Leica M-E

benedict297

How are you guys Getting on with your Leica ME?

I've had my M-E exactly 1 year and I still love it. I chose the M-E b/c it was lowest point of entry, in terms of cost, for a new M body. Shortly after I bought my M-E I bought M6 as I wanted to get back into film. The M-E feels exactly the same as my M6, I even end up trying to advance the film when using my M-E.

• Like 3

I've been enjoying mine, which I was only able to buy because my dealer (who's passionate about the brand and making it available to younger people) offered it to me at a crazily reduced price -- less than half of what a new M (typ 240) is going for. Looking at it alongside my existing M6 I am struck by the design continuity between these two cameras manufactured more than 30 years apart. The new M (for better or for worse) seems a departure in this regard.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How are you guys Getting on with your Leica ME?

Today was a very good day, my M-E was delivered early evening. 2 1/2 hours later I got the first battery charged and could start getting familiar with the controls.

My big accomplishment is that I've managed to setup the menu, using many of the suggestions from Thorsten von Overgaard. The LCD screen is better than advertised, I'm pretty pleased, even more so because I put a tiny nick in Giottos' screen protector rather than the LCD itself when I dropped to camera bottom on it while loading the battery - money well spent. I am a klutz.

My initial setup deliberately mirrors the operation of my MP is most respects. The process was pretty straightforward, but tomorrow will tell the tale when I actually start taking real pictures with it rather than armchair quickies. I've got my 28mm Elmarit ASPH mounted so I'm ready to go. Lots of experimentation ahead to confirm my operating preferences, especially in the areas of white balance and ISO. I'll play with some of the M-E's unique capabilities like aperture priority too. Tomorrow night should be fun, downloading & reviewing the first day's shooting.

• Like 1

Berth, congrats on your new equipment!

You got yourself an amazing tool! are u setting up a blog or something where we can read your thoughts. Thanks!

I'm pretty excited about the M-E, the color rendition is simply terrific, the 28mm Elmarit & M-E seem to be made for each other. Together with my MP I'm really well set, the learning experience with each is a lot of fun.

As for 'blog'? Not my thing, I wouldn't have a clue as to how to go about it. After a lifetime of SLR/DSLRs, my plate is pretty full trying to master rangefinder photography, and digital post-processing. There are gaping holes in my knowlege base. I certainly will share my experiences here, though, as I work through it. There's a lot expertise in this forum to help me.

Berth, congrats on your new equipment!

You got yourself an amazing tool! are u setting up a blog or something where we can read your thoughts. Thanks!

I've been shooting with the Leica M-E for over a year now. I try to post a few photographs a week using the camera and the lenses I have.

• Like 1