Samples from CineStill film @ zero, one and two stop pushes

A miller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is it just me? - but I love the halos.

I like it when the medium's faults make you aware that there is a medium.

It brings photography more in line with other art forms (painting and sculpture come to mind) in which it is clear that what you're looking at is a representation of the artist's intention, not simply a slice of life.

I'm not saying that the fact that there is a visible medium makes a photograph art, just that sometimes it helps. Maybe. Or it's just me.

• Like 7

The image samples here are so wonderful; I have decided to order four rolls. And yes I even like the red halos; if I get the film before I take down the Christmas lights, I might get some interesting shots close to home, from the desert!

I plan on using in my M7 with either 35 Summicron or 50 Summilux. Any advise welcome :)

Where did you all purchase your film?

I have only found one distributer in the US:

Cinestill 800 ISO Tungsten Xpro C-41 Film | Freestyle Photographic Supplies

Any other sources are always welcome.

• Like 1

Hi Steve - At this point I think we all should be getting some pretty serious kickbacks! :)

I believe that the site that you reference is the only North American distributor. I believe there is one in Europe; but buying from them is much more expensive.

The freestylephoto site is very fast and friendly. If they don't have all the rolls you request they'll send what they do have and then send the rest as they come in.

Heaven forbid that there can be any view expressed with regard to which lens you should use. My own results didn't differ much between the ultra modern 35mm sumilux asph fle (which took the shots from Times Square) and my approx. 60-year old 50mm dual range summicron (which took the shots from Jerusalem).

Have fun and please share!

Best,

Adam

• Like 1

I really enjoyed the first two rolls and recently ordered 5 more. Only place in US is the place in LA. As mentioned site is quick easy and the film gets here to NYC fast enough without spending extra for shipping. I figure this makes most sense until the spring when it is lighter and daylight balanced film makes sense. But hey I might like it sunlight as well. Part of the fun of shooting film.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Steve - At this point I think we all should be getting some pretty serious kickbacks! :)

I believe that the site that you reference is the only North American distributor. I believe there is one in Europe; but buying from them is much more expensive.

The freestylephoto site is very fast and friendly. If they don't have all the rolls you request they'll send what they do have and then send the rest as they come in.

Heaven forbid that there can be any view expressed with regard to which lens you should use. My own results didn't differ much between the ultra modern 35mm sumilux asph fle (which took the shots from Times Square) and my approx. 60-year old 50mm dual range summicron (which took the shots from Jerusalem).

Have fun and please share!

Best,

Adam

Thanks and I certainly will; it seems to be perfectly matched to night street photography. Great images :)

I really enjoyed the first two rolls and recently ordered 5 more. Only place in US is the place in LA. As mentioned site is quick easy and the film gets here to NYC fast enough without spending extra for shipping. I figure this makes most sense until the spring when it is lighter and daylight balanced film makes sense. But hey I might like it sunlight as well. Part of the fun of shooting film.

Thanks and I'll certainly try it in daylight, being in Phoenix AZ. I hope it comes in time before I get on the road again!

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing, Steve.

Here are a few more from my batch.

[ATTACH]412262[/ATTACH]

Great shots but I wanted to point this one put because I am stunned by it. A shame about the compression artifacts though.

This film should be perfect for the Xpan with its cinematic format.

Great shots but I wanted to point this one put because I am stunned by it. A shame about the compression artifacts though.

This film should be perfect for the Xpan with its cinematic format.

Many thanks for your comment. I agree about the compression artifacts, although i think I could help myself by using the noise reduction and sharpening features of Lightroom, which I neglected to do for this shot. Also the scanned file was a 100MB+ TIFF file that I compressed into less than 600KB, so the extremity of the compression may also have played apart (but I really don't know about this).

Best,

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Hi gents, quick questions for you Cinestill experts Adam | Steve | Alexander and everyone ~

I made a rookie mistake with the first roll and forgot they aren't DX encoded (must have been all the antibiotics I've been on) ;)

The M7 in DX mode defaults to ISO 100 with unreadable canisters, so my first Cinestill roll was stupidly exposed as 100.

Is there enough latitude to save it?

Can I give the lab some special instruction to perhaps "pull" instead of push?

I know, all you MP owners are having a good grin now, but I still love my M7 :p

Thanks in advance!

Hi Steve - Great experiment that we now will all benefit from! :) I honestly have no idea but I would think that you have no choice but to ask the lab to pull 3 stops. This assumes that you exposed your shots at ISO 100, which I am assuming was the case given that you probably used the meter in your camera which assumed ISO 100.

Please post some results!

Best -

Adam

• Like 1

Hi Steve - Great experiment that we now will all benefit from! :) I honestly have no idea but I would think that you have no choice but to ask the lab to pull 3 stops. This assumes that you exposed your shots at ISO 100, which I am assuming was the case given that you probably used the meter in your camera which assumed ISO 100.

Please post some results!

Best -

Adam

Yes I exposed at the M7's ISO 100 default and thanks Adam for the 3 stop pull advice!

It looks like I'll have to send it to Caleefornia as no one in AZ will know how to pull :D , not that I am implying we're pushers in the desert.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Steve - I am not sure what the inventory is of this film. I purchased a dozen or so rolls myself and me thinks that's all I'll need for the next couple of years at the least. You might consider loading up on some and sticking them in the fridg or freezer (the proverbial "ice box") :)

• Like 1