One year with a Leica M by a 66 year old

This is my first ever Leica (M 240)...so how did I cope with a brand new system (for me that is), with little or no automation.

My purchase was impulsive (like much I do in life), and I had never even handled a Leica until mine was delivered just over a year ago. But I did read extensively before committing to buy, and it seemed like my type of camera. Beautiful design, excellent engineering and a simple interface to control the variables of photography (focus, shutter speed, aperture and ISO).

A year on, my Leica is with me more often than any camera I have ever had over the past 40 odd years (iPhone apart), and my photography has taken a real step up in composition and quality. I have had point and shoot cameras and SLRs, including most recently, a fancy Nikon and a set of 6 lenses. My gripe has been the illogical and complicated menu structure in all these digital cameras, to the extent that I generally ended up in auto mode. No need to think—just point and shoot (and zoom if you have a zoom lens attached), with photos to match!

With my lovely Leica I think much more about the photos I take. What ISO setting, do I want a narrow depth of field or not, is my composition right, or do I need to get in closer, do I have the eyes in focus, and what about the light? The Leica forces me to really look at the scene, much like when you draw or paint it, which in turn has made me a better photographer. I bought a flash unit, but have not used it, relying on the aperture and ISO instead. I have always used flash on my other cameras, so my approach now in low light is quite different.

I have also learnt that I like the 35mm focal length, which was a surprise to me as I thought that I was a 50mm sort of guy. But I had to try the other focal lengths, and so the only real downside is that I have too many lenses in such a short period...9 in all, and I still want to try one or two more!! Is this the Leica disease?

I didn't buy my Leica because of technical specifications or pixel numbers (it has more than I need really), but because I wanted to take better photographs, and it has helped me do that admirably. I don't think that I am a SNOB, but I must admit that I do enjoy walking around with my Leica. It just feels good. So no, I don't regret buying the Leica.

As my wife and I spend about 4 months a year travelling, my current quest is to come up with one to two options for a compact travel set, which as you all know is easier said than done. I have read many posts on this topic, and recognise that in the end it is a very subjective decision.

I do visit this site regularly, and do appreciate the posts you all make. While I may not agree with everything, alternate views are helpful when I am trying to find solutions to problems or issues. This is the real value of a sight such as this one. So thank you all, and I hope you enjoyed reading this post from an older newbie.

Martin Wright

Great post Martin and as a sixty two year old who has just bought an M240 so I can go 'back' to using a rangefinder I understand exactly where you're coming from. :)

• Like 2

Martin, an interesting read. My first thought was that with such diverse background experience, you have too many lenses which is causing your confusion. Take a step backwards; select and shoot with one at a time. Lens speed is not a factor with the M240 and higher ISOs. So, on the basis of one lens a day photography, select two or three which give you adequate coverage for your travel needs. (Home photography is much easier because your arsenal is at hand)

I am quite a bit older than you and now value travelling with a small kit. And do you know, once you work with what you have you no longer lust for something longer, wider, shorter. :p

Use Lightroom analysis to see which focal lengths emerge as genuine favourites.

Enjoy you Leica photography. And by the way, I do not have an M240 so my thoughts derive from fifty years of Leica experience, mostly with M3, M6 M8 and M9 rangefinders, though latterly with the addition of X cameras.

Martin,

Welcome to our 'secret' world.:) I'm glad you appear to have found your metier and are enjoying your photography. Yes, it is a Leica lens 'disease' and don't be surprised if you look up in a few months time and discover that you have several 35 mm lenses. You'll know why you acquired each one so it'll make sense but be slightly baffling at the same time.:D

Pete.

Martin,

I'm glad you posted this. I'm a few years younger but feel the exact same way. I came from a Canon AE1/A1 long long ago, to Nikon DSLRs and discovered Leica about 8 months ago. I fell in love again with the "manualness" of the system, and having to take my time for each image. Being in the Detroit, area, I feel like I'm the only Leica user around. My photo friends whom I shoot with every week don't understand so I keep the excitement I feel to myself whenever I pull out the camera.

... I had never even handled a Leica until mine was delivered just over a year ago. But I did read extensively before committing to buy, and it seemed like my type of camera.

The first time it occurred to me that a Leica M rangefinder camera might be a desirable thing to own and to use was in the late '70s. At that time, the Leica M4-2 was current. But alas, I couldn't afford it back then.

Decades later, when I could afford it, I had switched to digital, so no Leica camera for me again. Then came along the M8. I was very tempted ... but no. Then there was the M9, and finally I surrendered to the siren call.

It was like coming home.

But I had to try the other focal lengths, and so the only real downside is that I have too many lenses in such a short period ... 9 in all, and I still want to try one or two more!! Is this the Leica disease? [...] my current quest is to come up with one to two options for a compact travel set, which as you all know is easier said than done.

If I was forced to get along with one Leica M body and two M lenses then it would be 50 mm and 35 mm (the former, Summilux-M Asph or Apo-Summicron-M Asph; the latter, Summilux-M Asph or Summarit-M). Many feel that 50 mm and 35 mm are too close to each other ... but no, they aren't. At least, not to me. Others get admirable results with 35+90, 50+90, 35+75, 28+50, or even 21+50. It's all up to you ...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Martin,

Reading your post, it seems your experience is very similar to my own. My M240 + 35 Cron arrived exactly a year ago today, and I've been reflecting on my own Leica 'journey' whilst reading your comments. Having just turned 46, I wanted to take up photography as a hobby but had virtually no previous camera experience, so it's been a steep learning curve over the past year, to say the least! I really do love my Leica for it's 'manualness' (thanks for the word Ipeeples..), and I think that not only has it made me open my eyes and look at the World a bit more deeply, but it has forced me to really think about composition and what I'm trying to achieve when I take a photo.

