Dismal Purchasing Experience at Leica Wetzlar

marknorton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I will be within range of Wetzlar this week and emailed on the off-chance I could get one of their guided tours. Not a hope of course but I was informed of the self-guided variety. I understand that one just turns up between 10:00 and 20:00 unannounced for that. Is that correct? It sounds as if it might be worthwhile?

Sorry to hear of Marks experience as I was hoping to buy a new 135mm lens there. 

I will be within range of Wetzlar this week and emailed on the off-chance I could get one of their guided tours. Not a hope of course but I was informed of the self-guided variety. I understand that one just turns up between 10:00 and 20:00 unannounced for that. Is that correct? It sounds as if it might be worthwhile?

Sorry to hear of Marks experience as I was hoping to buy a new 135mm lens there. 

The self guided tour sounds a bit over the top as it is not really  a "tour" any longer.

Think of it more like you being able to see the excellent gallery portion in the reception building (when I visited last some wonderful work also from Craig Semetko was on display which I really enjoyed seeing).

You can look at a very extensive collection of Leica products through all times behind glass and you can get a few glimpses from the new workshop behind glass in addition to some nicely done interactive displays, commenting on production and explaining certain aspects. It is not a tour in the classic sense that you would be touring with a guide whom you could ask questions and have things explained (I would have rather preferred this a lot over the displays).

There is a nice cafeteria where you can get a bite to eat and refreshments and outside a small coffee shop attached to the Leica building.

… and of course the shop, mentioned in this thread.

My personal impression (if meeting the right person it seems as per the described different experiences) was that all current production items are on display and can be tried if interested, so if you ever wondered about this or that lens or camera - go ahead and find out.

This is something unique to the factory shop and only the best examples of Leica shops worldwide.

In China mainland and even Hong Kong or in most shops I visited in Europe this full set of demo items was not available so it's a great place to see first hand certain items you always wondered about.

If you plan to buy a 135mm lens I would strongly suggest you go as early as you can, bring all your relevant Leica M bodies to use this specific new 135mm lens on and go ahead with the purchase the earliest before doing anything else around the factory or the town of Wetzlar.

This way you can verify that your bodies are working as they should with the new lens and you could in case of need have a quick adjustment being arranged right away.

The APO-Telyt-M 135/3.4 is a marvelous piece of glass as you probably have heard yet needs all elements of the system in perfect tune to perform at it's peak.

Good luck and don't miss to visit the town.

Whenever I visit the area btw. I really like to take a rental and drive the short distance out to the city of Marburg - beautiful city, nice car ride too, full of great opportunities to test out any new Leica purchases right away ;-)

• Like 2

Thanks for the all the detail. Very helpful and much appreciated. I know Marburg a little from some years ago when my daughter spent a year there from Kent Law School doing a German law diploma. My German friend will be driving me to Wetzlar and we can travel back to his home via Marburg. It will be good to re-visit.

• Like 1

I   visited  the  new   factory  in  Wetzlar  last     week  with  a  group. 

The  main  entrance  and exhibition  area  is  open to the   public   to  call  in  .  As mentioned  there  are  a number  of displays and  you   can see   some  of the  workshops . The   cafe is  just  outside  and   there  was  a group  of  locals on  a  day out    enjoying  the  cafe   and  exhibition. 

I  did  look  round the  shop though   did not buy. Others in my  group did   buy    and    all  received  good  service  from  the  staff. 

The  service  staff  were  also   great.  One  member had   his  Noctilux  adjusted  , and  a few other  small  repairs  were  done.  On the  off  chance  I  asked  if they  had  any  red  dots  for  my  Elmarit  60 . Ten  minutes   later  the  lens  was  returned  with  a  new  red   dot !

I think  the  bad  assistant  was  the  exception.  

Well  worth   a  visit  .

• Like 3

A very good and interesting day. The shop staff were excellent and I bought my 135mm lens.  I was allowed to take the new Q outside for a test run which was exciting and I was very impressed. I popped one of my SD cards in and will process them when I get home on Monday. 

Customer Care took my M240 and MM away for sensor cleaning and the new lens for calibration. They corrected a slight back focus on the lens, cleaned the M240 sensor and then found corrosion on the MM sensor. Come Tuesday I am to expect an email with an upgrade offer to an M246!

I thoroughly enjoyed the gallery and the exhibition. The production area viewpoints were limited but gave a flavour of the process. 

I am glad I went and I was very happy with the service I received. 

• 2 months later...

This has been a very interesting thread.

I was wondering whether anyone from the UK had been and bought a M-246 at Wetzlar. It would be fun to buy it from the headquarters and with the Stirling/Euro rate at the moment one might hope to save £500 (if I have my maths right).

I have never been to Wetzlar and this could be a really lovely trip.

If you live in the UK its cheap for you to go. I live in Canada so the trip is $$$ - I piggyback trips like this onto the back of business trips at either end.

Fly to Frankfurt, where there are also many reasonable hotels, rent a car from europcar, and drive to Wetzlar- about 40 minutes on the autobahn through beautiful pastoral countryside.

• Like 1

If you are making the trip specifically to buy best to ring before going and possibly reserve it. When I bought my lens they had to check stock to see if one was available. I was there primarily for the visit so it wouldn't have been too much of a downer if one wasn't available but if your trip is primarily to buy an M240 it could be disappointing if they are temporarily OS.

• Like 1