Which bag for the SL

IkarusJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

re: the think tank backpack page ... 

Whew. Looking at that bag full of gear makes me wince. I'm not very good at being a pack mule.  :huh:

Yes, indeed. But if you want to carry SL+zooms+a couple of M lenses (fast/wide)+MacBook+iPad, then a backpack is a viable option. I quite like ThinkTanks or there is a similar Crumpler. The half packs don't take the SL zooms, but are fine for M lenses.

I have the Crumpler Roady 7500 (a sling bag) and it easily carries: SL+Nikon 58/1.4G, Zeiss ZF25/2.8, R90mm-Apo-Summicron, R35-Summicron; plus adaptors, plus batteries, plus iPad and some filters. As for weight, there is a cross body strap that takes the weight of the shoulder and onto the hips which makes it easy to carry all day and still get at the lenses.

The SL + R-80-200/4 zoom fits in length ways and other lenses in bags can sit on top of underneath.

I also have the Peak Design messenger bag - which is awful as a shoulder bag (far too stiff), but works very well as a sling when the hip strap is used to sling it half over the back and it takes all the weight off the shoulders too.

I am now a fan of sling bags - anybody have any experience of the Lowepro Slingshot Edge 250?

I am now a fan of sling bags - anybody have any experience of the Lowepro Slingshot Edge 250?

I have experience with the Slingshot 200AW (the previous generation) with a Nikon SLR and a couple of lenses, and whilst the concept worked well in getting stuff in and out, I felt it too restrictive to always have the weight on the same shoulder and the material in the strap caused too much perspiration in warmer climates.

• Like 1

There is quite a load to hold both VE SL zooms, SL body + Noctilux and 21Lux. My choice is a suitable backpack which I am still searching for.

I'm searching that kind of backpack too, what do you think about new peak design everyday sling and backpack? I still think this is the closest if not the perfect bag I'm looking for

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cRQOD4S2PUs

Edited by Arai

The PD backpacks look good. I don't use backpacks often, but they're great for transporting gear when traveling, particularly if your travel takes you off and on various trains, busses, etc, frequently. I find them very difficult to work with when shooting, so one of the first things I stuff into a backpack is a smaller bag that I'll use to go shooting with, presuming I have somewhere secure to stash the backpack.

Sling bags are always difficult ... I've had a few, found them great for a short time, and gave up on them later. I find them virtually impossible to predict from the pictures: you only know if they work for you if you use them. Right now I have three and only use them occasionally in the field; they are mostly used to store gear.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The PD backpacks look good. I don't use backpacks often, but they're great for transporting gear when traveling, particularly if your travel takes you off and on various trains, busses, etc, frequently. I find them very difficult to work with when shooting, so one of the first things I stuff into a backpack is a smaller bag that I'll use to go shooting with, presuming I have somewhere secure to stash the backpack.

Sling bags are always difficult ... I've had a few, found them great for a short time, and gave up on them later. I find them virtually impossible to predict from the pictures: you only know if they work for you if you use them. Right now I have three and only use them occasionally in the field; they are mostly used to store gear.

That's why I bought/backed two bags, 20L backpack and sling. The pockets, the way access the bags, its features, are the ones I'm looking for, even better, well hoepfully ;)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KE807Xrhh34 (Sling)

I use the Peak Design smaller messenger bag as a sling bag and it works very well for me although if anything slightly large for a one camera and lens outing, which is normal MO.  I've pre-ordered the Peak Design Sling bag because it looks to be about the right size for one camera and lens plus tablet and the odd accoutrement.

Pete.

I have stopped buying anything off Kickstarter or any of the other crowdfunding/advance arrangements to pay for stuff in development or productionisation. I have never yet managed to receive the final article. Luckily I have been able to get my money back on a couple of them. The most recent one was the Textblade bluetooth super compact iOS keyboard. I paid for mine in February 2015 and as of two weeks ago, still had not received it (received plenty of excuses), so managed to get a refund. If companies as well known as Peak Design are using Kickstarter, it is only because it is a cheap option for them against bank finance. If it is because the bank wont lend them money, why should I? I can see the attraction for a small development team with a great idea but no track record but I think it is a misuse of Kickstarter, to use it as for regular finance, for an established company. 

Wilson

I understand your position and I don't disagree, Wilson.  

Personally I would like to see this excellent company and brand survive and thrive and I would prefer to help finance it rather than see it financed by a body which might alter its direction to align with the 1001 other bag companies and stifle its superb creativity and innovative design.  Of course this is hardly selfless on my part because this brand is a sound 'bet' now and I stand to receive a small return on my investment.

Pete.

• Like 2

There is quite a load to hold both VE SL zooms, SL body + Noctilux and 21Lux. My choice is a suitable backpack which I am still searching for.

