Leica Visor + Wireless flash transmitter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

First of all congratulations for the forum. This is my first post and I am looking forward to buy the Leica T. Due that I like to make pictures with several flashes, etc., I would like to know if I can use at the same time the Visoflex and a wireless Flash transmiter.

Thank you

Hello,

First of all congratulations for the forum. This is my first post and I am looking forward to buy the Leica T. Due that I like to make pictures with several flashes, etc., I would like to know if I can use at the same time the Visoflex and a wireless Flash transmiter.

Thank you

Ok,

I answer myself. Its not possible.

If the flash you are triggering has optical triggering, you could turn on the internal T flash to trigger it. Then just turn down the internal flash compensation so it has minimal impact on your exposure.

I tried the T in the studio with a wireless trigger. What I noticed was that when I set exposure settings manually (from memory around ISO200, F8, 1/160 of Second) it made the screen go black as it simulated the exposure for available light. I couldn't see anything to compose the image, and just guessed at what the image would look like. When the image was taken, it would trigger the flash, a perfectly lit image would fill the screen on the T for a second while the image was being previewed, then it would go black again so you could try and guess your composition again... fun fun!

However if I turned on the internal flash, it gains up the image so you can at least see what you are about to shoot.

This may have been fixed with the latest firmware, however I have not tested it.

Edited by haydenc

Ok, just did a quick test with the T.

Tested as follows:

T with M adapter

In M mode

ISO 100, F8, shutter 1/160 (max sync speed)

With these settings:

The viewfinder or screen is pitch black (inside my house).

There is no way to turn up the screen that I could find so using an external flash becomes very difficult.

Then I turned on the internal flash expecting the screen to gain up like it used to do, however it did not. Still black. I fired a shot to see if the internal flash could light the scene, and it did no problem.

This is unbelievable. There are still multiple issues with this camera. My patience is wearing very thin. I need to make sure that they are working to fix these issues!!!!

Ok, just did the same test with a T lens.

Same settings as above.

In Auto focus:

When you half press the shutter, it lights up the screen while it gains focus, then goes black again. (as least you can see for a second!)

Manual focus:

We have a problem! It is the same behaviour as with using the M lens on the T. The screen is black, and you can't focus or compose. This is the same even if you turn on the internal flash.

There should be a way with this camera to enable 'Flash' mode or 'Studio', which would turn off exposure simulation for the EVF or LCD Screen on the camera.

*Update:

I pulled out the SF26 flash and it shows exactly the same result.

Also a weird one, if you use the exposure compensation, it will not save the new level selected. If you switch the flash off, it will take the new value you put in, however it does not adjust the power output of the external flash (this is the flash designed for the Leica T).

I just re-read the 1.3 firmware update release notes and it lists:

"Brightness Simulation: the live view image in M exposure mode is now showing a brightness simulation of the resulting exposure; this function is also active in P, A, S when using exposure compensation"

You need a way of turning off this 'brightness simulation' to use this camera properly with external flashes (unless you are using enough ambient light to be able to focus and compose.)

Also it looks like the T might not work 100% with the external Leica flash SF26 as far as being able to adjust the flash power.

Edited by haydenc