D-Lux 5 Battery Issue

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi I need help.

I have been using third party battery for Panasonic (DMW-BCJ13E) as spare to my original Leica battery for quite sometime without any problems at all. Only recently that the D-Lux 5 keeps rejecting the spare battery giving out message "THIS BATTERY CANNOT BE USED" and shut itself off while the original Leica battery works fine. At first I thought the spare ran out its life so I got myself a new spare of the same. However, the same problem remains for the new spare.

I am at loss of what happens if third party battery cannot be used then it should have been rejected since I got the first one. Is it a spare battery issue or software issue?

Advice is needed to solve this problem. Thank.

I use the Panasonic No DMWBCJ13E Battery on my Leica D Lux 5 without problems. It is the Panasonic battery for the Panasonic camera on which the D Lux 5 is based. It is half the price of the Leica battery and you may well be able to find one in Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the exact same 'This battery cannot be used' problem with my D-Lux 5 and it only started happening recently; and no recent firmware updates. Up until 4 weeks ago the third party battery worked fine. Sometimes if I persevere with the third party battery and turn the camera on and off and/or take out the battery and place it back in again the camera will work - but then will close down again after a few exposures.

I've also been using a third party battery with my X1 and XV but noticed recently that the battery is 'swelling' and is slightly barrel shaped - so rather than risk it exploding if it becomes more swollen the battery will be ditched via my local battery recycling facility at Boots Chemist.

Best wishes

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough