Leica gent dismisses idea of new Monochrom

VictoriaC

Advertisement (gone after registration)

New MM or not, the old is and will remain an incredible tool. The two years of enjoyment

i've already received from mine are worth more than I paid for it, and I doubt I'll bother with its replacement barring something truly revolutionary like clean ISO 160,000, and even then I doubt I'd bother as 10,000 is more than enough with fast Leica lenses.

• Like 4

Hi all,

No, he wasn't the manager (pretty sure of that) but I'd never heard the comment that the CMOS sensor doesn't lend itself to black and white conversion as well as the CCD sensor does! I did reply to him that at the very least an MM update would be beneficial just to make the back screen out of gorilla glass and fix the sensor issue and ensure the weather proofing is as good as it can be.

I carry my 240 all the time (it had approx 750 photos when I bought it last year and now I'm up to over 4000). I'm still using the M7 (the M6 has become a back up to the M7 since I got the 240) as I have use of the darkroom for black and white at art school where I'm studying, and I still fantasise about the MM… but I'm waiting.

If you're wondering whether the current MM might be replaced and holding off buying you might consider acquiring a Nikon D2Hs as a stop-gap measure … it has a reputation for producing excellent 'film-like' B&W files.

dunk

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one to ponder…

I was in central London this afternoon and as I was close by I popped into the Leica Store Mayfair for a look over what my aqisistion could be (as one might)… I was the pre-owned section of the store and since there was only me and a single member of staff there, we got chatting. I asked him the 'ever fresh' question: did have any idea when there might be a new Monochrom and he said: The CMOS sensor doesn't lend itself to black and white conversion as easily as the CCD sensor did and besides, the Monochrom CCD was also developed to replicate film grain which it does beautifully and the camera is so unique that really, where could Leica go with it and what would be the point?!

In his opinion it is great as it is and he didn't think Leica would benefit from producing a new model!

So if I want one, his unsaid message was buy one now rather than hold out.

Well I wish that Leica Mayfair would at least sing from the same hymn sheet. When I was there last year the sales guy told me that though he didn't expect a new Monochrome at Photokina he did anticipate a CMOS based release this year. For those that like these sort of rumours and speculation, recent intelligence gleaned from a Leica store (not Mayfair) is that there'll be a new MM in June. Indeed, so certain were they of the veracity of their information that they had a waiting list to which my name was added.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I started a List at a Leica store when I convinced the Manager there will eventually be a new MM and I want to be at the top of his list. That was a bit over a year ago now and I hear the list is ever so long now.

..... if anyone else is wondering what the best ploy is .......from past experience on the forum your best option is to get on a list in a small Leica dealer in Italy ...... they seem to get a good allocation and have a fairly low uptake of buyers ....

I have a UK dealer who to date has never failed to get me a new Leica product on the day of release ..... and no, I am not telling who they are .......  :p

• Like 1

I hardly think there will be a significant run on a new Monochrom, whenever it arrives. The original one has saturated the market pretty thoroughly so there won’t be many new buyers, mainly upgrades, and looking at my own feelings about the camera , a Monochrom M240 would not make me dump the original one. 

• Like 1

..... if anyone else is wondering what the best ploy is .......from past experience on the forum your best option is to get on a list in a small Leica dealer in Italy ...... they seem to get a good allocation and have a fairly low uptake of buyers ....

I have a UK dealer who to date has never failed to get me a new Leica product on the day of release ..... and no, I am not telling who they are .......  :p

We already know. The UK is only six axe handles wide

Edited by jdlaing

I hardly think there will be a significant run on a new Monochrom, whenever it arrives. The original one has saturated the market pretty thoroughly so there won’t be many new buyers, mainly upgrades, and looking at my own feelings about the camera , a Monochrom M240 would not make me dump the original one.

But it would make you add one to your collection?

As my m9 cameras have just had the sensors given a clean bill of health for now ,I have a budget for either upgrading to M240 which I was not particularly keen to do or an MM. There has been so many denials about a new MM my gut feeling is to hang on for a while and continue to use my M8.2 for black and white which it is very good at.The reason I bought the M8.2 was that Stephan Danials made a statement to the effect that a full frame sensor was a long time away. A Couple of months later the M9 was launched. Market saturation has probably been reached or very close for the MM ,a new one will gain far more business over the next 2 years than keeping the old MM. If a new Product will generate enough money Leica will launch the new product.Time will tell.

brianp

Never say never, but it is highly doubtful as I see no reason to own two B&W cameras and the present one suits me fine.

If a new one comes in the next 2 weeks you will upgrade and I will order the new one for the best reason in the world. A birthday present to ourselves. :)

BrianP

Edited by Guest

As my m9 cameras have just had the sensors given a clean bill of health for now ,I have a budget for either upgrading to M240 which I was not particularly keen to do or an MM. There has been so many denials about a new MM my gut feeling is to hang on for a while and continue to use my M8.2 for black and white which it is very good at.The reason I bought the M8.2 was that Stephan Danials made a statement to the effect that a full frame sensor was a long time away. A Couple of months later the M9 was launched. Market saturation has probably been reached or very close for the MM ,a new one will gain far more business over the next 2 years than keeping the old MM. If a new Product will generate enough money Leica will launch the new product.Time will tell.

brianp

Not sure about the sales generated; the current MM sells in thousands rather than tens of thousands, it is hard to see a new type overcoming the saturation.

Not the first MM . I decided to buy it before it was revealed to the public.. ;):). I didn't want to buy the 240, but Jono convinced me in the end. Glad he did.

I called Kodak's sensor Division in Jan 2010 and asked if they would do a Monochrome M9. They said they would bring it up at the next meeting with Leica, they had wanted to do one and if any company was going to do a Monochrome camera- it should be Leica.

Others stated ... "A B&W sensor would be a step backwards and I would never buy a camera with one because it would impair the results I get from a full colour system."

I called Kodak's sensor Division in Jan 2010 and asked if they would do a Monochrome M9. They said they would bring it up at the next meeting with Leica, they had wanted to do one and if any company was going to do a Monochrome camera- it should be Leica.

Others stated ... "A B&W sensor would be a step backwards and I would never buy a camera with one because it would impair the results I get from a full colour system."

Not the first MM . I decided to buy it before it was revealed to the public.. ;):). I didn't want to buy the 240, but Jono convinced me in the end. Glad he did.

Short memory…you didn't even think it would be built and didn't see a reason for it.  That's even worse than saying you wouldn't buy it.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Didn't Phase 1 produce a monochrome back for their cameras before Leica. I seam to recall it was called the Acromatic + and their where 2 versions of it. One with IR filter and one without.

BrianP