So, thanks for sharing your post - it's nice to know there are other 'older newbies' out there...

I've used Leica's for almost 45 years, mainly for travel, but also always owned an SLR system of one brand or another. True the M240's UI is closer to the film Leica's I've been using for decades while SLRs have morphed into something very different, but 10 minutes out of the box I figured how to use my Canon 5D like a manual SLR of the 60s and have used it that way ever since.

Thank you all for your replies. It is nice to know that I am not "alone" in my journey.

I am finding out all sorts of odd things. For example, I love my 35mm Summicron asph, but was not that wild about the 50mm Summicron asph. I "upgraded" the latter to a Summilux, and really like it a lot, but I have no desire to get a 35mm Summilux.

As we walked the Camino last year, I bought the tiny CV21mm F4 to photograph the insides of cathedrals, etc, even though I read that it distorted and fringed on the Leica M 240. I fixed the problems with post processing and with CornerFix, but that is not an ideal solution. I decided to go for a Leica solution and got the 24mm Summilux (a bit lighter than the 21mm), which is a nice fast lens and I used it quite a bit in Moscow recently. But I did miss the little CV. How can you like a lens with less than ideal optics!? Is the replacement for both a Super Elmar 21mm?

I will enter the realm of Leica R in a couple of weeks as we will be traveling extensively in Alaska and a bit of North Western Canada. We should see a lot of wildlife and here maybe is the weakness of rangefinders - long telephotos. My solution is a R 80 - 200mm f4 vario-Elmar, with a 2x magnifier if needed (plus small tripod and bean bag). I will let you know how I go.

Martin Wright

I have 2 models of the CV 21, screw and bayonet, and neither of them fringes or distorts on my M240. I also own a 21 Elmarit but for travel the CV is the one I use.

I too got into R with the M240 (I used to have an extensive R system but sold it ages ago). Couldn't pass up a late model 70-210/4 for ~$200. Despite its Minolta heritage it was considered a very good lens and I always kicked myself for selling a previous copy in favor of the Kyocera-made 80-200 as I found precious little advantage in return for considerable increase in weight. The issue I have with the zoom on the M240 is trying to steady it. Even on a tripod it's prone to wiggle. (NB I have a Novoflex adapter which I bought used for $150, not the Leica one with a tripod hole...waiting to find a used one of those at a palatable price). The M240 offers some interesting options.

Martin,

I have been a photography buff for 40 years. Most cameras had an auto mode including the film cameras. In 2009 I bought my first leica and I too like carrying a Leica, just because! Leica M cameras have forced me to think and learn. It's been a great ride. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks "Bocaburger". So there is hope for my CV21. Did you code your bayonet fitting version for a particular Leica lens? I hand coded mine as an Elmarit M 21mm.

Re the R lenses - thanks for the feedback. I have a Leica R to M adapter, and will attach the tripod fitting to it. Hopefully that will help a bit with stability.

Martin

I really enjoyed your post. I'm a few years younger than you but have been using Leicas since I was a teenager and my father started allowing me to borrow his camera and enlarger. I used SLRs and DSLRs for a while too but returned to an M6 and presently an M and a Leica T. I suspect I will keep using both. All things considered I like the M more but I find the T easier to carry around. The only other camera I use is a Panasonic GM1 when I want something that will fit in my trouser pocket.

Like you, I find I get my best results with an M - mainly because I have to think about what I'm doing. My wife has the Pana-Leica with a super-zoom. When were out together she takes twice as many shots as I do but I have many more keepers than she does. And in all honesty I have to say she is a better photographer than I am but can not. Be persuaded to switch her camera and learn how to use a more manual M without a zoom.

To each his/her own I suppose.

- Vikas

Edited by vikasmg
Corrected name.

I bought my wife the Pana-Leica, with as you say, the "super zoom." That is a truly amazing lens, and I do not know why it attracts the scorn it seems to. She produces remarkable work with it, although I cannot convince her to post here.

My M, when I nail something, it is truly nailed, but there are lots of occasions when I think she actually has a beter "eye" than I do. :rolleyes:

Martin, thank you and welcome. I'm just a few years older. We have all taken a variety of paths to end up with M240. I started with a rangefinder in 1959, and had numerous SLRs until I returned to rangefinder in late 90s with a Contax G2. A fine camera that produced nice results but the autofocus drove me crazy and I finally could afford Leica so went with M7 and later M6. Somewhere along the way I went semi-digital, scanning film and starting to learn post processing (nobody called it that yet). Now I am fully digital and afflicted with GAS, with too many lenses. For travel I will often use the two Tri-Elmars unless there is going to be a need for faster lenses (e.g. indoors).

However, one thing I learned the hard way about Leica lenses is that if you sell one you will regret it, and there is at least a 50% chance you will end up buying another and losing money on the exchange. So my advice is to keep yours. Sometimes going out with a focal length you haven't used in a while will change your perspective and freshen how you see.

I bought my wife the Pana-Leica, with as you say, the "super zoom." That is a truly amazing lens, and I do not know why it attracts the scorn it seems to.

Neither do I. My wife saw someone using the Leica version at an LHSA event and got herself the Panny version. I admit I was very skeptical that a 25-600mm constant f/2.8 zoom on a sub-$400 camera could be any good, but it is, quite. As a travel camera the versatility is great, and at ISO400 and below I've made some very good 16x20's from her jpegs without any fuss.