Compare 21 ASPH to WATE?

xrogers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm still trying to decide what to do here and am also anxiously awaiting Sean's article on ultrawides.

My lens kit is 15CV, 24/2.8, 35/1.4, 50/2, 90/4 (Macro). I'd like a 75 and a WATE and still have the 30% discount.

Trying to decide whether the WATE will take the place of the 24 and 15 in my bag. The likelihood of me traveling with both the WATE and the 15 or the 24 is nil. I think WATE/35/75 or WATE 50/90 would be a great lineup for travel.

The CV 15 is a great little lens but I recently traveled with the 15 and the 35, leaving the 24 at home, and found myself itching for something inbetween. And no, the foot zoom thing can't always be done, folks... :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, does anyone know (for sure) what the exact deadline is for those lens orders? I'll try to have a draft version of the ultrawides review up before that date but I need as much time as possible because there's still a lot to do and I'm working on three articles at once.

Cheers,

Sean

Guest guy_mancuso

Why make the decision so hard the WATE cost with the 30 percent discount can certainly get more than the money you paid for the lens , so you will always get you money back. The WATE is a awesome lens there is no question about it. Yes it is nice to see a lens test but everyone on this forum all say the same thing buy it you love it. The Cv 15 is a nice lens at F8 but the Wate can do better wide open than the CV 15mm . The Leica 21mm maybe a touch better and i mean a touch. come on folks you think leica would put out a junk lens at this point in history , frankly i never seen a junk leica lens period in either M or R. Some are very good the rest are great. LOL .

Guy, I must beseech you to stop waging war on my bank account. :p

Seriously, though, the decision for me comes down to money. Yes, I understand the WATE with the 30% off is a great deal, but it (with the finder) is still a grand more than the 75 with the 30% off.

In the end I'll probably go with the WATE and sell the 24 then target the 75 for next year. I can't see myself taking both the 24 and the 35 anywhere, though admittedly that was the original plan. I got kind of hooked on the super wide angle thing with the CV15.

My Leica letter says the form must have a postmark no later than 30 June, 2007.

I'll try to have the ultrawides and 35s articles up by the end of May (full or draft). I suppose the helpfulness of the articles might be in deciding *which* of the Leica lenses one should buy with the 30% discount.

I'm wiped out today but will try to have the 75s article up tomorrow.

Cheers,

Sean

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'll try to have the ultrawides and 35s articles up by the end of May (full or draft). I suppose the helpfulness of the articles might be in deciding *which* of the Leica lenses one should buy with the 30% discount.

I'm wiped out today but will try to have the 75s article up tomorrow.

Cheers,

Sean

Thank you Sean - you do such a great job around here, I'm sure everyone is fantastically grateful

Guy,

I am not that sure that you get the list-price -30% if you sell a Leica lens in this price range.

And I am afraid once having received the wate not being able to decide to get rid of one.

The 21/2.8 is the 28mm fov with f2.8, which is not fast but better than f4.0

A reasonable filter-holder/hood and a lees obstrusive viewfinder for use of the WATE on the M8 would make the decision easier.

Cheers, Tom

A reasonable filter-holder/hood and a lees obstrusive viewfinder for use of the WATE on the M8 would make the decision easier.

Cheers, Tom

HI Thomas

you won't be able to get rid of it if you get it!

As for the filter-holder / hood, you could try John Milch's holder - I haven't got one yet, but it looks excellent and I surely will.

The Frankenfinder transcend's its ugly appearance - it's so good you'll start to love it after a week or two! if not you can always use the Leica 21/24/28 finder - it's pretty, and it works nearly as well as the frankenfinder.

I have a pre asph 21mm which has just been completely serviced and coded by Leica (they've done a splendid job, I thought it was a dog when I got it secondhand, but it's now a lovely sharp lens). Still, it has less distortion than the WATE, but I don't think it's as sharp.

Just put in your order, you know resistence is useless . .. . . . . of course, you could use creative buying logic:

I'll save $1000 dollars on the 30% for the WATE

I'll only save $600 on the 30% for the 21mm

That means that if I buy the WATE I'll have enough saved to buy a 28mm elmarit.

:o

Guest guy_mancuso

I agree with Jono once you get one you won't sell the WATE and do get John's adapter it uses a leica 49mm IR filter which you can get too. For speed i will get a 24mm just for those occasions were i need speed and wide angle.

Now for finders i bought a Zeiss 21mm finder for the 16mm setting and for the 21mm setting I just use the viewfinder and guess a little. it seems to work out pretty good for me. The Zeiss finder has less distortion so straight line work is fairly easy

The 21/2.8 is the 28mm fov with f2.8, which is not fast but better than f4.0

Cheers, Tom

Hi Tom,

As Guy mentioned, the filter holder/hood solution from John works beautifully.

Cheers,

Sean

Guest guy_mancuso

It's like a AMEX card don't work without it. LOL

Seriously it really is the way to go with the WATE. Highly recommend this

I *may* be able to get a draft of the ultra-wides article up by the end of the week. Of course, we already have good information on the forum from people who've worked with these lenses so what the article might add is some specific information about how the lenses compare, side by side, in specific ways.

Cheers,

Sean

My lens kit is 15CV, 24/2.8, 35/1.4, 50/2, 90/4 (Macro). I'd like a 75 and a WATE and still have the 30% discount.

It would be a simple choice for me in your situation (finances permitting), 15 & 24 go to ebay, WATE & finder with the 30% and funds from the 15/24 sale go towards a 75 cron if your shooting coalminers or 75 lux for portraits, both seem to be available in the €1200ish (lux) - €1700ish (cron) price range on ebay.

I think if I was to do the whole lens selection thing again from scratch I'd opt for two Tri Elmars 16-18-21 & 28-35-50 and pick a favorite focal length for a prime, bugger that won't work, I'd still need a 35 50 & 75 in primes:rolleyes:

Just put in your order, you know resistence is useless . .. . . . . of course, you could use creative buying logic:

I'll save $1000 dollars on the 30% for the WATE

I'll only save $600 on the 30% for the 21mm

That means that if I buy the WATE I'll have enough saved to buy a 28mm elmarit.

Creative logic indeed. "There was a 50% off sale, so I bought three!"

And this is how Leica's 30% discount goes from an example of generosity to a well-executed conspiracy... :)

Guest guy_mancuso

Couple WATE shots . I have a couple threads floating about on the WATE also

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!