M 240 rangefinder vertical adjustment

A Sfeir

Having no feedback on my earlier post. I decided to go ahead and do it.

My M fell accidentally on a carpeted floor and as a result, I noticed a shift in the vertical alignment of the view finder. No other damage nor scratch. That took place over a month ago, and I decided to live with it until I can send it to Solms at a time where it would not be needed for few weeks.

I read most threads on alignment, both horizontal and vertical, and presumed the vertical adjustment would be like the M8 as described by marknorton and others. So I decided to do it myself as I had already adjusted the horizontal shift several times on M cameras.

I got the special tool, and managed to remove the Leica logo unscratched by heating it and rotating it with a couple of wooden sticks. Then surprise, the vertical adjustment is nowhere similar to that of the M5..M8..M9 needing the special tool.

Seeing this, I posted my earlier question, hoping somebody has been through this so we can compare notes.

Instead of having a window showing the mechanism I referred to earlier, I only found a tiny hole showing a hex screw size 2. Examining the inside with a light and loupe, I deduced that the screw is attached to a cam (invisible), turning the screw moves a metal part that causes the patch to move up or down.

Very easy to adjust after one puts a tiny drop of acetone to loosen the screw.

Referring to previous posts that mention the improvement in the precision of the focusing mechanism, I can confirm, that, at least as far as the vertical alignment is concerned, the new design seems to be an improvement.

• Like 10

• 1 year later...

My M fell accidentally on a carpeted floor and as a result, I noticed a shift in the vertical alignment of the view finder. No other damage nor scratch.

Today is Friday, the 13th…

My four-week-old M240 took a tumble, in a heavily padded bag, about 8 ft. onto a cement floor. After my heart started beating again, I checked it out and it was without a scratch and it seemed to function OK (I turned it on and snapped a couple of live-view pictures to verify the shutter and electronics were OK). So I sighed and went to work and realized I had never checked the viewfinder.

Sure enough, after agonizing about it all day, I came home and checked the rangefinder only to find it horribly out of vertical alignment. The horizontal appears to be spot-on, verified with focus peaking, but the vertical is off.

Is there any way for a detail-oriented, do-it-yourselfer to make this adjustment? I have disassembled and repaired iPhones and mechanical watches, so I am compelled to ask. I just can't part with the camera for weeks upon weeks.

Edited by fussgangerfoto

As this thread specifies, only the screw changed. You can just as well use instructions from a 1954 M3.;)

Yep. I warmed the red dot logo and turned it a few times clockwise then anti-clockwise until it came loose, revealing the 2mm hex adjustment screw beneath it. Turning the screw clockwise raised the ghost image and anti-clockwise lowered it. A few trial and error adjustments and it was perfect again.

The glue pad on the back of the red dot was still intact so I didn't have to reglue it.I think I dodged a bullet this time.

Interestingly my M7 was in the same case and survived the jolt just fine. Thanks for everyone's help.:)

• Like 3

Yep. I warmed the red dot logo and turned it a few times clockwise then anti-clockwise until it came loose, revealing the 2mm hex adjustment screw beneath it. Turning the screw clockwise raised the ghost image and anti-clockwise lowered it. A few trial and error adjustments and it was perfect again.

Thank you for posting your good experience. It lends confidence to others who wish to do the same.

At the time i had this problem with my M8, i did a try on aligning it by myself, but the results didn't match my expectations. I had then to send the camera to Solms and when back, two weeks later, anything was spot on. Unless you're very skilled in this kind of tricks, I suggest you to send the camera for adjustment.

At the time i had this problem with my M8, i did a try on aligning it by myself, but the results didn't match my expectations. I had then to send the camera to Solms and when back, two weeks later, anything was spot on. Unless you're very skilled in this kind of tricks, I suggest you to send the camera for adjustment.

I believe the new mechanism where the cam is attached to the hex screw is easier to adjust than in previous Ms

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Hi there am new with my m240 the focus is good but the vertical alignment is a little bit off, i will puchase the key to make it on ebay .....i just wanted to make shure after you remove the red dot and aligned it how do you properly paste it back on

Any sugestions i dont want to by a new dot if i can safely get it off and on properly

Thank you guys

Hi there am new with my m240 the focus is good but the vertical alignment is a little bit off, i will puchase the key to make it on ebay .....i just wanted to make shure after you remove the red dot and aligned it how do you properly paste it back on

Any sugestions i dont want to by a new dot if i can safely get it off and on properly

Thank you guys

It's a 2mm Allen key. A dollar or two at any hardware store. The dot is held on with sticky gum. I just stored mine carefully and stuck it back on when finished. It's still there six months later. If it lost it's stick some thin double sided tape would do the same job.

Gordon

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Thank you guys

The key on eBay is for older models.