Which bag for the SL

IkarusJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As an update, after reading the replies and doing a lot of research I tried out the thinktank urban disguise 35 and ended up buying it.  It can hold the SL with either a 90-280  or the 24-90 attached, plus the other lens, plus filters, a flash (and a notebook if needed).  I have had other thinktanks and like the design, weight and layout.  It is middle of the road expensive but worth it in quality and not flashy.

Thanks for all the input!

Think I am going to order a ThinkTank digital holster 20.  Looks like it might be just a tad tight lengthwise but I will see.  Looks v well made.

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/digital-holsters/products/digital-holster-20-v2

ThinkTank are good products.

Another holster that works well with the SL is the Ruggard Hunter Pro 75 - although I'd recommend you swap the strap for one of the great "springy / sticky" straps from OpTech.

The Ruggard is lightweight, strong, holds its shape and fits the SL with 24-90 (with lens hood in shooting position).  Even fits a WATE+adapter, wrapped in a lens wrap at the bottom under the lens.

However, I often walk long distances and I find that the holster bags put too much weight on one side, causing back pains and hip pains.  So I am now experimenting with sling bags so I can walk with the weight more-or-less centred on my back.  The ThinkTank TurnStyle 20 will just fit the same as the Ruggard holster but is a little less convenient for access.  I'll test it out for a month or so.

Regards

Peter

PS. I am confessed camera bag junkie...

• Like 1

ThinkTank are good products.

Another holster that works well with the SL is the Ruggard Hunter Pro 75 - although I'd recommend you swap the strap for one of the great "springy / sticky" straps from OpTech.

The Ruggard is lightweight, strong, holds its shape and fits the SL with 24-90 (with lens hood in shooting position).  Even fits a WATE+adapter, wrapped in a lens wrap at the bottom under the lens.

However, I often walk long distances and I find that the holster bags put too much weight on one side, causing back pains and hip pains.  So I am now experimenting with sling bags so I can walk with the weight more-or-less centred on my back.  The ThinkTank TurnStyle 20 will just fit the same as the Ruggard holster but is a little less convenient for access.  I'll test it out for a month or so.

Regards

Peter

PS. I am confessed camera bag junkie...

I am a bit unsure if the SL will fit the think tank 20 as overall length is just a little short of the camera and lens. Will see soon.

• Like 1

I have two bags for my SL. 

Both bags fit 90-280. Here is how. 

Bag 1 ... Leica grey canvas bag. Beautiful. Fits SL with the attached 90-280 without the hood or hood reversed. 

Bag 2 ... Hadley Pro Large. Very versatile as it holds all my M lenses, and SL with 90-280 and good attached. 15in MacBook fits as well. 

Peak Design Everyday Messenger.

Takes as much or as little as you need. I tried loading it the other day witht he SL, the two zooms, Noctilux and 21 Summilux, M-L adapter, filters, batteries etc.  it all fits neatly, though the end result is more than I would carry for too long.

For that load, I would probably rather use a Tenba backpack, or my new Cactus Outdoor Patrol daypack. It's unpadded, but it has a top pocket in the lid and a camelback pocket in the back, which would take the long zoom ...

Edited by IkarusJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Revisiting this thread ... I thought I'd post a follow-up since it's now been more than half a year since I started using the SL as my primary, go-to camera. Time flies! And I find the SL seems to become better and better the more I've used it. 

• I posted about it in http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/252169-which-bag-for-the-sl/?p=2933774 on November 21: as followup, I've found the Billingham L2 to be my choice for day to day carrying the SL with either just one of the big lenses (SL24-90, Super-Elmarit-R 15mm) or with two of the more normal sized lenses (such as Elmarit-R 24 + Elmarit-R 90). 
  • A Black Label Bag "Oskar's One Day Bag Mark II" works well for a three lens kit, say WATE + Summicron-R35 + Summicron-R 90. That's what went with me to Palm Springs in December, and to NY in April. 
  • A Tenba Messenger Mini carries a 'big kit' of SL, one or two of my larger lenses (Telyt 250/4 v1), plus the SL24-90 and a couple of the primes. I'm pretty sure the SL90-280 would fit in there along with camera and the SL24-90 and WATE. I've only used this kind of kit a couple of times for lack of time to go out with the longer lenses. Perhaps more later this Summer/Fall. 
  • On the neck/hand strap sideline, I worked with Harry Benz for a bit. He came up with a configuration of the La Cravate Brogue hand strap that works a treat for me and the SL. Delightful feel and quality, doesn't get in the way, etc. 

I've stopped looking for bags and straps for the SL now. These work nicely for me. 

• Like 3

Ok, Think Tank holster 20 v2.0 arrived today. Have to say that it is a superbly well designed and produced bag with highest quality stitching, metal hooks and D rings and a very good quality, padded strap.  The bottom of the lens pouch area can be unzipped and ingeniously extended. 

