Why Leica (M)?

sisoje

Enjoyed reading the blog thx! Very happy to know there are people (especially Pros) out there who share the same feeling about the M as the way I do. I'm just a hobbyist who really loves how the rangefinder works... fell in love with how the M9 handles and again, rangefinder focusing works when I had a chance to try it 3 years ago. I can't remember why (no one in my family owns a Leica) but I wanted to have a Leica camera to take pictures with since I was a little kid ... But like most people it has just been a dream. Funny how I pretty much stated the same points you mentioned in your blog to my other half to justify spending the big $$$ on the M. Even I, myself, thought I was going crazy when I ordered the camera.

Finally I'm at the point waiting for delivery, ordered it last month.

The release news about the Sony A7R made me wonder if I should cancel the order of the M and go for the Sony instead. But reading your blog reminded me the reasons why I ordered the M. So far no other cameras made me feel the way I did when I had a chance to use the M9 but it is so easy to get lost in the midst of all the "camera release news". I'll just be patient to wait for the phone call from the camera shop... have to keep reminding myself waiting is a joyful thing... I spent years to save for the M after all.

Again, thanks for sharing your experience & thoughts.

Peace

• Like 2

Enjoyed reading the blog thx! Very happy to know there are people (especially Pros) out there who share the same feeling about the M as the way I do. I'm just a hobbyist who really loves how the rangefinder works... fell in love with how the M9 handles and again, rangefinder focusing works when I had a chance to try it 3 years ago. I can't remember why (no one in my family owns a Leica) but I wanted to have a Leica camera to take pictures with since I was a little kid ... But like most people it has just been a dream. Funny how I pretty much stated the same points you mentioned in your blog to my other half to justify spending the big $$$ on the M. Even I, myself, thought I was going crazy when I ordered the camera.

Finally I'm at the point waiting for delivery, ordered it last month.

The release news about the Sony A7R made me wonder if I should cancel the order of the M and go for the Sony instead. But reading your blog reminded me the reasons why I ordered the M. So far no other cameras made me feel the way I did when I had a chance to use the M9 but it is so easy to get lost in the midst of all the "camera release news". I'll just be patient to wait for the phone call from the camera shop... have to keep reminding myself waiting is a joyful thing... I spent years to save for the M after all.

Again, thanks for sharing your experience & thoughts.

Peace

Glad you found something you could relate to in my story... People who rush to pre order the latest and "greatest" digital cameras and dump the one they have now, only to do it all over again in 6-12 months don't get the "Leica mystique"... And if you DO enjoy shooting with one, there is no substitute in Sony, Fuji, etc...

If I didn't get extremely good deal in trading in my M8 for M9, I would still be shooting with my first Leica digital RF (for seventh year!). Now, my two M9s are pushing "digital retirement" age, but I continue using them together with my M240. For me it's not just MP, low light capability, DR, and all other "technical specs". It's the whole experience looking at the world thru rangefinder. Composing and framing thru rangefinder. Don't need AF, don't need zooms, don't need long lenses. Few of the primes I have complete the kit. When I choose to shoot Leica (instead my big a$$ Nikon), I am between 15mm and 75mm... That is the "eye" I am looking with when Leica M is my hands... Makes sense?

Cheers!

• Like 2

Glad you found something you could relate to in my story... People who rush to pre order the latest and "greatest" digital cameras and dump the one they have now, only to do it all over again in 6-12 months don't get the "Leica mystique"... And if you DO enjoy shooting with one, there is no substitute in Sony, Fuji, etc...

If I didn't get extremely good deal in trading in my M8 for M9, I would still be shooting with my first Leica digital RF (for seventh year!). Now, my two M9s are pushing "digital retirement" age, but I continue using them together with my M240. For me it's not just MP, low light capability, DR, and all other "technical specs". It's the whole experience looking at the world thru rangefinder. Composing and framing thru rangefinder. Don't need AF, don't need zooms, don't need long lenses. Few of the primes I have complete the kit. When I choose to shoot Leica (instead my big a$$ Nikon), I am between 15mm and 75mm... That is the "eye" I am looking with when Leica M is my hands... Makes sense?

Cheers!

Makes perfect sense. I ordered only 1 lens, 50lux, and planned to shoot with it for a year to two before getting additional lenses. I learned that there is no substitution for it because I have an X100. I thought it would be the cure to the M9 bug... in a way it is cause it turned into a reason why I could justify the M purchase to my other half, "I tired using the X100 for 2 years but IT IS JUST NOT THE SAME, it didn't make me forget the M9, rather it made me want it even more" LoL. I adapted to the quirks of the X100 and learned how to use the functions of it to my advantage, but most of the time I found things like focus by wire and hybrid viewfinder are getting in the way I want to take pictures - a "raw" feeling with mechanical manual focus through an ovf.

I feel overwhelmed by the sheer number of buttons and functions every time my friends give me their DSLRs' to have a go. Irony is I'm an IT guy so having lots of buttons with many software options is not a problem to me at all, but not when it comes to photography.

Peace

• Like 1