New Leica M in September 2016? The speculations.

Paulus

Is this topic now about Apples? BTW, I remember when Apple was the Beatle's recording company.

Let's make this even more off topic, isn't it 'The Beatles' and not 'The Beatle's' or are you referring to some lesser known pop group? :D

I'm still happy with my 2009 Mac Pro. I have maxed out it's RAM and put in a SSD and it quite fast. I am disappointed that Apple has said it will not run the newest OS 'Sierra'. In a couple years I will be forced to replace it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haha, mine cannot go further than Snow Leopard! :D

Edited by Paulus

Did we speak too soon...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by outspann

With the incentive of the rebate program "on all Leica M cameras excluding Leica M (Typ 262) and Leica M-D (Typ 262)" ending October 31, how can it not be but logical that Leica would launch a new M?  The marketing window for the new M opens with Photokina, then gets a rebate bump to promote new sales. Speculations, then? Leica engineers have to be waging their careers that this will be the best M, yet. More MP, higher ISO. Speculative disappointments. The viewfinder clutter of my MM246 viewfinder with its stacked 50mm and 75mm frame lines is a sorry disappointment. I speculate Leica marketing/engineering will hang onto this off-the-shelf model.

• Like 1

Did we speak too soon...

I don't think that we did.  A cosmetic firmware update for the S, a toy camera, this year's M240 variant (Titanium), [did I miss the new T?], a new service business, an expensive hand grip for the SL, a delay in releasing one SL lens and the leisurely introduction of 4 other ones.

The announcement of the event is surely the medium format Fuji system which, combined with the new Hasselblad system, must start to eat into Leica's (potential) customer base (just as Sony may have been doing from below and may well join Fuji and Hasselblad in the low volume fast margin business above).

• Like 1

I don't think that we did.  A cosmetic firmware update for the S, a toy camera, this year's M240 variant (Titanium), [did I miss the new T?], a new service business, an expensive hand grip for the SL, a delay in releasing one SL lens and the leisurely introduction of 4 other ones.

The announcement of the event is surely the medium format Fuji system which, combined with the new Hasselblad system, must start to eat into Leica's (potential) customer base (just as Sony may have been doing from below and may well join Fuji and Hasselblad in the low volume fast margin business above).

Exactly, this is what I am saying, their unique product is the M, they should capitalize on that....I am really excited...about the Fuji!

Rather pleased I put money into a used SL (great results with 21 SEM and long M glass + R 80-200).  Happy to wait for whatever happens with the M now as all my needs are currently being met.  Whatever the limitations of the M-240's EVF, it remains a superlatively useful tool for my professional practice and personal projects...

Edited by chris_tribble
  • Like 1

There is another opportunity to announce a new M beyond Photokina just two days before the rebate for the current M ends:

http://leicarumors.com/2016/09/18/leicas-36th-annual-oskar-barnack-awards-to-be-held-in-germany-september-28th.aspx/#more-41957

I don't think so, at this point I believe we won't see anything new before spring 2017, at least. I think they want as much as possible for the current M users to buy into the SL, as I believe it will not be easy for them to get non current Leica shooters moving to Leica because of the SL. Edited by Giulio Zanni