007 on empty battery

erlingmm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had a long walk in the cold in Norway today, a few minus C. I had forgotten to charge the battery, so I started with only 2 bars. After close to 100 shots I got a warning for low battery, and the camera stopped displaying after shots. When I came home I discovered nothing had been recorded either.

What surprised me was that I actually could press the shutter and it was released.

Has anyone else tested the camera behaviour on empty battery?

Edited by erlingmm

Hi,

I tried to follow the manual and make 3 full charges during first use. So I did indeed use the S007 when the battery was showing 2 and also only 1 bar. No issue, the battery and camera kept working normally.

• 4 weeks later...

I've noticed unusual  behaviour when the battery is low. Every other DSLR I've used has a point beyond which the camera simply stops operating however I've noticed my 007 's functions stop one by one, presumably those with the highest energy requirements go first. I've been able to use autofocus, shoot, activate the top LCD and the rear LCD. Autofocus went first, then live view, then the rear LCD but it continued to fire and display the top LCD before finally saying the battery was exhausted.

Is this a glitch or an attempt by Leica to potentially let the photographer shoot until the VERY end of the battery?

I also noticed this behaviour with a 006 at the store when I first began looking at the S series.