Monochrom CCD replacement sensor vs swap

Hayek

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I dropped my beloved M Monochrom mk 1 onto a concrete pavement just over a year ago. This knocked the rangefinder out of alignment, but thankfully everything else seemed to be working fine. It's a strong camera, is a Leica M. I kept meaning to have the rangefinder adjusted, but I ended up having a bit of a detour back into shooting film.

However, I eventually realised that it was silly to have a great machine like the M Monochrom just sitting around. I did use it occasionally, but it was a pain having to focus just using the scale on the lens. I sent the camera back to the mother ship in Wetzlar.

I've just had an email from them. Despite the fact that the camera is almost four years old, and has been heavily used, they're fully adjusting it, cleaning it, re-aligning the rangefinder, fitting a new sensor, and they're not charging me a cent.

I'm over the moon. That's customer service, and a half. Thank you, Leica. I'm one utterly delighted customer.

Colin

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

The bulk is identical between the MM1 and MM2...

It's not.

I unfortunately did the "upgrade" (side grade actually) from my corroded MM to the new MM2.

Apart form being an entirely different camera to handle it is and feels larger. It handles entirely differently, especially due to it's relocated control wheel, now under a thump hump top right back.

I have never been a "thumbs up guy" and never saw this accessory as an improvement in handling of a Leica M for myself, so naturally I loathe this development.

Another issue with greater bulk is Leica's design of the EVF port cover, which they say needs to be in place as of sealing the open port.

It is bulky and worse it is edged, hitting me in the forehead every single time I raise the camera to my eye (I am a left eye shooter).

I ignore Leica's advice to cover the port of course as I don't want to develop a Klingon forehead due to side grading to a newer generation camera.

Nicely, the Leica shop sales man that day heard my complaint about this ridiculous design and supplied me with a hot shoe cover from a Leica M262, which fixes that issue partly (still leaving the EVF cover exposed, which a piece of tape will have to fix.

The main issue with bulk though comes with the much larger and heavier batteries.

With my old Leica M digitals I would go out, slipping a single spare battery into a jeans pocket and shoot for an evening, knowing I have a spare if I need to.

With the newer cameras I have to pay attention to the charge the current battery still has (in order to save myself the big honking spare, bulging my jeans pocket) ans still heft all evening long a heavier camera body.

In my opinion these few little design decisions did indeed worsen the cameras design and handling, taken together they are getting in the way, hence my struggling in getting used to this new camera (struggling for a few weeks now).

If I would have the choice again, I would definitely NOT do this upgrade again.

Thank you, Jaapv,

It's this kind of customer service, which goes a long way to justifying the price of Leica equipment. And personally, it also makes me feel even more loyal to the marque.

Leica's customer service is legendary. I was lucky enough a few times to receive similar courtesy.

This is exactly the kind of customer service that makes one come back again and again and again and stick to a manufacturer rather than jumping form one brand to another for the slightest bit of a perceived advantage.

I don't like the new generation Leica M at all - to me they introduce all kinds of bad design decisions, making it worse cameras to use than any of the older generation Leica digitals - yet I am quite sure I will stick it out and hope for the next generation to be again more focussed as a product, closer to the Leica M I want.

Part of that is Leica's fantastic customer service.

The good thing about Leica is - as you have mentioned yourself - that you just dig out an old film M and tie you over not with a compromise but with an equally rich experience and great outcome, using the same lenses.

That new MM2 has made me appreciate my M7, M2 and M6 again and of course my old Rollei and east German Exakta - all great cameras that "upgrade" has opened up on me again.

Now I have to restock on chems and have to work on that sack of exposed film … maybe that was worth the upgrade fee ?

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

I sent my camera in for sensor replacement in mid December.  I have called 3 times and always am politely told the sensor for me has not yet arrived.  Everyone is always so nice and pleasant, but really - 4.5 months with no clue as to when the camera will be repaired?  Such wait times with no assurances are well beyond any other product I have ever purchased. 

• 2 weeks later...

For those who sent and received a body to NJ; do they send you an email or letter before they send the camera back to you, or do you just happen upon the return delivery once work is completed?

Edited by xenar

For those who sent and received a body to NJ; do they send you an email or letter before they send the camera back to you, or do you just happen upon the return delivery once work is completed?

I sent mine in through my local dealer, and communicate through them. They find out an item has been shipped when it arrives.

Edited by Chuck Albertson

Mine has been there and back very quickly thanks to the wonderful service at Leica Mayfair. I have had a long time out travelling and re-uniting the MM with the Nocti f1.0 and can confirm the match is still perfect, the OOC IQ is as good as it ever was with the exception that on the rare occasions i stop the Nocti down to f8, the images no longer show any deterioration marks. My long suffering M9 is away now being repaired with a new sensor FOC but they have asked for £200 for other things that need doing flexible board ZAZ (whatever that is). I am very much looking forward to get the M9 back in early June.

I have always received excellent communication and service from Leica Mayfair. I honestly, hand on heart, prefer the images from a CCD sensor, I tried the M240, had issues with sensor, did not like the images from the camera so went back to CCD sensors. I still have my M8 too that has been faultless to this day.

I just received my MM back today. It was sent to Leica NJ in middle December.  That is one crazy long wait.  Of course I love the camera.  It is my very favorite kit and is the ultimate in stealth shooting.  My dealer said he has seven cameras back to Leica and his customers are quite upset about the wait times for repair. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at posts 41 and 54 what's the story? Did you have second service in less than three months?

Just got my MM1 back today, serviced, calibrated, new sensor. No charge. It was with the factory since the end of march, but they were waiting for a batch of sensors. Delighted. Thanks, Leica!

Story is pretty much covered in post 41, I thought. Post 54 was just to give an idea to anyone awaiting a similar repair, of how long it took the factory to repair and return my camera. So, in short, I sent my camera back to the factory in March 2016 (post 41), and got it back today (post 54). Just the one service. Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...
Guest jvansmit

That's why they call it a "goodwill" repair.

Leica seem to be quite inconsistent with their warranty approach. I wasn't so lucky with my Q. It went in for a repair to the AF/manual focusing clutch (tab), and Leica wouldn't fix it under warranty, saying that the small 2mm scratch on the bottom plate was 'impact damage':

General conditon of product: Trace of used, display scratched, impact.

Necessary labour costs: Exchange focal length adjustment ring, exchange lettering ring/ classification, adjustment of all parts.

Necessary materials: Lens, complete.

Repair cost : HK$12,550.00 (approx. $1600)

After escalating up to a very senior level, Leica eventually agreed that I need only pay 10% of the costs with the HK distributor adding on a 'service fee'. I was extremely ticked off.