Leica M Edition 60 - Your opinion

LUF Admin

Leica M Edition 60 - What's your opinion?  

671 members have voted

1. 1. Leica M Edition 60 - What's your opinion?

• Would have bought the special edition. Too bad it's sold out.
    • As regular model for a reasonable price, please!
    • Regular model, please. But with a slimmer housing.
    • I like the approach but I'm not going to buy one.
    • A digital camera without display doesn't make sense.
    • Leica is completely mad if they offer such a camera.

I think that the price is a bit too high. Apart from the design it is a M (240) with less features and parts inside. And IMHO, apart from the Audi R8, Audi never made a really beautiful design. ;) But thats a matter of taste.

If Leica would have left that little EVF connector, just for those few occasions when an immediate look at the photo is needed... I might consider buying one.

Only 15% want a slimmer housing? Maybe people clicked the first 'Regular model' option before reading the next one. Why would people want to walk around with a brick like that?

I hope Leica develops this concept for people who actually would use the camera. I'm sure I don't need to remind the designers at Leica that it really does need.....

- strap lugs

- an M8 style battery indicator and shots-taken or shots-remaining

And why not a way to program certain options into the camera when it is tethered on the USB?

- oh, and SLIMMER HOUSING!

Why? - I would have agreed eight years ago, when the M8 came out, but having got used to the digital Ms the film cameras I own feel flimsily thin - and the Nex like a piece of cardboard.

I would suggest that it is not the relative thickness that bothers, but the change.

For my hands I find the new thickness superior ergonomics - but surely hat is a personal thing...

And what USB?

I shouldn't really be surprised because I've seen exactly the same thing in many other (Canon/Nikon/Fuji) forums, but I expected something different from Leica users! Every time a new model becomes the subject of discussion, hordes of people cry out for features that are present on 'other' cameras. "If only my Fuji was more like a Sony!" Or "If only my APSC was more like a Full Frame camera!" etc. Thank goodness Leica exists, and continues to understand the needs and desires of the rest of us.

I confess I can't afford Leica, so for *years* I waited and waited for a digital camera that recreated the complete simplicity of a Nikon FM2. Meter, set shutter and aperture, focus, compose, and shoot. That's all I wanted - that and NOTHING else, because everything else is something else to think about - fluff that constantly distracts. And recently I almost wet my pants with excitement when I heard that Nikon were about to make a Df model - I really couldn't contain myself! Finally!! It's here!! The manual, mechanical digital!! And... look at what they made. Jeez. What a messed-up, screwed-up 'thing'.

Now it really *is* here in the form of this Leica - photography stripped down to it's VERY basics, for those who want to eliminate every possible distraction and, ironically, at the price, it's even more of a pipe-dream than all other Leicas! I doubt that any other manufacturer will be brave enough to follow suit, so I expect my dream will never come true, but... thank goodness for Leica!

• Like 4

I shouldn't really be surprised because I've seen exactly the same thing in many other (Canon/Nikon/Fuji) forums, but I expected something different from Leica users!

Leica users are the most conservative of all. A dimensional change of 0.5mm here or there yields cries of foul. The design of the left shoulder. Large or small shutter speed wheel. The number of buttons. The thumb rest of the M240. All these tiny changes have caused riots in the streets.

• Like 3

What's next ... a laptop without a screen?...

I need one of these to go with my screenless T.V. and my screenless G.P.S.

None of these analogies work at all: a screenless TV is obviously an oxymoron, a computer needs a monitor to be operated.

But a camera takes pictures even without a screen.

A more realistic analogy would be a TV without a remote control - then people here can get angry about all the “luddites” who like to get out of the sofa to change channels.

• Like 6

May I remind (some) members of the following.

There have been several posts and posters sailing very close to the wind, even crossing the line.

Please restrain yourself.

What the Leica Forum is for

This is the Leica Forum. Leica is its primary theme.

Subjects include Leica products, Leica photos, the Leica Camera company. It’s for everyone with an interest in Leica.

Anyone who is interested in Leica can inform themselves here and interact with others.

This is a meeting place for people from all over the world who enjoy and take an interest in Leica. Purely factual information is important but so is passion and contact with other enthusiasts. A balance has to be struck so that everyone can feel at ease.

Everyone is welcome, as long as they show respect for other members, their opinions and the forum rules.

Mutual respect is the most important requirement, so that people from different backgrounds, religion and ideology can interact.

The rules of the forum exist to facilitate interaction by laying down how we should behave towards each other as well as the technical and legal rules. If you don’t respect the rules of the game, you can’t play.

Criticism is explicitly welcomed, as long as it remains objective and does not become an end in itself.

There is probably nowhere on the planet where so much and such harsh criticism of Leica is expressed. There is nothing wrong with that.

There are, however, limits. Unsubstantiated or defamatory criticism has no place here any more than do the same points repeated over and over again like a mantra.

The same goes when it comes to criticising photos. It takes a certain courage to put forward one’s pictures for open discussion.

