Slow start up?

LeicaGuy2014

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for the replies. I have contacted Leica support, waiting to see if they reply.

My biggest gripe is that we shouldn't have to experiment a configuration that works. The experience out of the box should be "it just works".

If it is a pro camera, I want to use that second slot without problems.

Did a quick test on my camera.

Two Lexar Professional 64GB UHS-I gave approximately 1.5s start up time.

One Lexar 64 GB UHS-I and one Lexar 64 GB UHS-II gave approximately 0.5s start up time.

Tried with some older 16 GB cards in slot one. Never got more than approximately 3s start up time, but two of them gave warnings about inappropriate formatting and one gave almost 10s shut down time.

My SD is 32G, the double slot starts slowly, the electronic products of 1.3 or so I idiotic if ready to sell.

I understand your SD is 32g.   The rest I don't understand.  Especially "the electronic products of 1.3".  I understand from your other posts you are frustrated and want some fix all firmware right away.  However, neither right away nor fix-all is likely.  

[...]

Format FULLY in SD formatter before use

Format (Quick) in SD formatter when full [...]

I'm afraid that I do not understand why one would use 'Format FULLY' because it does nothing but erase (overwrites) already used cells, and besides with a new card it does nothing but waste your time. It does not check the integrity of the card, nor does it reallocate bad blocks/sectors because that part of the card is untouchable, even with SD Formatter.

Edited by pico

If you only delete files, you will still have the file structure, hidden files etc on you card afterwards. You might over time end up with a fragmented card, slowing down read and write.

If you format your card, it will delete all the file structure, hidden files etc.  Your files will be written to a clean card, allowing optimal distribution of the data on the card.

The best alternative is to use the "SD Formatter" software from the SD Association to format the card. they write on their home page:

"The SD Formatter was created specifically for memory cards using the SD/SDHC/SDXC standards. It is strongly recommended to use the SD Formatter instead of formatting utilities provided with operating systems that format various types of storage media. Using generic formatting utilities may result in less than optimal performance for your memory cards."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...