Bokeh

Cuthbert

Testing the Jupiter 8 50/2 on the Leica M-E

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

One way or the other this last Jupiter does not catch my breath like e.g the previous Nokton picture does.

I agree with you, even if I guess it has that vintage look which Nokton hasn't.... I will try on film, it might perform better.

Ps: the Jupiter costs 50€ while the Nokton more than 1000€ new or about 750€ used.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with you, even if I guess it has that vintage look which Nokton hasn't.... I will try on film, it might perform better.

Ps: the Jupiter costs 50€ while the Nokton more than 1000€ new or about 750€ used.

Agree, and I have tested one in a shop. Am surely contemplating that lens. But it needs to be tamed. [Get its purpose clear. Differentiate against the Summicron. When the one, where the other.]

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Agree, and I have tested one in a shop. Am surely contemplating that lens. But it needs to be tamed. [Get its purpose clear. Differentiate against the Summicron. When the one, where the other.]

The Nokton is not for sure a all time lens like the summicron can be.

And also the IQ is not at the same level.

The only advantage is that bokeh at TA that this kind of lens can deliver, without breaking the bank for a Noctilux (even if I tested and I love the Noctilux much more than the Nokton).

I personally have moments when I like this lens and moments when I want to sell it. Probably the best compromise, if you want just one lens, is to get the Summilux.

Edited by MaDeVa

I tested a Jupiter and this booked varies a lot.

Center of image is at the box with berries.

20403451810_04dfbac6de_b.jpg

This looks not promising.

20403456150_0d78ae84eb_b.jpg

Too soft to my liking, although playing with it reveals that details are there. With contrast the skin colorings also get accentuated  :huh: :

19970527853_a134843d65_b.jpg

Actually not that bad after all

Edited by Alberti
  • Like 1

Avi the Chihuahua

Leica R8

80mm Summilux-R

ILFORD FP4+ (D76 1+3 @ 23 degrees 20 min)

Nikon Super Coolscan 4000

• Like 2

Wintery last year

Leica M (Typ 240)

Summilux-M 50mm ASPH.

• Like 1

19970527853_a134843d65_b.jpg

Actually not that bad after all

This last shot shows that the lens is not bad. What I found on my M-E is that there is a slight focus shift, and reading on internet I found that this problem is common on digital bodies (less on film as the resolution is lower) and can be corrected using shims between the lens and the adaptor for the M bayonet.

Moreover I found that there is difference between the Jupiter produced for local market, and the ones for export (with made in USSR logo). Finally someone says that the quality varies lens by lens, because of a poor production control: the same says that depends by the quantity of alcohol drunk by the operator :-).

• 2 weeks later...

This last shot shows that the lens is not bad. What I found on my M-E is that there is a slight focus shift, and reading on internet I found that this problem is common on digital bodies (less on film as the resolution is lower) and can be corrected using shims between the lens and the adaptor for the M bayonet.

Moreover I found that there is difference between the Jupiter produced for local market, and the ones for export (with made in USSR logo). Finally someone says that the quality varies lens by lens, because of a poor production control: the same says that depends by the quantity of alcohol drunk by the operator :-).

Yes, I have to accommodate a bit, quite a difference from my Leica look lenses.

My understanding is that shims are used for the F1.5 Jupiter-3. By the way, my Voigtländer 25 Snapshot also has a shim, before the L39 screw rim. They probably use a variety as part of the final packaging (no lens is similar to an other)

The difference between local/export intrigues. Would local be worse?

Your Jupiter-8 copy looks good and is probably so  out of the box.

• 2 months later...

Now I have the Jupiter some time, I can say I can focus much better. 

What I like specifically is the balance between front and back rendering. See the purple flowers on the table. This lens reaches parts others don't. 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

:)

Edited by Marek
  • Like 2