CS lenses

alan.y

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In live-view mode on the S007, is it possible use the central shutters of CS lenses only (without involving the FPS) as long as shutter speed is under 1/500? If so, do the central shutters enable very quiet and vibration-free exposures?

Edited by alan.y

Thanks Jip. My question wasnt clear. I recently used a Mamiya 7ii which has no focal plane shutter and exposes using only leaf shutters in lenses. I was impressed by the quietness and stability.

The S has a mirror and a focal plane shutter, but these are both open in LV. So my question is if you use CS in LV (under 1/500 or 1/1000), do you get close to the quietness and stability of the Mamiya?

Just tried it with a 120CS. First test with 1/800. Then short answer is no.

The normal mode for CS lenses is mirror up/close CS -> open/close CS shutter for exposure -> mirror down/open CS, and it seems to work that way even in live view, but mirror is taken down from LV to start this operation for same state as non-EVF. Mirror is down for as long as you have image preview, the mirror goes up and back to EVF mode.

I tried also in mirror up mode with EVF, and I am just guessing what happens: First close CS, then open/close CS for exposure. Both the OVF and EVF then goes black. Then press shutter release once more: Mirror goes down (OVF activated) and image is previewed, after preview mirror goes up and you are back in EVF mode. Still, a quite noisy set of operations.

Then tried 1/180:

EVF, not mirror lock-up seems to be as above.

WITH mirror lock up-however, the effect seems to be almost what you ask for: Only CS seems to fire, black display and OVF afterwards. Next press gives mirror down/OVF as long as image is displayed, then returns to EVF with mirror up. BUT, sometimes it stays in OVF after the second press, so EVF has to be re-pressed to get back into that mode. I need to investigate the logic behind this seemingly unpredictive result more.

I guess what you are asking for is a mode where just the CS is used without any mirror movement in EVF. It seems possible, for one shot at the time, but the second operation (with mirror) seems necessary to get to next shot. Maybe one could get a "silent mode" with EVF and mirror lock-up without image preview with a FW upgraade?

Edited by erlingmm
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you Erling.

I also have an 007 but do not have any CS lenses. I just took some shots in LiveView on mine (and in retrospect I should've done this before posting here). Indeed, even in LiveView mode, the mirror flips back down (opening OVF) and then up before the focal plane shutter fires. This mirror action, which seems unnecessary and doesn't happen on Canikon DSLRs in live view mode, introduces delay and vibration. Actually, even when reviewing image in live view, the mirror flips back up. I am curious why it happens. Is this to protect the sensor?

In other words, in live view the S007 cannot behave like a mirrorless camera that relies only on its FPS. If it did, then using CS in lieu of FPS would result in something like the Mamiya 7ii.

Well, it may not be "pure" leaf shutter, but with a CS lens and mirror lock up, it seems that only the CS mechanism fires, which should give you vibration protection.

The snag is that you need to press shutter once more to get back to OVF/EVF and the next shot, as I said I need to check more to find out how this works.

• Like 1

Checked again:

S007, S-120CS, Manual mode, f/4, 1/250, Auto review 5 seconds, EVF on:

1st shutter press: CS close -> CS exposure 

After exposure: OVF and EVF not active, assuming CS is closed

2nd shutter press: Mirror down, OVF active, Image displays for 5 seconds

After 5 seconds, mirror up, camera goes back to EVF mode

S007, S-120CS, Manual mode, f/4, 1/250, Auto review OFF, EVF on:

After exposure: OVF and EVF not active, assuming CS is closed

2nd shutter press: Mirror down, camera goes in OVF mode

• Like 1

Checked again:

S007, S-120CS, Manual mode, f/4, 1/250, Auto review 5 seconds, EVF on:

After exposure: OVF and EVF not active, assuming CS is closed

2nd shutter press: Mirror down, OVF active, Image displays for 5 seconds

After 5 seconds, mirror up, camera goes back to EVF mode

S007, S-120CS, Manual mode, f/4, 1/250, Auto review OFF, EVF on:

After exposure: OVF and EVF not active, assuming CS is closed

2nd shutter press: Mirror down, camera goes in OVF mode

Firstly: Sorry, forgot to mention that Mirror Up: On was set in both cases above.

And, to add to the confusion, I think exposure is actually on 2nd pressing, I think 1st pressing just closes CS. From the sound, I suspect mirror is moved too, I just don't understand how. 

And now, the camera goes back to EVF in both cases, after briefly having mirror up, even when there is no preview.

I am sorry, I can't fully figure out the logic here.

Anyway, it probably means if you want to use CS only, you first have to press shutter once, then you are without viewfinder until 2nd press and actual exposure.

Edited by erlingmm
  • Like 1