Recommendations Wanted

Jared

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Jared,

I wonder what makes you so sure about the 1.4 extender - did you actually try it ? Probably not because you think it does not exist ...

Maybe I mixed it up with my apo summicron 180, that works fine with the apo extender 1.4 .

But I found a list on apotelyt.com that specifies that it should also work with your slower 180mm f/2.8 Apo . But maybe they are telling lies or dreaming ?!

Maybe you should give it some time and look for more hints on the web before you give up too early.

Stephan

Sorry if I wasn't clear on which 180 APO Telyt I own.  It's actually the f/3.4 not the later f/2.8.  As a result, the 1.4 extender won't work.  The 2x APO does work, but I have no interest in getting it--too much cost for something I doubt I will use at all.  If I were shooting birds, maybe, but for that I would really want auto-focus anyway.  I'm going to just stick with the 180 and either crop as necessary or, for a slightly higher pixel density, use the 'T'.

- Jared

OK, I've finally made up my mind on the packing list--for electronics and camera equipment, at any rate...

* Leica SL

* Spare Battery for SL

* Plenty of SD cards

* Leica T (as a backup and for telephoto use as described below)

* Visoflex for Leica T

* Good quality travel tripod that can handle the weight of the SL

* M Adapter T

* R Adapter M

* 16-21 WATE M lens

* 50mm APO Summicron-M lens

* 90mm Macro Elmar M lens

* 180mm APO Telyt-R lens

* Lens and camera cleaning supplies (it's windy and dusty)

* Chargers for the cameras

* Power outlet adapters

* 12" Macbook and power adapter

* SD card reader

* Waterproof backpack w/ various inserts for above

On day where I need to carry everything, this adds up to 17.5 pounds / 8kg with some room left over for food and water--it's a 27 liter pack.  While that is more than I WANT to carry on any given day, it is manageable.  From talking with the tour operators, I should be able to leave excess equipment behind safely in the hotel on days when I don't need it all.  I'll also have a small camera bag for use in the cities since backpacks aren't exactly convenient.  

Things I am sorry to leave at home?  The 24-90 is the major one, of course.  I'm also sorry I won't have a flash, but for fill light/landscapes I'll just use multiple exposures instead and combine in photoshop to get the dynamic range I need.  Obviously, I'll be sorry not to have the M for city use, but the SL is a much more flexible camera for use with the 16/18/21 and for the 180.  No filters--don't even own any to fit the Leica gear.  

This gives me wide angle for the landscapes--I'm comfortable at 21 in particular for this purpose.  It gives me the 50 for use in the city.  It gives me both 90mm and macro for those more tightly composed landscape shots and closeups.  It gives me the 180 for the occasional guanaco or fox.  It gives me a backup camera in case the SL conks out for some reason.  My city kit would be just the 16/18/21 and the 50 with the SL in a small bag.

I appreciate all the feedback and ideas.  I'm sure there is stuff I have missed, but this is already more than I expect I will use, and I don't think I have left any gaping holes.  I wanted to keep the pack down at 20 pounds with camera gear and water and some snacks, and I have managed that--just.  And at least a couple pounds of this stuff can stay in the hotels most of the time.  I'll have no real qualms about leaving the 180, the R adapter M, the 'T', the tripod, and the various chargers behind when I need to, and that would get the total weight down to around 11 or 12 pounds for the pack.  Not too bad.

- Jared

• Like 1

Would be interesting to see your percentage use of the different lenses/bodies; so please chime in when you are back! Possibly with some digital memories as well...

50APO and 90Macro-Elmar follows me everywhere when I am off, typically companied with either 21SEM or 28Cron/Lux. I think you have a good mix with WATE+50APO+90Macro-Elmar. 

Enjoy your shooting!

There are two versions of the R 2,8/180 APO. With the first Version you don't can use the 1,4 Extender and with the second Version you can use it. The second version has a different construction of the last lens element, exactly done to be able to use the 1,4 Extender

Hallo Ferdinand,

very interesting, but I could not find any details about this. Can you give me a hint where I can read more about it ? (How did you come to know ?)

Do they have different product numbers ?

Thank you       Stephan

Hallo Ferdinand,

very interesting, but I could not find any details about this. Can you give me a hint where I can read more about it ? (How did you come to know ?)

Thank you Stephan

It was possible to upgrade the first version of the Apo-Elmarit 180 to accept the Apo-Extender.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hallo Ferdinand,

Thank you       Stephan

Hi Stephan,

If you go to the Wiki on this site, and scroll down, you will see two versions of the APO-Elmarit 180/2.8.  You can then click through for further details.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

thanks for the link to the Wiki. The amount of information in there is phantastic !

But I have to admit that I cannot make up a difference between the "two versions" of the 2.8/180 apo. They look identical to me.

And I have only ever seen the "second version". And the 1.4 extender seems not to fit on the one I have seen.

I'm still puzzled.

Thanks anyway       Stephan

Hi John,

thanks for the link to the Wiki. The amount of information in there is phantastic !