If you don’t like a photo, there’s nothing wrong with offering constructive criticism. What we won’t put up with are derogatory, insulting and disparaging comments.

When you post your contribution, please bear in mind that the person you are addressing doesn’t know you or your tone of voice, your gestures or the expression on your face, and may not share your sense of humour. Misunderstandings cannot be 100% avoided but we must all try not to offend the other person. Saying “no offence meant” or that it was just a joke doesn’t help if the other person has taken it the wrong way.

What the forum is not for

This isn’t the place for those who think that Leica, Leica products and Leica customers are inadequate, deceitful or stupid.

Some members, apparently, use the forum exclusively to express the same criticisms again and again, spoiling for others the enjoyment of their hobby.

This isn’t a forum for sycophants and fanboys but neither is it a Leica-bashing community. No-one in the Leica forum should ever have to justify their purchase of a Leica product or their enjoyment of it.

This isn’t the place for proselytising

No matter whether it’s political, religious or ideological, or concerns a specific brand (though with Leica we are more tolerant), anyone who seeks to impose their “truth” on others, should please do so elsewhere. They are excluded so that our forum can operate as a mixture of different people with a variety of religious, ideological and political convictions.

No more political, ideological or religious discussion

Café Leitz was set up at the end of 2011 as a place for off-topic discussions. Lately it has become, unfortunately, a place for regulars to air subjects which have nothing to do with Leica or photography (OK, off-topic) but do have maximum potential for stirring up trouble. And that is not OK.

The conflicts and animosities in Café Leitz are spreading to other parts of the forum. That is why, with immediate effect, we are going to close and remove discussions of that kind in Café Leitz and elsewhere. Our decision will appear subjective but it is based on our experience as a moderator and on what is best for the forum.

Unpleasant facts (not really)

In conclusion, some information about my role as administrator of the forum.

This forum is a commercial undertaking.

With 15,000 visitors daily, this forum cannot be managed as a hobby. After a long period of muddling through I have made this forum my main job and I make my living from it.

It takes a lot of work and it costs money, so I don’t feel guilty about making money from it.

The good news is that I enjoy doing it and, as the Leica forum now generates a large proportion of my income, I have a fundamental interest in keeping the shop going. You can rely, therefore, on its continuing.

This forum is not a democracy.

That sounds bad but it needs saying once in a while. As administrator I bear, more or less on my own, the technical, legal and financial responsibility for the forum. I am happy to accept that but I can only do so if I am free to make decisions.

Now for the good news. I value my customers and will do my best to help you feel good about being here. To that end I will always consult you but, ultimately, I alone will make the decisions, to ensure that due regard is had to every aspect of the matter (e.g. technical, legal and financial).

Andreas Jürgensen

Admin & Owner

Slightly puzzled about the more for less bit The M 240 (-P) is so much advanced beyond the M9. If you want to go cheap, Leica offers you the ME which is a basic M9 including CCD.

There is no M9 CMOS, I fear.

Nor do I understand what this has to do with the M60.

Edited by jaapv

Thank goodness I've got the original version - the M3. This 50 year old classic together with two period lenses and I'm good to go. Sadly, for a brand that was once synonymous with producing fewer but top quality models, Leica has sunk to the same level as Canon, Nikon etc by introducing new versions every two or three months. Absolute nonsense.

• Like 1

The shortest production cycle was the Leica M4-2, about 1 1/2 years.

The cycle on all digital M cameras now is at least three years (albeit sometimes with a facelift, like the P models), about the longest in the industry. The Monochrom will probably have a product cycle of five years.

The ME is the M9 from September 2009, in its sixth year now...

Edited by jaapv

Sadly, for a brand that was once synonymous with producing fewer but top quality models, Leica has sunk to the same level as Canon, Nikon etc by introducing new versions every two or three months. Absolute nonsense.

Can't argue with that really.

Some things are worth spending a lot to obtain, on the basis that superior quality will serve you well for a lifetime. A digital camera however, dependent as it is on SD cards or USB cables or unusual batteries/chargers etc etc, ain't one of those things. Still, I'd sell my granny for a Monochrom version of this model...

I think a reverse concept makes much more sense; that is, a film camera with a digital display. So that you can instantly review the negative you have just exposed.

Similar technology has been in cine-film work for decades - video shot in parallel with the film taken through the same lens. But of course, it was a big unit!

I saw and fondled the M60 at Photokina and loved the feel and design of the camera.

I voted for a regular price M60. The camera felt well in my hands and I will not want a slimmer body, I wanted do much before the show. I was surprised that the M60 lacks the grip interface or a way to incorporate the electronic viewfinder, but the design was very logical without them.

I want a screenless Leica M.

Owned the lugless M9 titanium before and had a problem with the loops, which disengaged themselves from the Audi designed body (and the camera dropped on the sidewalk). Looks like Audi people do not like the lugs at all and make a statement.

Once again the designers do not want the owners to shoot their limited edition Leicas.