All things Macro

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm looking for a definitive guide to doing macro on the M240. I've read a lot of threads here and there, I was hoping to pool it all into one place that might be a useful resource for everyone. I am by no means an expert, nor have i actually tried any of these methods. But I'm looking to try some macro stuff with my camera during the long winter months.

M to R adapter + 100m f/2.8 APO Macro

ADV:

- great lens.

DISADV:

- size

- price

Nikon Adapter + 100mm f/2 Makro

Oufro

ADV:

- price (ish)

- usable with any M mount lens

DIS:

- very hard to find. Until Novoflex or someone else makes one.

- is it enough to give at least a 1:3 reproduction?

Visoflex

ADV:

- bellows can be added

DISADV:

- doesn't fit with the 240 unless you get the chimmney style.

Bellows

DISADV:

- needs to be disassembled to be removed

- Bulky

90mm Macro

ADV:

- small

- can be used as a regular 90mm lens

DISADV:

- price

Maybe you are interested in another alternative:

I use the famous, very good and not so expensive Olympus OM 50mm 3.5 Macro lens with a OM to LM adapter. It works very well, is pretty cheap (lens about 100 euros, adapter 30 euros), magnification goes up to 1:2 with the lens only and up to 1:1 with the a extra macro extension tube made for this lens (also very cheap).

The optical quality of the lens is really good and with the electronic viewfinder or live view it is easy to handle. I'm doing macro shots in a light tent (kind of product photography) and I'm on the way to build a 35mm- and 6x6-film digitizer with this setup (see first steps here, includes a picture of the camera with lens also: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2188217&postcount=15).

• Like 2

Guest Emile de Leon

Why not just use an enlarging lens...on a bellows..

Or a WA...and try reversing them..for even closer..

Or one of those Zeiss macros..I forget what they are called now..tiny lil lenses..

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Better than non-macro lenses on extension tubes.

Thanks, but my thoughts were Hoya vs Canon close up lenses. I guess I didn't put it well.

Canon doesn't produce 46 or 49mm so Hoya or B+W might be the only option.

Some complained about the high CA with single lens Close ups as Hoya and B+W.

Hoya set with +1, +2 and +4 is about $40 so they might not be too expensive for an experiment.

... my thoughts were Hoya vs Canon close-up lenses. [...] Canon doesn't produce 46 or 49 mm so Hoya or B+W might be the only option.

Of course, you can always use a close-up diopter lens on a filter adapter ring—so no, B+W or Hoya are not the only options.

Some complained about the high chromatic aberration with single-element close-up lenses as Hoya and B+W.

The Hoya close-up lenses aren't bad ... but yes, chromatic aberrations will be significantly lower with double-element achromatic close-up lenses—especially when stacking two or (gasp) three of them. Very good achromatic close-up lenses come (or came) from Canon, Nikon, Minolta, and Leitz/Leica.

the 100/2.8 is a great macro lens ..... and you have the bonus of a superb portrait lens as well. Although large (by Leica standards) it's not too heavy and I can still get it in my tiny Lowepro bag. Handle nicely on the M.

This is the one option where delay will be costly ...... prices have already risen significantly ....

Macro 90/4 is a nice little lens ..... the macro attachment is fiddly and on mine the parallax adjustment on the 'goggles' shifts .... so I use it now with an OUFRO and the EVF.

An OUFRO .... or two.... will enable you to use almost any lens for macro work when combined with the EVF. Not cheap .... and some on Ebay are outrageous .... but Jinfinance does a copy that most have found works ok although the fit on some is a bit iffy (body too tight and lens loose ..... but they aware and it will probably be fixed). For $50 this is a cheap way to try things out ....

• Like 1

Sounds like you've been asking the same questions about macro as I have over the last few weeks. My solution was to drop some serious notes on an OUFRO from eBay. It's the only one I've seen in the UK and was a bit if an eye watering BIN price but I had a very very slack day on Friday at my freelance job so it kinda payed for itself :-). It's immaculate condition so feel its a little more justified. Anyway. It's early days for me with it but so far so good. A little bewildering to be able to close focus like that with all my lenses. I picked up some cheap Kood close up filters last week too. I tried stacking them all and you can get some very close up, if not a little soft, dreamy and glowy photos. Quite fun to mess about with really. Here's a 'selfie' I did last night. Got a nice light leakesque colouration at the top. Definitely recommend an OUFRO if you can find one.

10501371524_f41d35fb1c_c.jpg

OUFRO by Dan Chippendale, on Flickr

• Like 2

I tried something even different, more extreme maybe since the optical thickness is much bigger:

Leica M (Typ 240) --> Visoflex 3 house --> 35mm Summicron-M ASPH

You have to use the Visoflex in mirror up mode, so you can use live view, also note that with the 35mm Summicron (and other lenses) you have to mirror up first, or the protruding rear lens element will get stuck on the mirror...

It does some extreme macro:

1/90 f/8 ISO 400 (strong sunlight!)

The stripes on the bottom left are reflections from in the visoflex since I didn't have a eyepiece attached, and didn't cover the matteglas. Can't wait to try it with the 90mm Elmarit-M

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!