Leica gent dismisses idea of new Monochrom

VictoriaC

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's one to ponder…

I was in central London this afternoon and as I was close by I popped into the Leica Store Mayfair for a look over what my aqisistion could be (as one might)… I was the pre-owned section of the store and since there was only me and a single member of staff there, we got chatting. I asked him the 'ever fresh' question: did have any idea when there might be a new Monochrom and he said: The CMOS sensor doesn't lend itself to black and white conversion as easily as the CCD sensor did and besides, the Monochrom CCD was also developed to replicate film grain which it does beautifully and the camera is so unique that really, where could Leica go with it and what would be the point?!

In his opinion it is great as it is and he didn't think Leica would benefit from producing a new model!

So if I want one, his unsaid message was buy one now rather than hold out.

• Like 3

Here's one to ponder…

I was in central London this afternoon and as I was close by I popped into the Leica Store Mayfair for a look over what my aqisistion could be (as one might)… I was the pre-owned section of the store and since there was only me and a single member of staff there, we got chatting. I asked him the 'ever fresh' question: did have any idea when there might be a new Monochrom and he said: The CMOS sensor doesn't lend itself to black and white conversion as easily as the CCD sensor did and besides, the Monochrom CCD was also developed to replicate film grain which it does beautifully and the camera is so unique that really, where could Leica go with it and what would be the point?!

In his opinion it is great as it is and he didn't think Leica would benefit from producing a new model!

So if I want one, his unsaid message was buy one now rather than hold out.

Of course, it is a sales man!

• Like 1

He is full of it.

So, assuming that a new Monochrom will have a CMOSIS sensor without the Bayer filter array, and presumably it will have similar software as the M9 version, will the rest of the camera be the same as the standard M(240)? or will it be simplified in some ways?

My knowledgeable store owner in Montreal assures me it's coming, and in late June. I have no reason to disbelieve him. Now whether I need one (as opposed to wanting one), is another question......

Which June? And define 'coming' ;)

Great salesman, I'd say. :D

No, a great salesman can sell the product while still being honest and knowledgeable about said product.

I wonder what he says to customers who want to use the M240 for b/w conversions as well as color. :rolleyes:

Jeff

• Like 1

I do not think Leica sales staff have any more idea of Leicas product plans than the rest of us.

The manager (who is the really knowledgeable guy at LMF) may have some inkling ...... but will have been sworn to secrecy under threat of his job.

There WILL BE an MM successor .... there has to be because of the sensor corrosion issue.

I too would guess it will be mid year. :)

The manager (who is the really knowledgeable guy at LMF) may have some inkling ...... but will have been sworn to secrecy under threat of his job.

There's no indication that the 'staff member' was the manager. And the lack of knowledge and/or honesty I referred to was not about the release or timing; rather it was about his comments regarding the CMOS b/w conversions, grain issues, as well as his lack of consideration for any possible new platform benefits whatsoever.

Jeff

I went through the same mental anguish constantly debating on waiting for a new Monochrom or getting the current one. I spoke with my dealer, Sean at Camera West, and he assured me that a replacement was far away. I made up my mind that if a nice used one came up around the $5k mark I would grab it. A 4 month old one did and I did. Love it!

Yes, I had the sensor replaced on my M9. And, yes I fully expect to have the sensor cover go out on the Monochrom. But hopefully that will be many years and tens of thousands of photos from now.

Now my biggest problem is finding a bag that accommodates both yet is small, functional and discrete.

I went through the same mental anguish constantly debating on waiting for a new Monochrom or getting the current one. I spoke with my dealer, Sean at Camera West, and he assured me that a replacement was far away. I made up my mind that if a nice used one came up around the $5k mark I would grab it. A 4 month old one did and I did. Love it!

Yes, I had the sensor replaced on my M9. And, yes I fully expect to have the sensor cover go out on the Monochrom. But hopefully that will be many years and tens of thousands of photos from now.

Now my biggest problem is finding a bag that accommodates both yet is small, functional and discrete.

Glad that you're enjoying it, Tom. I loved it too and am happy that mine found a good home with you.

Rich

Even if the replacement is not too far away, its appearance should not diminish your enjoyment of this camera.

• Like 2

There's no indication that the 'staff member' was the manager. And the lack of knowledge and/or honesty I referred to was not about the release or timing; rather it was about his comments regarding the CMOS b/w conversions, grain issues, as well as his lack of consideration for any possible new platform benefits whatsoever.

Jeff

Well then .... as Michael says, they were talking cobblers.

There may be practical manufacturing issues of leaving the bayer filter layer off the CMOSIS sensor .... but nothing that money will not solve (and it will be us paying for it).