I have one of these and it should handle everything you mentioned without any wasted space or weight.  (Tamrac Anvil Slim 15 Photo Backpack

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X5LHFH2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am under severe pressure from SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) to organise a trip to South America, including Rio. She has obviously been watching too much Olympics. I am therefore looking at getting a back pack similar to the one below, 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

That's very amusing, Wilson.  :D

I do agree with you in principle.. Personally, I don't buy too much stuff that isn't in the market already and well-proven. But all three of the Kickstarter projects I've contributed to have worked their way through to good, solid products that I have been pleased to receive. I think the risks associated with buying from a company as solid as Peak Design through a Kickstarter funding/marketing campaign are quite minimal and can't be much problem as long as you're not in a hurry. 

Ok, two things:  first, some time ago I thought (and wrote) that I could never afford an SL 90-280 "in this lifetime."  Turns out that was incorrect.  I now have one...in this lifetime.

Second, now my question is how to carry this full SL kit without shortening my lifetime.  I have the SL, the 24-90, the 90-280 and I also carry the M 50 lux with adapter and an SF40 flash, with a few extras like 2 extra batteries and a polarizer.  Though I used to be an athlete, that was 50 years and 30 pounds ago. 

I tried several bags.  I may be one of the few people on earth who is not wild about the Peak Design Everyday Messenger bag.  I find that the shoulder strap is quite uncomfortable and the "wonder" dividers limit rather than help flexibility in arranging the contents.

I finally found a pack that allows me to carry the camera kit for several hours without pain...I now have the Think Tank Photo Trifecta 10.  There actually is not a huge amount of free space in this bag but it easily holds everything I described above.  The advantage for this kit is that the bag is very tall and was designed for you to carry either lens mounted on the camera.  The backpack configuration with comfortable shoulder straps makes it much easier to carry with balanced weight distribution.  I think another advantage with this pack is that, for a backpack, it is quite streamlined.  That allows easier walking through crowded areas.  Finally, the bag has two side opening flaps for access so you don't need to take the pack all the way off to get to the equipment. 

I've only had this bag for two days but so far it seems to really be working for me.

Mark

• Like 2

I tried several bags.  I may be one of the few people on earth who is not wild about the Peak Design Everyday Messenger bag.  I find that the shoulder strap is quite uncomfortable and the "wonder" dividers limit rather than help flexibility in arranging the contents.

Mark

I agree completely about the uncomfortable shoulder strap which is why I sold the bag.

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my Fogg b-major in dark grey canvas and brown leather, with an added non-standard grab handle.

As intended, it comfortably accepts the SL plus both zooms (hoods reversed). The intervening insert has a loose flap that allows the lower lens to be removed easily. The 90-280 fits with the hood in shooting position, but it is difficult to squeeze in. There's space left over for, say, the SF64 flash. This is just a first effort with the inserts - I may change the arrangement in future.

This is NOT a combo I want to be walking the streets with, but it is ideal for carrying stuff to an event, then, with the SL plus one lens in hand, keeping the bag over the shoulder with the other lens and bits.

As expected the design & construction are immaculate. I bought it through Fogg's UK agent, Robert Poole; the initial discussions about customising were direct with bee berman in France - a real pleasure from beginning to end.

Edit: for those interested in such comparisons, the b-major is very similar in size to the Billingham Fstop1.4: the former is slightly shorter end-to-end, slightly deeper front-to-back but crucially is deeper top to bottom, allowing nothing to poke over the top lip and allowing the flap to be fastened comfortably. The Billingham will be going on ebay soon (where I bought it).

Edited by LocalHero1953

Paul, 

Could you please see if you can rotate the camera 90º so that it is lens down and if the 90-280 will fit alongside (hood normal or reversed) and take a picture if it works. This would be on the basis, that it would be quicker to reverse the hood, than to extract the 90-280 from the bottom of the bag. That looks to be the best bag yet and unlike my Billy 225, you don't have a narrow zip slot to extract the camera out of but an open top. That is the only thing that spoils the 225. I wish they had put in double zips for the top compartment with a roll up flap, to leave a wider access slot. It does have an over-flap that you could leave draped over to keep out light rain and dust, even with the centre compartment cover unzipped and rolled up. 

Whether I can afford a Fogg, depends on how many of my bids succeed at the Late Robert White's Bonhams auction.  :)

Wilson

Wilson, the SL+24-90 fits well, but the 90-280 protrudes 45-50mm above the front lip. The flap will pull shut and fasten, with the emphasis on "pull", and it leaves the bag looking asymmetric. There's a removable padded base insert, but it wouldn't give you the extra 45mm - perhaps reduced to 35-40mm - and I wouldn't want to do without it; the strap goes around the base, but it is still a bit vulnerable without padding.

There's plenty of room between the two items in the bag.

• Like 1