A digital M6

positivibes

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All of you asking for a digital M without a screen, can you please explain to me how are you gonna use the myriad possibilities a digital camera offers? Trivial stuff like, formating the memory card, switching the curtains for the flash, choosing the ISO etc... How are you gonna do that? You dont have a screen now, so what are you gonna do?

If you actually read the thread instead of just dive in at the end you'll realise that these questions ave already been addressed.

Put the ISO dial on the back as per the M6/M7/MP, and use the proposed small histogram LCD to present short textual confirm options such as when formatting the SD card, curtain sync etc. By way of example, the display on my tiny Sony NWZ-B143 MP3 player is about 1 1/2 cm x 3/4 cm and allows all the track display and options to be set for the player including bitrate and record options using up, down and select buttons. There is a picture here:

Sony : Support for NWZ-B143 | NWZ B143 | NWZB143 technical support

These are so small that my wife calls her scarlet red one the "lipstick" music player.

Nick

So, what you are proposing basically is:

1. Introduce yet another rotary button on the outside, that will obviously increase costs (it has to be weather sealed) as well as lose a bit of form purity (more buttons). At the same time,

2. Drop the big gorgeous colour screen for a small LCD one that can only be read if you wear glasses... and lose a lot in practicality in mean time. Why?

And if we go that route what will stop us from even having an LCD screen at all? We could use a speaker and a rocker switch and voice that would "speak" the menus as if we were blind, drop the heavy battery, the electronic shutters, move back to mechanical ones, the motor winder. Power would come from a mechanical crank that would charge a capacitor, just enough for a couple of writes in the included memory of just 36 shots, the same crank that would require to arm the mechanical shutter... Now the memory is very small, and can be transmitted using the same speaker to a computer (much like the old analog modems did)... lovely :rolleyes:

And then I would ask you all, why go and make a digital camera like this, when you already have the MP or M6 or M7? Just use that instead and buy a handsome scanner and scan your films

Edited by diogenis

If you actually read the thread instead of just dive in at the end you'll realise that these questions ave already been addressed.

No, I don't have to read 11 pages of nonsense Wattsy thank you very much.

And I'm happy with it as it's never gonna happen from Leica either

And then I would ask you all, why go and make a digital camera like this, when you already have the MP or M6 or M7? Just use that instead and buy a handsome scanner and scan your films

An M6+scanner is not the same thing at all, though nice in its own way, as I indicated in my experiences above.

I never said anything about the rotary button rather just an ISO dial (and this could be dispensed with). My suggestion is that one could set the options via the histogram display and a couple of buttons, it could be quite readable if it is done right. Personally, I think that the large vulnerable glass plate displays will seem like an anachronism when most consumer devices in the future are wirelessly linked in the Internet of Things. I would like to see the digital M camera become become as tough as the mechanical Ms were -- this I would pay a premium for, not live view, high definition displays or video embellishments.

Nick

Edited by Nick_S
  • Like 1

No, I don't have to read 11 pages of nonsense Wattsy thank you very much.

And I'm happy with it as it's never gonna happen from Leica either

It's not for you, but I would point out that after "11 pages of nonsense" it is clearly for someone...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am proposing such a bare digital M since I first used the M8.2 - my first digital Leica.

I too used a M6 before and learned to love it.

I did not buy a M240 mainly because of it's functional bloat and it's abandonment of established batteries, chargers, menu functions and different controls.

My mainly used M is now a M Mono, while my M9 is in service at the moment and will likely be the second body around.

My dream digital M:

- M Mono sensor

- M6 (classic) body dimensions

- external controls: shutter speed dial B - 1/4000 + A lock to lock (NOT 360º rotating), mechanical ISO dial with exposure comp (similar to M7), manual wind, frame preview lever

- battery meter + frames left on card in display on top deck (M8 style was great)

- introduce multi exposure function with this M as a first (rewind lever as on film bodies could be used while advancing to the next frame to merge the last shot frame with the next)

- accessories: digital Leicavit, providing motor wind, single + continuous, additional flash sync connectors (2x)

- different view finder magnifications available similar to film bodies

- different finish options via a la carte program (my preference black lacquer on brass + coarse Vulcanite style leatherette)

I would buy one the day it would be announced, if it meets these specs sufficiently (the same as I ordered my Mono the day, it was announced, as it was the digital M, closest to what I always wanted since using the M8.2).

While I understand that weight and heft play a fair part in the perception of 'quality', a fair bit of the weight of the M is in that darn brass top plate. I'd love to see Leica make a super lightweight and slim version of the M, forgoing brass in favour of titanium, or even just aluminium or magnesium alloy. The Zeiss Ikon feels almost half the weight of the M7, and is much more comfortable to carry for hours at a time.

The Sony A7 shows just how small and light a full frame camera can be. Substitute an optical rangefinder for the EVF and it really shouldn't be that much heavier.

Failing that, just to have the M body slimmed down to M6 classic or M4-2 levels would be great. Everything else can stay the same, function-wise.

I don't think titanium gets you a much lighter camera, it seems to be more about the finish:

According to this source the savings for the titanium MP were as follows:

The Leica MP Titanium - Japan Camera Hunter

"The camera was made with 30 parts using titanium, including all of the exterior fittings. Which makes the camera approximately 90g lighter than a standard MP."

That would correspond to a weight of 495g rather than the standard MP at 585g.

Nick

Back to the camera mentioned in the OP,

I would buy it

;)

(as long as it actually makes the camera smaller and we're back to M6 dimensions ; I don't want to give the screen up just for nostalgia)

I've fantasized about that camera before :

The iso wheel is back, and there's a quick access to white balance with a combinaison of existing buttons : you push the center of the iso wheel and turn the thumb wheel and you get the white balance settings displayed in the remaining frames counter and in a corner of the viewfinder (only visible when you're setting it, disapears when shooting)

Yes the thumb wheel from the M240 stays for this purpose and for Exposure Comp. Other than that, the camera is a M7 with the M8 remaining frames counter on the top plate.

That gets you through a day of shooting without needing any more.

There's many solutions to display the menus and even an image review with histogram :

a hybrid fuji X100 style viewfinder,

the olympus/leica viewfinders that work with the M240,

a wi-fi connection to an I-phone/android app,

and if all else fails, a small lcd display hidden under the bottom plate to access all menu items (but obviously no image review).

• Like 2