Engraving a Leica M6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I say the Leica Agency, I meant the Customer Support, wich provide a Repair and Service Form to fill, the very form you send when you want your leica to be engraved…

@jaapv I've considered having a different typefont and it doesn't bother me

@pico No, something else, I'll tell you if it happens !

The Customer Service just called me back ; they can't engrave everywhere on the top plate, only some areas are intended for engraving. Anyway, the engraving takes 8/10 weeks to be done and 400/600 €
That sounds about correct. I did not know there were some areas intended for engraving, but it makes sense in the light of the discussion about Zinc corroding. I'm sure those areas will be the flat open space on the top lefthand side and the middle rear part. Another argument not to involve a third party, they will not know which locations are safe to engrave.

It is also reasonable that it will take some time. The procedure is that Leica will make certain how the engraving has to be executed and then CS wiill have to book a slot to insert your camera top into the production process, as the engraving will be done manually on the same ancient machines used for the regular engraving of lenses and bodies.

Edited by jaapv

I specified the "new Leica font"

What does that mean, Sir? Does it mean that you developed or helped develop the font? I am a type-face fan. Silly as it might seem, but to me type-face design is a domain unto itself, critical, aesthetic, ancient, worthy of a lifetime of study.

It means that Leica uses and has used a few fonts that cannot be found elsewhere, or so I was told on this foum by a member that knew about fonts (i.e.not me) As I recall it was Lars Bergquist.

I specified a later font that they have been using on the M6.

There are unique fonts, that I do know. My website has a bespoke design.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@jaapv I agree with you for the engraving zones, I also thought that it was machine-engraved and that the machines couldn't access to non flat zone… But your reason seems more plausible. I've sent the Leica CS my wishes so that they can tell me wich ones are possible

I've just dropped off my M7 Japan to Leica Ginza & they're not certain if personal engraving is available but they can engrave the Leica logo on it. They'll check with HQ on availability.

I've also asked for a re-leather & for the DX coding sensor change (still the old pin style).

What is the top cover of the M7 made of?

do you mean the wheel on the back of your Leica's body ? or the gold connectors ?

I'd like to change the wheel maybe (the old MP e.g.)

I am not AnakChan but I do have two early M7 bodies that use electrical contacts to touch the film cassette which has a painted code pattern (DX encoding) giving the camera the film's ISO value and other things such as film's latitude and length (number of exposures.)

Some people have difficulty with the method's accuracy (sometimes from the cassette's code, paint, coating, dirty pins or when there is no DX patch), and it is sometimes difficult to remove the cassette because it is mildly trapped by the pins. Leica replaced the method with an optical reader.

I've no issues with it because I set the speed manually at the rear dial. I do not understand the advantage you mention of the wheel. Is your issue the visual aesthetic?

Edited by pico

do you mean the wheel on the back of your Leica's body ? or the gold connectors ?

I'd like to change the wheel maybe (the old MP e.g.)

I was referring to the pins in the film canister cavity. Hopefully Leica will change to the optical reader for free.

Actually I tried setting the ISO manually too but still had problems. I think my M7 in general needs an overhaul.

I hope Leica will come back to say they'll do the personal engraving though. The M7 is a keeper for me so it's not a big deal having a personal engraving on it.

• 4 weeks later...

A little bumptety.

I hope Leica will come back to say they'll do the personal engraving though. The M7 is a keeper for me so it's not a big deal having a personal engraving on it.

Leica finally got back to me and the cost of engraving will cost me approx USD$828.It seems to be a little more expensive than prices I've seen quoted here but at least they'll do it. I'm getting it re-leathered too and that'll cost $662.

Zinc or no zinc, this is the result :)

And you are sure they cut into the original top plate and just filled the engraving with paint, or perhaps did they throw away your original top plate and engrave onto a bare top plate and then chrome it?

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Some special edition Leica cameras have custom engravings (beyond just text in Leica font and the Leica logo) - I'd therefore guess that something ought to be possible.

However, as always, better go ask Leica - you can call them and they are nice

Some special edition Leica cameras have custom engravings (beyond just text in Leica font and the Leica logo) - I'd therefore guess that something ought to be possible.

However, as always, better go ask Leica - you can call them and they are nice

Cheers Bernie. Actually I've just done that. Since the post I did pop by Leica and looks like they can engrave signatures too. They can also engrave on the back end (under film winder) for an additional $250 but I opted out of that.

Thank you for you reply.

my signatures on m-e and mm

2 x 285 euro's

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!