Faith restored

andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My guess is M, L & XL stands for the file size of the scan.

Carmencita Film Lab | FAQ

"What about the size of the scans?

We have scan sizes for every porpouse! [sic]

Our M size it’s about 2400 x 3600 pixels and it’s meant to be printed on 20x30cm (A4)

Our L size it’s about 3000 x 4200 pixels and it’s meant to be printed on 24x35cm (A4+)

Our XL size it’s about 3500 x 4700 pixels and it’s meant to be printed on 30x40cm (A3)

(*) Sizes will vary a bit depending on the film format, a 6×7 scan will be a bit larger than 6×6 for example

"

IMO, Astia was the best slide film I have ever used.

Beautiful, natural colours. Dead easy to scan. No grain. Just brilliant.

And no more.

I have a couple of dozen rolls in the freezer, some of which must be 10 years old. I am reluctant to use them. I don't know what condition they will be in - some of them were given to me a few years ago by a forum member - I am pretty sure that they will all be OK, but they are out of their cardboard boxes, so he only knows how old the rolls are.

Sniff...

Astia was great, so was Portra 160. Both gone .

Ejtar 25 long gone and that film was king of the hill.

But they make what sells.

Astia was great, so was Portra 160. Both gone .

??? Must be a regional thing. We are getting and selling fresh, new Portra 160 with no problem here in Denver. Unless you meant (but didn't say) the old dual-saturation versions (160NC and 160VC).

On Andy's original post, and musings on how long E6 will be around: We had to stop offering E6 processing at the store last November, when our volume dropped to below 1 roll per week. No way to maintain the chemicals fresh economically at that low level of usage - we'd have had to charge $100 per roll. We've directed customers to two other labs still doing E6, thereby improving THEIR volumes and viability.

Personally, I've been getting the best color film scans of my life in the past 3 months, using Andy's bête noire, Ektar 100. Far more DR than I got scanning any slide film, slide-quality resolution and grain (no more colored-confetti skies - just blue pixels), and I even process the film myself on weekends (I use the store's lab when it is open). Using a 6x6 helps, of course. As does Vuescan's ".DNG" export option. (Sadly, can't post an example here since they are Hassy, not Leica, images.)

• Like 2

Guys I was in Snaps over in Bournemouth on Friday dropping some film in, including 4 rolls of Velvia. I asked exactly this question about E6, Jon told me he is doing loads of it, one run of E6 and 2x runs of B&W every day. One has to ask though why has the availability of it dropped so much and why is it so blooming expensive. You guys stateside don't know how lucky you are, over here Fuji slide film is close on £10 a roll yet the apparently repackaged Fuji into Agfa Precisa stuff can be bought for as little as £5 a roll. I also agree about colour C41, I just don't like the bitty fuzzy look of it when scanned, its nothing like as pleasing as B&W grain. Ektar is miles nicer in this regard than Portra 400 but the wonky colour sometimes can be pretty frustrating, its a midday only film I reckon. Can't wait to get my slides back.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Those prices make me smile. In New Zealand now a roll of Provia or Velvia will set you back $US28-32 (£GBP16-20) and the same again for E6 processing. Scanning, should you require it, on top of that.