Finally given in and bought a finger loop

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Having felt that the pricing of the finger loops was ambitious even from Leica, I had resisted buying one of these. I felt that I could manage most of the time with the MF Grip and a Thumbie. However with two of the lenses I use a lot being the 0.95 Noctilux and the even heavier and longer Zeiss 28-85 f3.3 Vario Sonnar and my hands continuing to deteriorate, I decided I had to swallow my reservations and get one.

I therefore took advantage of a three hour wait until the radioactive Technetium marker reached the right bits, when I was at a London Hospital today for a SPECT scan to my spine, to visit Leica Mayfair. This was my first visit and I targeted them, as I knew they had all three sizes in stock. I enjoyed a free Leica logo’d hot chocolate at the Leica café on the other side of the road, while awaiting their opening. Having all three sizes was very useful, as I would have assumed that a medium size loop would have been correct. However the small size is a more secure fit. It certainly provides a very secure hold on the camera, enabling the left hand to concentrate purely on rotating the focus collar rather than focusing and supporting via the lens.

Wilson

Aha! I recently got the grip for the X Vario, which looks like it takes the same rubber bands. It's almost cruel the way Leica is going to sell me a rubber band for $160. :eek: It looks like it would be a slick addition.

Me too. Got one and then went out in hot weather and due to hand swelling then had to get the large too. So now I have cold and hot weather ones. Sounds stupid I know, but rubber bands on steroids work well for me.

A lot depends on the size of your fingers. Like Wilson I tried the medium size but found it impossible to insert two fingers and grip my XV. Eventually a large size arrived (this was during the period when very few reached UK) which, at first would be ideal. It wasn't. It was quite painful to hold the camera. The moral is clear. It is vital to try before you buy. Only the slenderest of Western fingers will be comfortable in my opinion.

I purchased the "dumb" grip with my M240 ( Leica Handgrip M 14496 B&H Photo Video ) and have been content with the grip without the finger loops.

JMHO, but both the grip and the rubber finger loops should each be priced $100 USD lower than they are. Don't resent and loathe whoever set the prices for these accessories, though. Pity them - they will be reincarnated as a toilet plunger in a New York City bus stop. :D

I bought the finger loop from Leicagoodies several years ago and carried it on my M8 since. Now it resides on my new M240. It is called "Sling" and it's the best $25.00 I've ever spent in my life.

I bought the finger loop from Leicagoodies several years ago and carried it on my M8 since. Now it resides on my new M240. It is called "Sling" and it's the best $25.00 I've ever spent in my life.

I use a modified sling on my M8 when I don’t have the grip on (it usually resides on my M9). I thought the idea was good but the execution could be improved. I found the woven nylon band rather abrasive at the edges on my skin, as my arthritis medication makes it thin and fragile. I therefore remade the sling using a wider and softer band with a velvet lining on the interior. This makes it more comfortable for long use. If you have the MF grip on the M240, I think the sling fixed on the body lugs, would be too far back to be usable.

Wilson

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hi guys,

I've bee using the fingerloop + grip for few months now.  I carry around my M240P using only the fingerloop and no shoulder straps.  I've also added threadlocker to the screw just in case.  So far I am happy with it but I wonder when the rubber is going to break...  Has anyone broken their fingerloop or am I thinking too much?

I have seen posts from folks where the loop has somehow become loosened to the point it fell off. I've never owned one so cannot comment as to how that could happen, but I noted it at the time and don't keep a grip attached to my M's anyway, so nowhere to mount one of those doo-dads.

The finger loop screw has a long thread so it takes many days to come off. I’m in the habit of tightening it each time I pick up the camera. One hopes that Leica learns from this and engineers the next version of fingerloop screw something like the way some screw on lens hoods lock in place. Same problem with screw in diopter correction. The screw thread has existed for hundreds of years; one would think mechanical designers would have an axiom drummed into them at school - left to themselves, screws will wriggle loose.