Printing using Epson Surecolor P800 & Hahnemühle papers

What would you guys recommend Wi-Fi or USB connection or both if that's possible?

Decent quality USB cable would be my recommendation,with gold plated connectors(no oxidisation) . A bit more expensive but the printer is pushing £1000.

Brian

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Jeff Brian

I have just been told that the Epsom supplier in KL would need to order in the photo paper for me. Can you guys recommend something from this list. I want to print in both B&W and color and I will have the roll feeder as well

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The premium luster on the roll is a nice paper and feeds well with no problems . The only other Epson paper I have used is the Semi Gloss. I find both are good at Colour and Black and White.Before you order any quantity I would be tempted to buy a test pack of paper from a couple of paper manufacturers and try them.the look of a differant paper is fairly personal.Having said that if time scale is important go ahead and buy the premium luster in the sizes you require and some test packs for evaluation. I have found that like film if you stick to one brand / finish you soon learn to get the best out of it. For best results don't forget to profile your monitor and printer. That way the colours you see on screen are the same as the ones that come out of the printer. If in doubt remember the KISS principle. Keep it simple s-----. 

BrianP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Lots of discussion already (search).

As always, choices depend on your style, preferences...and workflow (roll vs single sheet, feed difficulties with some papers, etc).  Some folks also pay attention to longevity, use of optical brighteners, etc, and of course cost.  Variety and quality of inkjet papers now approaches silver papers from film days, from various manufacturers....matte, gloss, baryta, textured, etc.  As Brian said, it's good to reduce variables and learn one or two papers that suit, then expand as needed.  Keep one foot on a rock, as the saying goes.  But that might require a little experimentation to narrow the field.

For b/w, I generally use gloss/semi-gloss and have mostly migrated from Hahnemuhle to Canson, and use different papers depending on texture and base tonality (cold to warm).....including Infinity Baryta Photographique and Platine.  I've also used Innnova Warm Cotton Gloss on occasion for a warmer, more textured feel.  Of the Epson papers, I've only occasionally used Exhibition Fiber.

Much of my color work is on Ilford Gold Fibre Silk (Prestige), which is similar to Canson's IBP.

Others prefer matte papers....my experience is limited....but I've recently seen some nice work on Hahnemuhle German Etching.

Many manufacturers sell sample packs....you can get a good idea about the wide variations by just looking and feeling.

As I've said many times, printing is not plug and play.  Using a given paper doesn't determine a unique look....it's only part of a much broader workflow, influenced by myriad variables (including print settings)....not the least of which is display conditions (matting, framing, lighting, etc).  Everything changes everything.  Inks are another variable, with the potential for all b/w ink sets....but that's a whole different discussion covered elsewhere.

Not your style, I know ... but this should be a journey, not a race.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Thanks Jeff.

I'm still running around the UK right now and will be back home in Malaysia in 7 days time. Hopefully the printer will be there waiting for me and I will have a week to play with that before I head back to the rig

Later

Neil

I have found with the predecessor Epson A2 printer, the 3880, that it is essential to use Hahnemuhle's ICC profiles and select that your program (LR or Photoshop) controls the printing to get good results. For example I use HFAPhoto_Eps3880_PK_HahnemuehlePhotoSilkBaryta310.icc for the Baryta Photo Silk paper. These are all available on Hahnemuhle's website. I am sticking at the moment to Epson, Ilford Galerie and Hahnemuhle papers, as they all work very well and all offer specific ICC profiles for the 3880 Printer. 

On a separate note, I have been totally delighted with the Epson refurbished 3880 I bought earlier this year in France for use at my French house. It makes the Canon Pixma Pro-1 I have in the UK look like the unreliable, poor paper feeding and ink drinking heap of junk it is. I have been trying without success to find a refurb 3880 in the UK. I see that I can buy the P800 for less than I would pay for a new but old stock 3880. I have seen some muttering that the P800 may not be as robust and apparently bullet proof as the 3880 seems to be. At the moment I also cannot buy Piezography empty cartridges for the P800 to fill with Piezoflush, to leave in the print heads, when I am away for 6 months, like I have done with my 3880, to avoid print head blockages. However the P800 does have the advantage that you can buy a roll feed attachment but my last experience with Epson roll feed on an R1800 was dire. It chewed up more roll paper than it printed on. As many professionals use the roll feed on the 4900, 7900 and 11900 printers, with success, this is an issue I guess that Epson has sorted. 

Wilson

I have been trying without success to find a refurb 3880 in the UK. I see that I can buy the P800 for less than I would pay for a new but old stock 3880. 

Don't underestimate a refurbished 3800 if you can find one....also a great machine that can run Piezo.

On your separate notes, the 4900 may have decent roll feed, but many samples unfortunately suffer from chronic head clogs  (unlike the 4800 and 4880).  I suspect there will be a P replacement at some point.

Also, while the Hahnemuhle profiles are good, my experience is that they still don't approach well done custom profiles.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I have been using a ColorMunki for monitor/ printer and paper profiles and not noticed a great deal of difference between my custom ones and the paper manufacturers. Would the more powerful  I 1 photo show any noticeable improvement in your opinion when making custom profiles. 

Thanks for any input.

BrianP

Depends....on the user and on the technique, including number of patches, etc.  As always, the machine doesn't dictate end result by itself...true of camera and other tools.  I have a friend who makes profiles for me using his Eye One, and his are better than ones I receive from a very good outside service that makes custom profiles (using my printer) with their even more expensive Eye One version.  He recently switched to ImagePrint (which some like specifically because of their profiles), and found that he could further improve results by generating his own profiles and incorporating them into the IP workflow.  I think many others wouldn't be able to achieve that result, nor care.

That said, I think the Eye One might provide more sophistication and flexibility than ColorMunki (I have no experience) and, with the right process, might yield better results.  A lot, of course, depends on how one defines better, and whether that's worth the expense and effort.  If you're already getting great prints, without frustration, then there are probably other areas for concentration.

Jeff

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Well guys I got the first part all screwed up.

The first picture is meant to be 17 x 36 inches (its a pano) the second image looked like it was going to do a good job but then it just stopped. Any ideas what I am doing wrong??

First image 

second attempt

third image is the printer settings

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Heres my settings in PS