What to use as a back-up to the M240?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It seems this discussion has gone way past what Carlos asked since he said he could not even afford an X2 or used M8 for this trip. Well, to me that means not getting into a whole new system. Perhaps something under $1k would work for Carlos although he has let us debate all kinds of gear, but I would like to hear his $ top end for this endeavor.

Ball is in your court Carlos.

Well, in that case perhaps Tom has hit the nail on the head, and the excellent little Sony RX100 is the answer - not long ago it was really expensive, but these days it can be got pretty cheaply. It's fun to use, and takes great pictures. Excellent!

• Like 1

My Nex-6, brand new w/warranty, cost me $450 shipped. The adapter was another $180, only because I opted for a used/LN Novoflex (they're about $100 more new) vs going with a cheaper alternative. That's about as much as I would want to budget on something that will only be used in case of emergency.

My Nex-6, brand new w/warranty, cost me $450 shipped. The adapter was another $180, only because I opted for a used/LN Novoflex (they're about $100 more new) vs going with a cheaper alternative. That's about as much as I would want to budget on something that will only be used in case of emergency.

Now that's a very interesting idea for a back-up to an M240! I used an NEX6 last winter with the stock kit zoom lens. It was a pretty good camera (but quite a bit bigger than an RX100).

At the moment I have two cameras to use as back up to my M240 which is the Leica X Vario and Ricoh GXR with A12 M mount. Both have pros and cons particularly for certain applications. For fast paced photography where time is limited such as being led quickly by a guide around crowded tourist attractions, the Leica X Vario was invaluable with its zoom lens and autofocus. Also, for time limited situations for grabbing shots of people. The Ricoh comes into its own for light weight extended telephoto out to 135 mm using a 90 mm lens such as the Tele-Elmarit (thin). I could have been tempted by the Sony A7, if the review of the 24-70 mm f4 Zeiss AF lens in Photozone had been much better and there were no issues with using my Leica lenses with it.

I have a Ricoh GRD4 as a sidekick, not a backup. I fits on my belt when I can't carry any other camera.

On the basis of your other camera being one for a different niche to the M, how about a GoPro? I have no plans to use my M in the sea, but I'd still like to take photos there.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Carlos,

I think, when it comes to backup gear, its a balance of not over doing and over spending. The risk of your new M breaking down is quite small if you havent had any issues this far. If you should be so unfortunate to have it break down, your film M already is an excellent camera as a backup with which you can create top image quality and you can stock up on film in most cities and towns along the way. If you dont want to spend valuable film on your snapshots you could buy a point and shoot on your journey - IF the need arises. That way, you may not get the best price on it, BUT you dont spend on something that you might never ever need. These days, even an Iphone will get you a long way for fast and good snapshots. I have an old d-lux 3 as my extra camera, but frankly, I rarely bring it because, I think my iphone is better all round. Also, I just bought a GoPro, that im testing this summer, but that covers completely different possibilities than my exsisting cameras.

• Like 1

Now that's a very interesting idea for a back-up to an M240! I used an NEX6 last winter with the stock kit zoom lens. It was a pretty good camera (but quite a bit bigger than an RX100).

But quite a bit smaller than an RX-7, which btw makes an excellent backup for a 911 :)

• Like 1

Here is an idea I posted in another thread about Medium Format quality. The Sigma DP Merril's have recently plummeted in price, and you could get the 28mm (equiv) DP1, 40mm DP2, 75mm DP3 and have all three for around £1200. Image quality up there with the M240 (or better), no crop factors to worry about, not limited to manual focus, no lenses that need changing, just pull another camera from the bag.

Steve

• Like 1

Slide Film is always my first choice, so it's usually the M7 with the M240 going as a back up.

However I have booked to visit Japan on Nov the 1st so I might consider the R7 instead of the M7.

Time will tell.

Ken.

If budget is the primary concern then how about a used Ricoh GXR with the M mount module? Small, lightweight, quiet, great ergonomics and customisation, no AA filter, no need for additional adapters for M lenses and can be picked up for next to nothing these days. Not a RF but much better value than a used M8 or M9 with excellent image quality.

If budget is the primary concern then how about a used Ricoh GXR with the M mount module? Small, lightweight, quiet, great ergonomics and customisation, no AA filter, no need for additional adapters for M lenses and can be picked up for next to nothing these days. Not a RF but much better value than a used M8 or M9 with excellent image quality.

That does look like an interesting option....

That is what I use mainly because I already own one. It works really well with M lenses and due to the crop factor gives useful extension in the tele range. Although the APS-c sensor is "only" 12 Mpx Sean Reid in a recent (paid for ) review compared it with the new Leica T and preferred the images produced by the Ricoh GXR when using M lenses.

• 1 month later...

I don´t have a backup but rather a complement to my Leica M240. The RX1 complements my 50 Summilux Asph and 21 Elmarit Pre Asph perfect just in between. adding a close focus ability and the leaf-shutter that the M240 just cant deliver. On top or this the 35 on the RX1 would work as a backup if the M240 gave up during a trip due to the forgiving focal length. I did own a A7r earlier however did not like the shutter on that one.

One thing that I cant get of my mind is the A7s... it is very apealing to get that ISO-performance but do I realy need it? Probably not, on the other hand do I realy need the M240 and RX1 no. I could probably do with just a RX100 or equivalent. On the other hand both of the cameras I own now makes me want to take more photos.

As of today I would say the Sony A7S is the best non-Leica backup to a M240. Why?

It performs great with my Lux 35 FLE and Lux 50 ASPH. No visible smearing in the corners, except the usual extreme-corner smearing which is also visible while used on the M240. It even performs great with my Voigtländer 15mm Super-Wide-Heliar. Sure, there is vignetting, but no color shifts in the corners!

And best of all, get a Voigtländer VM-E Close Focus helicoid adapter, and suddenly all your Leica glass can be focused down to 30cm, which adds another dimension to how you can use your Leica glass.