Engraving my M7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So I am on my 2nd Leica. I started with a silver M6. I then got a Black M7 which I adore. It is my main camera. I have seen black Leica with the "Leica" Script and the "Leica Camera AG Germany" engraved on the top plate. 

I very much like this look and thought it was a way to personalize my M7 from others in a way that would not really damage any resale value and was somewhat subtle. 

I called the Leica store in LA to inquire about turnaround and pricing. I was told it's all done in Germany and I would be without my camera for 6 months !! Also that it's something that is really just part of the À la carte program. 

So my question is, Is this typical ? has anyone done this ? are there alternatives ? I live in Los angeles & New York so anything local would be good.

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

Yes it's typical,

Your M7 will need to go to Germany, it can be 'done for a price', it is effectively an 'A la carte' option for a pre-owned camera  ( 'pre owned' as opposed to a 'New' sale ) .

The top plate will need to be removed for the engraving to be carried out.  If you go ahead have no more than the 'Classic Script' applied, anything extra can considerably de-value the camera should you ever wish/need to sell in the future.  For example I recently purchased a S/H M7 A la carte that has the classic script but also a discreet personal engraving on the back of the top plate.  When I ran the camera 'spec' through the A la carte configurator the total cost came to £4,200.00 GBP , I would expect the usual S/H price to be in the order of £2000.00 but because of the personal engraving it was £1200.00 !!!   As it just happened to be the exact 'spec' I would have ordered  ( except for the personal engraving ) I snapped it up, stuck a small piece of electrical tape over the engraving.

Point being ..... get no more than the 'Classic Script' unless you know it will be going to the grave with you ;)   

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, Yes I thought of making personalized in anyway drops the value thru the floor. I'm not that guy anyway. I would just do the classic script. I think it looks cool.

"I recently purchased a S/H M7 A la carte that has"  ...   whats an "S/H" ?

So there is no other way, than going through Leica ? Would it be possible to buy a new top plate send THAT to Germany and then Swap the plates ? The old plate would still have value on eBay I am assuming. Not sure you would lose much money. I don't know i am just thinking outside the box. 

​I just don't want to be without my camera for 6 months. I guess I could always go buy another M7/6 or 3 even ? and dump it when I get mine back.

In the end it's just cosmetic but I do really want to do it

​I just don't want to be without my camera for 6 months. I guess I could always go buy another M7/6 or 3 even ? and dump it when I get mine back.

Short of Leica agreeing to do the work more quickly, I think that is going to be the most realistic option. If you buy one cheap enough you won't lose much when it comes to re-selling and you can look at the loss as part of the cost of having the top plate engraved.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Talk to Leica CS. The main delay for engraving a camera is booking a slot in the production line for the engraving, as Customer Service does not have an engraving facility. If they are willing to coordinate the sending in of the camera with the booked slot, it might not need a long wait.

Talk to Leica CS. The main delay for engraving a camera is booking a slot in the production line for the engraving, as Customer Service does not have an engraving facility. If they are willing to coordinate the sending in of the camera with the booked slot, it might not need a long wait.

I don't think the OP even faces that delay. As far as I can tell, he/she isn't looking for a personalised one-off engraving but simply the "Classic" top plate offered in the à la carte programme. Leica presumably keeps these in stock.

Well, if the parts are in stock he should be able to get a far better turnaround when dealing with Wetzlar directly.

Express service (not free) should see the camera on its return journey within the week. It is all down to UPS and customs clearance as a repair then.

Thanks for the replies, This is all good stuff

Jaapv: "Talk to Leica CS" Do you mean the national office ? I was dealing with the sales person who answered the phone @the Leica store LA

Wattsy: Yes, Just looking for the "classic" although that does have the serial # engraved on top as well so it may not be a "in stock" part. Then again it probably is as it is more efficient to have them in stock and then just engrave the number at the end and they are German.

Jaapv: "dealing with Wetzlar directly" how would one do that ? Do you mean the national office here in US or emailing Germany ?

Another option I discovered this evening is I remembered that there was a Japan only version of the M7 with this engraving already done. I could just swap it out. There are several available out there in good condition from the usual sources. 

My only hesitance with that is that I bought my M7 S/H and its a good one, in perfect order all sorted out.  As I will be ordering from Asia through the mail. There will be no holding it in my hand, seeing it, feeling it prior to purchase. Cosmetics are one thing and you can see those in a picture. Mechanicals are another. But I guess that could always be sorted out with a good tune-up/CLA

Edited by mbbnyc

Hello,

I have a completly other solution. Was looking for a long time to find somebody who can do engravings and ended up at a laser engraver here in Cape Town. They do such a perfect job for small money. They did the engraving on my M4 in the MP style (found the fonts on the web and photoshopped them in the size I wanted to have). I also renamed my Minolta Rokkor M 2.8/28mm to an Leitz Elmarit. The ring was machined bay the local workshop of the Obsevatory for nothing. Then engraved and anodised. Payed about $ 28,- each for the engraving.

Hope that helps.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

So I am on my 2nd Leica. I started with a silver M6. I then got a Black M7 which I adore. It is my main camera. I have seen black Leica with the "Leica" Script and the "Leica Camera AG Germany" engraved on the top plate. 

I very much like this look and thought it was a way to personalize my M7 from others in a way that would not really damage any resale value and was somewhat subtle. 

I called the Leica store in LA to inquire about turnaround and pricing. I was told it's all done in Germany and I would be without my camera for 6 months !! Also that it's something that is really just part of the À la carte program. 

So my question is, Is this typical ? has anyone done this ? are there alternatives ? I live in Los angeles & New York so anything local would be good.

Thanks in advance

I would take a different route and not change something that is working so well with you; there are a number of a la carte M7s that come up on eBay, here and in photo shops in NYC and LA, like B&H and Popflash.  IMHO, you can always use a third body and the folks at these places can help keep an eye out for you.

Here's an example, decent seller, M7 black paint, excellent condition:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-M7-0-72-A-La-Carte-Black-Paint-35mm-Film-Camera-body-Excelent-/301761212865?hash=item46425eb1c1:g:WjoAAOSw3ydV7ZQT

Stevesurf "I would take a different route and not change something that is working so well with you"

I don't get it how is that not changing what is working for me ?

​I have been looking at the Japan only version of the M7's lately on eBay and the engraving seems to be more of a  stamp, it does not seem like a real engraving, Can anyone comment on this ? Am I incorrect ? is it just a stamp or sticker even ?

I am still considering all options but still leaning towards just sending my camera in or waiting till it needs an adjustment and doing it then

• 2 weeks later...

​I have been looking at the Japan only version of the M7's lately on eBay and the engraving seems to be more of a  stamp, it does not seem like a real engraving, Can anyone comment on this ? Am I incorrect ? is it just a stamp or sticker even ?

If it is done by Leica, it is a real engraving. My black chrome M7 received the original engraving when this was still possible even for non a-la-carte bodies.

Cheers,

Andy