Compare 21 ASPH to WATE?

xrogers

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One more shot at 16mm setting

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest guy_mancuso

When i use it sometimes i feel like I am getting poked by sharp needles and can't figure out why. LOL

A oldie here

Hi Clyde,

...There's a ton of work that has to go into each review and just preparing the example tables takes a lot of time...

Cheers,

Sean

That is my first thought every time I read one of them.

I think the 30% off order has to be postmarked by June 30 - I will send mine in via Federal Express because they want the original documents and I have no confidence in the usps.

This may not help you in your Leica-to-Leica question, but I did some comparison tests with four of the equivalent Canon (mostly L) lenses at 24mm on a 1DsMkII and the WATE at 18mm (which is a 24mm equivalent) on an M8. (I also tested the 24mm TS-E f/3.5 but I can only upload five images here at a time, and it was the worst lens of the bunch wide open, anyway.)

I leveled the camera and made it as parallel to the wall as possible, shooting from about 20 ft. away. I figured the solid color of the wall would give a good indication of the lens vignetting, while the bricks would show any barrel or pincushion distortion. All lenses were set at their maximum aperture. No color or sharpness adjustments were made. The 67mm B&W UV/IR was used on the WATE, and even though I don't see much cyan drift, I do have a 49mm Leica UV/IR on its was to John Millich for surgery.

As you can see from the examples below, the WATE exhibits the lowest vignetting and distortion of the group. I'm not showing it here, but 100% crop samples of the corner and the center show the sharpness of the WATE to best the Canons in both areas, as well.

Of course, for two to three times the money, the Leica had better be noticably better, and it is. One could make the case that this is an apples-to-oranges comparison. But it does show how good even a Leica "zoom" is against its DSLR competition.

I had the choice of going with the 21mm or the WATE, and the flexibility of the extra few mm and the relative compactness of the lens won out over the extra stop of the 21mm. I would make the same decision again.

John Hartman

Guest guy_mancuso

John i came from canon and there best wides , there not close to leica and that was with the R lenses . Absolutely no surprise here and i would expect this any day of the week. Sorry canon folks but i tested every wide they had and they just are not top notch glass until you hit the 35mm 1.4 and up. All this Canon stuff led me right into the DMR , one day i looked in my bag and had 9 leica and 1 canon lens and had 3 canon bodies, than bought the DMR on a hunch. Never looked back. I do give Canon a lot of credit though just not in there wide angles. Interesting the M system wide angles led me to switch from the DMR to the M8. What's next is what want to know. LOL

John nice to see the distortion pretty well controlled on the WATE , have really not tested that part of the lens like you did here .

it's a sharp lens.

rf

Horrid. First it was going to be the 90 macro with the 30% coupon, or maybe the 50 1.4.... and now the WATE is in the running. I've enjoyed the CV 15, but its a bit softer than the Leica lenses, and so maybe the WATE makes some sense (sense?).

Thanks for the help, guys and Guy. LOL.

Geoff