New 35mm Summarit 2.4

fmil

Advertisement (gone after registration)

But still. I was considering this lens as a replacement for my Summilux 35 which is a bit bulky, but when i have used them side by side, the Summilux wins by a fraction. Not on all points, but still I have a hard time to let the Summilux go.

Exactly why I sold my 2.5/35 and kept the Summilux ASPH. The difference was more than a fraction, especially the corners (and I don't mean right at the edges).

is the 0.7 vs. 0.8 minimum focusing distance a deal breaker? or significant?

I find it annoying. I wouldn't say it is a deal breaker but it is one of those factors that make me wish I still had the Summicron instead of the Summarit to complement my 35 Summilux.

Hi people,

New to the forum, so hello to everyone :o

I ve bought a 35mm Summarit f/2.4 to use on a Sony A7.

Plans are to upgrade to a M240 body but for the time being, im using it on A7.

I am still on day 2 so i will test this combo a litlle more and post feedback, if you like.

cheers!

• Like 4

I have followed this thread with interest

I am currently looking for a lightweight 35mm f2 lens to compliment my rather heavier faster lenses

I have been bouncing between the summarit f2.4 and the biogon f2

I used to have the Summicron but in terms of my list of options I have ruled it out now due to things important to me, like the focus shift and its non-flat field nature

I think the Summarit is more contrasty from the get go but as it starts at f2.4, by f2.8 the Biogon has already caught up. I think the Biogon is sharper in the corners from what I have read. Would be interested to know if the Summarit is sharper or the same in the centre

any opinions from you guys would be interesting

Edited by colonel

It might still be relatively light but the Summarit F2.4 in it's new E46 incarnation is surely too big now as the little 35 to complement a bigger 35? Looking at that photo of it with the FLE lens hood on makes me think you might as well use the FLE and gain 0.7m close focussing and all the Summilux ASPH goodness. I still think the Summicron is the all-round winner in the compact 35 category and might soon put my money where my mouth is and buy one (for the 4th time).:)

• Like 1

I have both the Biogon f2 and Summarit f2.5. In practical terms I find the IQ very equivalent. I had the Biogon first, but wanted a smaller lens, as I used the tiny v2 Summicron for 40 years. Now I use the Summarit 2.5 over both. I prefer the 2.5 designs for the size (used without hoods), and just bought the 50 for that reason as well.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In order of weight (data for Leica and Voigtlander from B&H website, Zeiss from Zeiss website):

Leica Summarit f2.4 is 197g - 52mm wide and 34mm length

Zeiss Biogon f2.8 is 200g - 52mm wide and 50mm length

Leica Summarit f2.5 is 220g - 51mm wide and and 34mm length

Zeiss Biogon is 240g - 52mm wide and 56mm length

Leica Summicron is 255g - 51mm wide and 35.6 length

Leica Summilux is 320g - 56mm wide and 46mm length

Zeiss Distagon f1.4 is 381g - 63mm wide and 65mm length

Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 ii is 471g - 61mm wide and 62mm length

Length is the most key for me, with weight second. Leica clearly wins on the length but the Biogons have good weights

The most desirable for a weight/size quality mix is still the Summilux IMHO but for the smallest lens The Summarit or Summicron.

When you take account of flat field, edges and even sharpness this throws in the Biogons as well.

I have the Voigtlander so have no desire to add the Distagon f1.4.

Edited by colonel

Silly question maybe - but why is the new 2.4 Summarit almost 10 % lighter than the 'old' 2.5 Summarit if they are optically similar or identical ?

I think it uses more aluminium than brass in the lens barrel. But I'm not sure. Feels light.

• Like 1

Can show close up of front of lense, wondering about how much glass area

Another question is bokeh, seems read somewhere that 2.5 version had better bokeh

than the crom, wondering about this lens, love also to see pics aporeciate info and your mini review

For comparison on glass - here's a '69 Summicron 35 and a Summarit 35 f2.5:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

In order of weight (data for Leica and Voigtlander from B&H website, Zeiss from Zeiss website):

Leica Summarit f2.4 is 197g - 52mm wide and 34mm length

Zeiss Biogon f2.8 is 200g - 52mm wide and 50mm length

Leica Summarit f2.5 is 220g - 51mm wide and and 34mm length

Zeiss Biogon is 240g - 52mm wide and 56mm length

Leica Summicron is 255g - 51mm wide and 35.6 length

Leica Summilux is 320g - 56mm wide and 46mm length

Zeiss Distagon f1.4 is 381g - 63mm wide and 65mm length

Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 ii is 471g - 61mm wide and 62mm length

Length is the most key for me, with weight second. Leica clearly wins on the length but the Biogons have good weights

The most desirable for a weight/size quality mix is still the Summilux IMHO but for the smallest lens The Summarit or Summicron.

When you take account of flat field, edges and even sharpness this throws in the Biogons as well.

I have the Voigtlander so have no desire to add the Distagon f1.4.

Be careful with your length comparisons. Zeiss seems to give the length as the total overall length of the lens package. The length Leica gives is the length from the mount flange to the front of the lens. So you are comparing apples to oranges in the above listing.

Length is also important in my choices of lenses, especially for just a "walk around" lens. The Zeiss ZM 35/2.8 is actually the shortest in your list above. It is about 30mm length from the flange to the front, which is several mm shorter than the 50/2.5 Summarit.

For 40+ years, I've been using the Summicron 40/2 lens and it is still a great lens on the M9 for a walk around. And, I like the 40mm focal length. Recently, I've gotten the Zeiss 35/2.8 and I'm finally being pulled away from the 40/2 lens for that type of use. The Zeiss 35/2.8 is really a 36mm focal length, BTW. I also have the summicron 35/2 (current) and the Zeiss 35/2.8 is more compact and lighter (for me at least).

R

• Like 1

Be careful with your length comparisons. Zeiss seems to give the length as the total overall length of the lens package. The length Leica gives is the length from the mount flange to the front of the lens. So you are comparing apples to oranges in the above listing.

Length is also important in my choices of lenses, especially for just a "walk around" lens. The Zeiss ZM 35/2.8 is actually the shortest in your list above. It is about 30mm length from the flange to the front, which is several mm shorter than the 50/2.5 Summarit.

For 40+ years, I've been using the Summicron 40/2 lens and it is still a great lens on the M9 for a walk around. And, I like the 40mm focal length. Recently, I've gotten the Zeiss 35/2.8 and I'm finally being pulled away from the 40/2 lens for that type of use. The Zeiss 35/2.8 is really a 36mm focal length, BTW. I also have the summicron 35/2 (current) and the Zeiss 35/2.8 is more compact and lighter (for me at least).

R

Thanks for that

I did notice that Zeiss bizarrely include the lens cap in the length so I stripped that out but didn't realise they went from the end and not the flange.

I would therefore love to have the real lengths of the Zeiss to compare. They are definitely longer then the Leica but maybe not that much.

I have just measured my Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 II from the flange to the tip and its 58.5mm. I said above 62mm so 3.5 mm off.

Perhaps folk who have the Zeiss's mentioned can measure theirs and post here so I can post an updated table

mine a little more in detail:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

mine a little more in detail:

[ATTACH]488402[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]488403[/ATTACH]

Nice, if you aren't gonna use the hood, don't forget to screw on the thin metal ring found in the bottom of the leather pouch. Makes it look even better :)

• Like 1