add up the weight of all those other lenses you listed it would equal or exceed the 24/90.  I had the same dilemma on a short trip to Abu Dhabi and decided to go with the 24/90 and a 180.  That covered everything I needed.  Since you want to do city stuff I guess I'd take the 50, too.

Good luck.  Sounds like the trip of a lifetime.

I don't believe there IS a 1.4 extender that works with the APO Telyt-R 180.  The 1.4 made by Leica has an element that stick too far into the lens and would actually make contact with the rear-most element in the lens.  I'm not aware of any other 1.4's made in R mount.  I've got diffusors for my flashes, so no issue there.  Still thinking about whether the weather-proof aspects of the 24-90 make it a better choice than any of my 'M' mount lenses.  For this particular trip, I don't really care about AF and IS (though I love them both in other scenarios).

Thanks, all, and for those interested I'll post my final photographic packing list once I make up my mind.  The trip is about a week and a half out.

- Jared

Hello Jared,

I wonder what makes you so sure about the 1.4 extender - did you actually try it ? Probably not because you think it does not exist ...

Maybe I mixed it up with my apo summicron 180, that works fine with the apo extender 1.4 .

But I found a list on apotelyt.com that specifies that it should also work with your slower 180mm f/2.8 Apo . But maybe they are telling lies or dreaming ?!

Maybe you should give it some time and look for more hints on the web before you give up too early.

Stephan

Here the official list - I stole this from an older forum entry from Canfred (I hope he won't mind):

Stephan

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

... But I found a list on apotelyt.com that specifies that it should also work with your slower 180mm f/2.8 Apo . But maybe they are telling lies or dreaming ?!

Maybe you should give it some time and look for more hints on the web before you give up too early.

Stephan

There are two versions of the R 2,8/180 APO. With the first Version you don't can use the 1,4 Extender and with the second Version you can use it. The second version has a different construction of the last lens element, exactly done to be able to use the 1,4 Extender

* Leica SL

* Spare Battery

* Plenty of SD cards

* Leica T (as a backup and for telephoto use as described below)

* Visoflex for Leica T

* Good quality travel tripod that can handle the weight of the SL

* An empty sandbag that I can use as a weight for the tripod--it gets windy in Patagonia

* M Adapter T

* R Adapter M

* SF 40 flash and one set of spare batteries

* 24-90 Vario SL lens

* 16-21 WATE M lens

* 50mm APO Summicron-M lens

* 180mm APO Telyt-R lens

that's it.

The SL + 24-90 as the main rig.

The WATE and the 50, on the SL, for the city and wide landscape.

The T as a backup.

Enjoy! :-)