But I have to admit that I cannot make up a difference between the "two versions" of the 2.8/180 apo. They look identical to me.

And I have only ever seen the "second version". And the 1.4 extender seems not to fit on the one I have seen.

I'm still puzzled.

Thanks anyway       Stephan

Under 'accessories', the Wiki shows 2x extender for version one, and both 1.4 and 2x for version two.

Jeff

Hi John,

I'm still puzzled.

Thanks anyway Stephan

It isn't immediately apparent. I have the version 1 APO and the only way I could tell was from looking up the year of manufacture or checking the model number engraved on the barrel, if it has one (some, like the 75 Summilux-M don't have the engraving - at least, mine doesn't). Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I am back in the U.S. after my trip to Patagonia.  The SL performed flawlessly.  Here is what I ended up actually taking (after flip/flopping about a dozen times)...

Leica SL w/ plenty of memory cards and two batteries

16-21mm WATE

50mm Summicron APO

90mm Macro Elmar

180mm APO Telyt-R

Adapters to attach above lenses

Leica 'T' body (as a backup)

Small notebook computer for image editing and backup

Gaits travel tripod

That was it.  No 24-90.  No 75mm.  No 35mm.  No 18-56 'TL' lens.  No flash.

In looking through my best images, I find that I used all three 'M' lenses quite heavily, and the 180 a little less heavily.  The 180 probably would have gotten equal use, but I didn't want to carry it on some of the tougher hikes (like the 18km hike to the 'Base of the Towers' in Torres del Paine).  

The SL behaved flawlessly.  No problems of any kind.  I took roughly 2,000 frames of which 465 are at least 'decent' (meaning I at least like looking at them, though I wouldn't show them to others).  Of these 465, roughly 70 are good enough to include in a slide show.  That's about as good a result as I could hope for.  Really, the only problem was that most of the events were hiking focused rather than photography focused, so there wasn't a lot of early morning or late evening light.  

What did I miss not having?  Well, a longer lens would have been nice for some of the wildlife.  Particularly for condors, foxes, caracaras, pumas, and rheas.  The guanacos are practically tame, so no need for more than 180mm for them.  Same for the penguins.  That's about it.  I never missed the 24-90.  

I used the 16-21 heavily for indoor shots in Buenos Aires and Santiago and for a few of the landscape shots.  The 180 worked well for what wildlife I was interested in.  Both the 90mm and the 50mm worked extremely well for most of the landscape shots, and the 50mm was also great in the cities.  

Here are a few samples...

OK, I am back in the U.S. after my trip to Patagonia.  The SL performed flawlessly.  Here is what I ended up actually taking (after flip/flopping about a dozen times)...

Leica SL w/ plenty of memory cards and two batteries

16-21mm WATE

50mm Summicron APO

90mm Macro Elmar

180mm APO Telyt-R

Adapters to attach above lenses

Leica 'T' body (as a backup)

Small notebook computer for image editing and backup

Gaits travel tripod

That was it.  No 24-90.  No 75mm.  No 35mm.  No 18-56 'TL' lens.  No flash.

In looking through my best images, I find that I used all three 'M' lenses quite heavily, and the 180 a little less heavily.  The 180 probably would have gotten equal use, but I didn't want to carry it on some of the tougher hikes (like the 18km hike to the 'Base of the Towers' in Torres del Paine).  

The SL behaved flawlessly.  No problems of any kind.  I took roughly 2,000 frames of which 465 are at least 'decent' (meaning I at least like looking at them, though I wouldn't show them to others).  Of these 465, roughly 70 are good enough to include in a slide show.  That's about as good a result as I could hope for.  Really, the only problem was that most of the events were hiking focused rather than photography focused, so there wasn't a lot of early morning or late evening light.  

What did I miss not having?  Well, a longer lens would have been nice for some of the wildlife.  Particularly for condors, foxes, caracaras, pumas, and rheas.  The guanacos are practically tame, so no need for more than 180mm for them.  Same for the penguins.  That's about it.  I never missed the 24-90.  

I used the 16-21 heavily for indoor shots in Buenos Aires and Santiago and for a few of the landscape shots.  The 180 worked well for what wildlife I was interested in.  Both the 90mm and the 50mm worked extremely well for most of the landscape shots, and the 50mm was also great in the cities.  

Here are a few samples...

First, the balconies and the roof of the Opera House in Buenos Aires.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Here is the fluke of a humpback whale--this is where I could have used a 300mm lens for sure!

• Like 1

Some cormorants watching the tide go out...

• Like 2

A single penguin on Magdalena Island...

• Like 1

A couple views of Torres del Paine...

First, a monochrome treatment...

• Like 1

Now in color from a slightly different vantage point...

• Like 4

A rarity in Patagonia--a clear sunrise...

• Like 6

The view from the "Base of the Towers"...

• Like 2

And, finally, a guanaco--something in between a llama and an alpaca...

• Like 4