Thumbs Up EP-SQ grip for the Leica Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The only thing on my Q that's "beat up" is the Thumbs Up grip. That's because I dropped the darn thing once and stepped on it accidentally. It does show normal wear from use which I actually enjoy seeing. I use gaffers tape on the Q to protect the hard edges from wear in normal use. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I just received this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078HK6KZ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lightweight - like a feather really - fits well and for those on the fence because of the price, at $24, this is a good way to test the concept without betting the farm.  I can't compare the quality to the original, but it seems fine.  Still not completely sold on it, so I'm glad I didn't spend a lot.

The only thing on my Q that's "beat up" is the Thumbs Up grip. That's because I dropped the darn thing once and stepped on it accidentally. It does show normal wear from use which I actually enjoy seeing. I use gaffers tape on the Q to protect the hard edges from wear in normal use. 

So glad that I reviewed this thread.  I have the new version of the Thumbs Up and actually really love it.  And by the way, I have since dressed my Q in the same gaffer tape BDU (military speak for Battle Dress Uniform) as yours and am now ready to go forth. Lots of good tips if you follow this forum for sure!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

In my experience it’s very rare for somebody to recognize or know Leica, and the Q is not a big attention getting DLSR so I suspect your taping over the red dot is not necessary.

You are so right - unless someone actually knows Leica brand or is deep into this hobby, just looking at the camera like Q and figuring someone could be insane enough to pay even few hundred dollars, let alone over $4K? :wacko:

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I received my thumbs up a few days ago, and it's as good as advertised. I also purchased the Leica handgrip and large finger loop and those hugely help as well.

This is all very personal, but to me the handgrip is still the most essential of these 3 items (it makes critical difference on my d-lux 109 as well).

However, I'm especially surprised by how much difference the finger loop makes (given I never had one on any of my cameras). It's very comfortable and I feel like I don't need the wrist strap at all when finger loop is installed.

Edited by tgdinamo

• 2 months later...

I'd be pleased to receive any comments on whether the thumb grip affects access to the thumb button just below it; thanks.

It sort of does, and just enough that I rarely use that button. But your product is so spot-on terrific that I'd rather have it anyway. My only real complaint is that I'm sure I'll lose the screw that anchors it to the hot shoe and don't know how to order a replacement (I'll take a dozen right now....).

I'd be pleased to receive any comments on whether the thumb grip affects access to the thumb button just below it; thanks.

Echoing bags comment. My Q came with the Thumbie thing, and while I've never been a fan of them, I've come round to sensible thinking. I find it does afford a decent grip, and am happy I have it.

Yes, it slightly impedes the "zoom" button, but as has been suggested, I too rarely use the button. And in some respects it affords a slight protection from inadvertent activation.

Gary