Leica M Edition 60 - Your opinion

LUF Admin

Leica M Edition 60 - What's your opinion?  

671 members have voted

1. 1. Leica M Edition 60 - What's your opinion?

• Would have bought the special edition. Too bad it's sold out.
    • As regular model for a reasonable price, please!
    • Regular model, please. But with a slimmer housing.
    • I like the approach but I'm not going to buy one.
    • A digital camera without display doesn't make sense.
    • Leica is completely mad if they offer such a camera.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I very much like the concept and would love to see a regular version of it.

Regarding the "missing" histogram I like to note that there is still the good old bracketing which is quicker than chimping anyway.

Regards,

Steve

PS: As stated before I would like to have a wireless connection to a smartphone via an app for two reasons:

a) reviewing my photos when I am done with taking picture at the end of the day or being bored e.g. at the airport, i.e. reviewing the images off the field

B) change any settings of the camera like e.g. internal clock, iso, raw, jpg etc BEFORE going out shooting.

I have been a stauch Leica supporter for almost 50 years. That said, the LeicaM60 is not for me. The camera seems to be a novelty more suitable to collectors rather than active shooters. If I could rationalize the cost of a new Leica, it would be the M240. Then I could use it with adapters/viewfinder as my digital Leica-R solution rather than the Canon/Olympus DSLR bodies I now adapt to my R-lenses. For the present, I will continue to rely on my newly overhauled M-2 , M-4 and Plustek film scanner as my digital Leica-M alternative.

I posted previously on page 4, but in addition:

As the 60th anniversary to the M line I was hoping for more than another Audi Design exercise.

I know Leica has gone upmarket, and the M digitized has been the spring-board for the survival of the brand. BUT, as a user, and as much as the M240 squeezed the M platform to it's maximum, I still don't trust the current M platform as a rugged 'remote' and useable field camera.

I would like to see Leica (as I mentioned previously) increase the frame-rate, improve the eyepiece as in BIGGER, and yes, even 'massage' the body/form with a larger speed dial, even an auxiliary battery/control/grip, etc.

That would NOT replace the M240 but be in addition to it. But there are those that can't always 'baby' the camera, there is plenty of room to massage the form to a rugged camera as there is for the traditional M form.

Heck, I'd consider a finder-free M with a shoe mount EVF instead if it meant making room for the larger speed dial/controls/frame-rate/etc., that is you know 'field rugged'. I guess I'll just keep dreaming.

Cheers.

Dear Leica, please EVOLVE the technical refinement - not the price - of your M cameras.

Make them quieter, thinner, lighter, faster - not more expensive. Invite G-RAW, Audi and other brands to play around with T design and D-LUX design, but keep them away from the M which embodies the very heart and soul of the Leica enterprise.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear Leica, please EVOLVE the technical refinement - not the price - of your M cameras.

Make them quieter, thinner, lighter, faster - not more expensive.

You might look at Leica's excellent cameras other than the M line. Any one of them would suffice to make great photos.

• Like 1

Make them quieter, thinner, lighter, faster - not more expensive. Invite G-RAW, Audi and other brands to play around with T design and D-LUX design, but keep them away from the M which embodies the very heart and soul of the Leica enterprise.

What are you talking about? Leica has been making special editions of the M cameras for decades and decades. The Leica you are thinking about doesn't exist. The M60 is not a normal camera, it is a special edition, and thus the price has no bearing on normal prices.

• Like 1

May I remind (some) members of the following.

There have been several posts and posters sailing very close to the wind, even crossing the line.

Please restrain yourself.

I did not mean to bring a negative influence into the forum. I had received an email from the forum soliciting opinions on the new camera and asking us to vote in a survey. That may explain why a number of us recently cropped up here.

In the past, I've owned 2 M6s, 3 lenses, a couple of the PanaLeicas, and 2 sets of Leica binoculars. I still have some of the equipment. I have tremendous respect for Leica optics. The fragility of the bodies and construction issues has caused me to be more cautious moving forward.

Hai!

I don´t use the display very often. In case the light is bright I can see so much. Second, I´m using reading glasses which I forget frequently to carry. If I use my 90mm lense I use the EVF. So in the majority of the situations I can or don´t like to use the display. If the camera became slimmer (that is very important for me) I could abdicate it.

To leave the display is here not the problem at all.

The big problem I see with the M60 is the fact they castrate it of all the possibilities to control and settings which the digital technology today offer.:mad:

The EVF doesn´t work and there are not another interface!

So this is really a big disadvantage and make the M60 imho only good for posing or a vitrine.

Very beaifully but also very unutil.

AUDI make normaly a very beatifully but also very util design.

With the M60 I´m really confused.:confused:

But very happy with my M in silver with a pretty red dot on the front.:D

Regards.

Enjoy your treasuries!

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I've had confirmation that the camera is an M-P under the hood, so it has the 2GB buffer, and the same Maestro processor; SD card formatting in camera the first time you use it, and you then delete images from your computer (unlike the M9). I doubt that processor speeds will be an issue with this camera as the processor is doing a lot less than it does for the M(240) & M-P.

Frame lines in standard pairs, but in LED (as with the M-P). Delivery in November, sometime ...

I doubt that processor speeds will be an issue with this camera as the processor is doing a lot less than it does for the M(240) & M-P.

Maybe not, depending upon how they pare the software, or not. Turn off review and JPEG on a 240 and the throughput should be a good predictor of its performance.

Maybe not, depending upon how they pare the software, or not. Turn off review and JPEG on a 240 and the throughput should be a good predictor of its performance.

Can you have DNG only? But yes, that should work - no JPEGs and no LCD should give an idea, though I doubt it will be the same. As there's no live view, the processor is really only giving exposure information and capturing the image. I suspect it will be far simpler than just reviews and JPEGs. There's no generating any information for the LCD for a start ...

My point it that it is so easy to remove functions from the firmware (trust me. I'm a doctor. :)) that Leica or its subcontractor can make it so in a one-man-day shift.

Having looked at the code I do not think obviating the few functions will make a lot of difference due to the kind of implementation Leica and others who use the same code base use. One word: KLUDGE!

• Like 1

I take your point.

For me, the word "kludge" pretty much sums up the M(240). If I understand the complaints about processor performance correctly (actually, most of the complaints about the M(240), including the faulty lugs), I doubt any of it will be relevant to the M Edition 60 - Live View, Focus Peaking, EVF Performance, Video.

The camera just takes pictures, and the increased buffer size pretty much deals with the only limitation expressed to date on that front, unless I'm missing something.