Am I the only one liking what Leica is offering here?

Silver Fresco

I wont buy one, as i cannot justify it*

I do like it though, those lenses are gong to be superb, and from the pictures i have seen, the 90-280mm is a similar size than the 1DX/70-200 i regularly use.

I would have liked to see a faster flash sync speed (without switching into HSS)

If it truly is aimed at the 1DX/D4S it will have to be very very good - the AF will have to be lightning quick, and tracking fast and accurate too.

I think it may be aimed more at the 5D type market, studio/wedding/portrait etc photographers.

Looking forward to my local dealer getting one in and having a play.

I really do hope Leica is succesful with this camera, and i hope the EVF is as good as they are saying, if it is, then the writing may be on the wall for the SLR.

I would also love to see an expanded lens range, 14-24mm (f4 is fine) and a longer lens too, either a 400, 500 or 600 prime, or a 250-500ish zoom (f5.6 i would expect, any faster would be too bulky and heavy)

* i have a personal M, and work issues me 2x new Canon 1 series bodies every 3 years - if i were buying my own gear, i would seriously consider it as an option, but im not buying a new system for a while, just building out my M lens kit and a flash kit that works with the M and Canon

• Like 1

I know, and without handling one myself I can only speculate those four bottoms at the back can at least adjust EVs, ISOs, etc, since aperture and shutter speed should have been taken by the two wheels.

I guess you have never used a Phase One P45+ or P65+.  They use the same 4 button setup and none are labeled. You just learn what they do and get on with image capture.

It's a beta unit, with no lenses, full of compromises, and will be awkward to use. When there is a decent lens line, I will reconsider. Hopefully by then the pixel count will be at least 40MP too, what it should be now, IMO.

Most seem to forget no new Leica will be close to or exceed the MP count of the flagship S's 37.5 MP

>>I like the idea of a Leica body that is dedicated to Leica Lenses across a broad spectrum with a bit of heft. However, I'm feeling I'm one of a minority here.<<

I wish I has the strength to carry the weight. In other respects the camera is wonderful.

- Vikas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm a M hobby user (family - holidays - street) since many years and a happy one. On the other hand, some times I feel limited without long tele-lenses or without the convenience of a zoom and why not auto-focus when the picture cannot wait - a SLR was the obvious option but I did not wish to have a new system with new set of lenses etc... The SL could allow me to have the SLR convenience with one or two zooms purchases and at the same time be able to use all my M lenses - I will see...

Edited by Aperture 2
  • Like 1

No you are not the only one here! I think it's the first really interesting, innovative camera that Leica presents since the M9. 

The rest, including X, X2, XV, T, etc. was just merchandising the brand's reputation. The M240 was a hybrid with compromises. 

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 2

The only critical point I can think of is the introduction of the 24-90. I really don't trust that this lens would offer more than the astounding R 28-90 ASPH

The 28-90 R was designed for film and thus might not perform to its optimum at the wide angle end when used digitally on a FF format - whereas the the 24-90 is definitely a telecentric lens and thus optimised for wide angle digital imaging.  I'm planning to try both the 28-90 R and 21-35 R on a demo SL asap to establish how usable they are as wide angle lenses … probably OK in the image centre but edges are an unknown. 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

The 28-90 R was designed for film and thus might not perform to its optimum at the wide angle end when used digitally on a FF format - whereas the the 24-90 is definitely a telecentric lens and thus optimised for wide angle digital imaging.

dunk

My 28-90mm produces spectacular images throughout its zoom range on my M.  I imagine the new lens would do no less, but other than the very desirable 24mm at the wide end, I also don't see how it could be better.  

The older lens is also 400g lighter.  As it was introduced in 2004, it would seem that forward-thinking Leica would have envisioned its use on digital bodies.

My 28-90mm produces spectacular images throughout its zoom range on my M.  I imagine the new lens would do no less, but other than the very desirable 24mm at the wide end, I also don't see how it could be better.  

The older lens is also 400g lighter.  As it was introduced in 2004, it would seem that forward-thinking Leica would have envisioned its use on digital bodies.

The 28-90mm R was a Solms Peter Karbe team design. The SL lenses are likely made in Japan as are other T mount lenses. We do not know if they are also designed in Japan - but lens design technology and lens production methods have moved on considerably since the early 2000s when the 28-90mm R was produced in Solms. Unlikely that production of the 28-90mm could resurrected at the drop of a hat and even it could be, it would require the new SL mount which would be a fudge … so would probably be a non-starter. Why make a 28-90mm when there is probably more demand for a 24-90mm? And remember that the 24-90mm is usable on the T as a 36-135mm which will attract potential SL camera buyers who already have a T. 

However, future reviews will show how the 24-90 SL compares with the 28-90mm R and they'll be interesting reading. 

dunk

I understand that I am in a minority here, but the SL will extend my S-system by making up for some of the drawbacks of the S body (mainly low light performance).  Sure, it will still be a bulky, heavy system, but, at the end of the day, Leica gives me uncompromising quality (which comes through to the images that have been captured).  The S-body will be my go-to for landscape work, and the SL-body for hand-held work. A great strength of the SL-body is its adaptability of an enormous range of top quality glass. When I need a minimalist approach, the M-monochrom with a Summilux 50mm lens is a joy to use.  So, yes, I think the SL is a major step forward for Leica; I hope when I hold one in my hands that the ergonomics are not as bad as some reviewers claim.

• Like 3

I guess you have never used a Phase One P45+ or P65+.  They use the same 4 button setup and none are labeled. You just learn what they do and get on with image capture.

You're right, I don't. :)

I use SLR for pure action shoot, and speed + intuitive control is everything.  I will pull the trigger if Leica can keep me with them, but I'm just one men and they better know what their potential customers are for this.

Oh and I hate taking phone calls and wiping stuffs on my iphone (except TPE app for tracking sun/moon), but I know well I'm the minority.

Edited by Mantice

That is good news. But can you tell us if production is outsourced or are they made in Wetzlar?

Some parts though not all; I suppose part of the manufacturing happens in Leica’s plant in Portugal.

Thanks Michael … Seems Leica builds cameras and lenses in a similar way to how Airbus builds planes  ;)

Well, not quite … When I look up at the sky over Hamburg, chances are I will see a Beluga enroute to either Toulouse or Hamburg-Finkenwerder, ferrying Airbus parts. There are no Leica cargo planes just yet.

800px-Beluga_n3.jpg

• Like 3