Which bag for the SL

IkarusJohn

As expected the design & construction are immaculate. I bought it through Fogg's UK agent, Robert Poole; the initial discussions about customising were direct with bee berman in France - a real pleasure from beginning to end.

As some of you may have realised, the UK distributor is Robert White - who happen to be in Poole!

• Like 1

Park Cameras is offering a complimentary 'Thinktank Retrospective 20' shoulder bag when the SL/24-90/90-280 is bought as a package … as if the camera and two lenses fit inside. 

dunk

I have Thinktank Retrospective 30 and SL fits well with both Zooms (24-90 and 90-280). I also have space for Noctilux in holder and LeicaQ. Alternatively flash fits in instead of LeicaQ (I think - did not try that setup yet). So far I found this bag the best for the set. My SL is in the bag with 24-90 and hood on. If needed I can post pictures of my bag.

Edited by rubaga

I have Thinktank Retrospective 30 and SL fits well with both Zooms (24-90 and 90-280). I also have space for Noctilux in holder and LeicaQ. Alternatively flash fits in instead of LeicaQ (I think - did not try that setup yet). So far I found this bag the best for the set. My SL is in the bag with 24-90 and hood on. If needed I can post pictures of my bag.

I wonder how much the weight with Noct & Q included..that would be uncomfortable for long walk. For me, more than 5kg(including bag) I much prefer using the backpack..

If you can't go for pretty, you can always for for "look at me" for a mere $2800 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Warning: the following message contains an opinion:

I don't understand why camera bags are so ugly.

Warning: not politically correct or gender neutral...

Maybe because they seem mostly to be designed for men.  Women have better taste and knowledge about bags, and even their camera bags are typically more fashion worthy...  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/963025-REG/jo_totes_b002_womens_camera_bag.html

Jeff

If you can't go for pretty, you can always for for "look at me" for a mere $2800 

I don't think I have to have one of those, but ooh la la ... !  :rolleyes: 

I also don't know what "pretty" means with respect to a camera bag. I want my bags to work well without too many fussy bits hanging off and around. The "National Geographic" bags with their bazillions of flaps, straps, pockets, and other fussy crap are the antithesis of style for me. The Billingham L2 is functional, simply designed, and durable ... that is a good style for what I like, but I don't know that I can call it "pretty". 

Warning: not politically correct or gender neutral...

Maybe because they seem mostly to be designed for men.  Women have better taste and knowledge about bags, and even their camera bags are typically more fashion worthy...  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/963025-REG/jo_totes_b002_womens_camera_bag.html

Jeff

You may have a point. 

But it often surprises me that photographers who you'd imagine ought to have heightened visual awareness and sensitivity often seem to care little about what things look like. 

You may have a point. 

But it often surprises me that photographers who you'd imagine ought to have heightened visual awareness and sensitivity often seem to care little about what things look like. 

You mean like this? (I understand models go into the profession just for the opportunity to wear once-in-a-lifetime gorgeous outfits.....)

http://www.thevestguy.com/product/500104

• Like 1

I wonder how much the weight with Noct & Q included..that would be uncomfortable for long walk. For me, more than 5kg(including bag) I much prefer using the backpack..

I agree. This is the bag where I carry equipment. Normally for a walk I would take camera with one or two lenses. Would unpack the unnecessary equipment.

I do like the way Billingham bags look. I have a few of them. Use them with my M. So far I did not fit the SL kit + Noctilux + accessories easily into the Billingham bag. May well be because Thinktank bag was so accommodating and easy to use.

ThinkTank are probably the ones I find least ugly. 

Some are truly repulsive and probably constitute an offence against human rights.

Ugly and pretty are relative..one you found ugly might be pretty to someone else..probably you haven't met bag maker like Wotancraft, Holdfast, Onabag, Oberwerth etc etc, all make beautiful bag. Above all ugliness for camera bag, I will always chose functionality and versatility first.

• Like 1

I prefer my camera bags not to be 'pretty' lest they also seem attractive to others.  Form Firmly Follows Function for me. B)

Pete.

The thing is, most of these bags are supposed to look good (I imagine) but are in fact nasty-looking excrescences.

You can be discreet and put form first without having to be ugly, surely.

Edited by Peter H
  • Like 1