However, as suspected from careful measuring, it is a bit tight lengthways for the SL with 24-90 attached (without extending the depth).  Fit around the body is good - it is just that the eye piece protrudes just a little above the top of the bag.  I use the Leica padded strap which also needs some room - and there is nowhere to carry the lens hood.  Will try it again tomorrow.  Perhaps could pack it carefully for travelling then on days out unzip the bottom bit to create more space for strap. 

My my back up for first vacation with the SL is a Billingham Hadley small. It fits nicely in there on its side and there is ample room to coil up the strap and also stow the hood.  On its side, the SL height (hot shoe to base) is just a tad more than the natural width of the bag so it ever so slightly pushes the bag apart. But nothing to worry about given the Billingham soft interior. 

For traveling I have a very clever Manfrotto backpack..it's clever because the zipper it on the inside, it's against your back as you wear the pack, making it also impossible for a light fingered citizen to open the pack if you have it on. It's also big enough for 2 SL bodies, both zooms, 2 M bodies, 28, 50, 75 and 90 M lenses plus adapter, both chargers, batteries, spare cards etc etc and a Microsoft Surface 4 tablet...agreed it weighs a ton, but I get everything in one bag.

It's also big enough for 2 SL bodies, both zooms, 2 M bodies, 28, 50, 75 and 90 M lenses plus adapter, both chargers, batteries, spare cards etc etc and a Microsoft Surface 4 tablet...agreed it weighs a ton, but I get everything in one bag.

I'm impressed that you can even stand up with all that weight on your back!  I am chuckling over my mental image of you standing up and then immediately falling over backwards...   :lol:

• Like 2

Lowepro did that concept a few years back, they're still in production. I think they call them the "flipside" or something like that. I tried one but couldn't get on with it ... too difficult to get the gear in and out for me. Probably great if you want to move a load of gear through airports, trains, and busses but not a 'shooting bag'. 

As an update, after reading the replies and doing a lot of research I tried out the thinktank urban disguise 35 and ended up buying it.  It can hold the SL with either a 90-280  or the 24-90 attached, plus the other lens, plus filters, a flash (and a notebook if needed).  I have had other thinktanks and like the design, weight and layout.  It is middle of the road expensive but worth it in quality and not flashy.

Thanks for all the input!

I'm in the market for a shooting session bag with this same capacity: body and both zooms, SF64 flash, and the option of a tripod internally or externally, but not bigger than this.

I note the Thinktank Urban Disguise 35 - it may be exactly what I want, especially as it seems to hold the zooms vertically, making access easy.

Any other suggestions of the smaller lighter backpack or messenger/sling type, with a grab handle? I have a Lowepro backpack to dispose of (too many pockets and zips, making it bulky and heavy, but tough).

My irritation with a backpack is the bulky straps that get in the way and catch on things when you're not wearing it.

Paul, 

I have wondered for some time if someone makes a camera backpack with a carrying frame with all the straps and gubbins on the frame, including straps to hold a decent medium weight tripod. Once you had arrived at your shooting location, you would detach the frame and then have a regular camera bag which would sit on the ground or other surface. You would be able to leave the cover open while working and all your bits and pieces would be on view and freely accessible. Now with the SL, various lenses, filters, filter holders, batteries, hoods and so on and so on, it has become too much for me to carry around in a shoulder bag. I do have a lovely quality Jill-E suede roller bag which will hold everything but the wheels are too small for anything other than smooth surfaces. 

Wilson

That sounds a good idea.

Back when I was a student I had an army surplus frame, essentially a rack of aluminium strip with webbing straps. It was remarkably comfortable and I travelled across Europe with tent, sleeping bag, cooking pots, army surplus rucksack and geological hammer all strapped individually to it.

Something similar, perhaps a bit more sophisticated, might work for photography sessions.

I'm a lurking forum reader with SL, vario-elmar and som M/R primes. I have the Seekoutside Peregrine with a Revolution frame. A tripod can be carried strapped to the revo-frame or in the side pockets. The system is modular, a frame with straps and a bunch of different bags depending on activity (or just the frame with equipment strapped directly on).

...I have my seekoutside pack(s, I also use the Precipice bag) for hiking mostly, but the revo-peregrine is good for daytrips with heavy photo gear. One of the benefits with the frame is that it is adjustable in height, so it can be used as a carry on bag for air travel (shortened) or a long frame suitable for quite heavy loads.

...they also have a panel loader bag designed for photographers, the Exposure bag.

//Johan

• Like 2

The same people who made the Peak Design Everyday Messenger bag, that has received such good reviews, just revealed that they are developing two backpack type camera bags.  Apparently, the only difference will be the size. 

Mark B

• Like 2

The same people who made the Peak Design Everyday Messenger bag, that has received such good reviews, just revealed that they are developing two backpack type camera bags.  Apparently, the only difference will be the size. 

See post #253...

• Like 1

I'm impressed that you can even stand up with all that weight on your back!  I am chuckling over my mental image of you standing up and then immediately falling over backwards...   :lol:

In my young and dumb days I jumped out of a plane with a 80lb pack, a 23 lbs LMG and once with a 110lb German Shepard ! so this is OK, but I'm not that young and dumb anymore, so this is the limit....