Leica CL: battery voltage issues

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everybody,

I got a Leica CL with a functioning meter (they say, we'll see...). I read that modern button batteries have a higher voltage, messing up metering.

What is your advice?

- Getting ad adapter (called MR9) where to put common batteries to lower the voltage from 1.5v to 1.35v

- Using a 1.5v battery while tricking the camera by setting a lower (or higher?) ASA.

Which system is going to ensure me a better camera longevity (seems pretty fragile by the comments around) and a better meter reliability?

Thank you!

PS. Some back story: I was looking for a compact manual (or semi auto) camera to have fun, after seeing the various canonet, ricoh 500gx, yashica electro 35 etc... at prices that are honestly ridiculous (for ones in a good shape), in the end for 250 euro more I just got this tiny M mount camera in full working order.... since I already own many M mount lenses it sounded as a wise choice. Hope I won't regret it!

Use an MR9 - just make sure it's a real one with the diode inside to reduce voltage. Also, use a silver 386 cell in it. Many other cells are the same diameter and appear to fit, but don't have the right thickness. Too thick and it doesn't fit the CL battery holder correctly. I've had a CL since the late 1970s and love the camera. I also have a number of other cameras from the 1960s-70s (such as Leicaflex & M5) that take the same cell (PX625 or PX13) and use the MR9+386 in them with good results. 

• Like 2