I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 hours ago, stray cat said:

Having watched the fascinating William Eggleston in the Real World directed by Michael  Almeyreda that Rog mentioned a few posts ago in response to Antonio's excellent American storefront, I thought I'd search and see if I have an "inner Eggleston" shining through in my "morgue". This is about the closest I think I got:

Wall, Fitzroy 2014

Contax G2, 28mm Biogon, TLA 200, Portra 400

Well, I keep coming back to this, gnawing at the circus in my head as it does. This composition is intricate, seemingly the casual chaos of materials that washes up on the shoreline of a painter's studio, or so I would like to fictionalize. The current conceit is that chaotic systems evidence patterns, which calls for a reconsideration of the very notion of chaos not being so chaotic, after all. We have the seven repeated painted panels, kind of like corrugated aluminum, splashed and spray painted in the spirit of Pollock or early Reinhardt abstraction, offset with the torn fiber board in the very interesting right half of the frame. Glad you pulled this out of the morgue for some new life.

Cheers,
Rog

Got more?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Ernest said:

Well, I keep coming back to this, gnawing at the circus in my head as it does. This composition is intricate, seemingly the casual chaos of materials that washes up on the shoreline of a painter's studio, or so I would like to fictionalize. The current conceit is that chaotic systems evidence patterns, which calls for a reconsideration of the very notion of chaos not being so chaotic, after all. We have the seven repeated painted panels, kind of like corrugated aluminum, splashed and spray painted in the spirit of Pollock or early Reinhardt abstraction, offset with the torn fiber board in the very interesting right half of the frame. Glad you pulled this out of the morgue for some new life.

Cheers,
Rog

Got more?

Thank you so much, Rog. Your astute eye has once again hit upon the facts of the matter - I do believe this detritus propped against the wall was indeed from an artist's clearout - who but an artist would arrange their rubbish so artfully? This picture was from a wall nearby, and I would imagine that they are probably related:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Wall 2, Fitzroy 2014

details the same as the last picture, which was the next picture on the negative strip

• Like 14

39 minutes ago, A miller said:

Nice, Rog.  I am seeing a rising sun that is reflecting over the field.  Still haven't identified the yellow rectangle on the bottom though! 

There was a to-die-for sale on cadmium yellow and I just couldn’t pass up four bolts of it.  I still have enough left over for an ottoman and two pillows with giant buttons inspired by Kelly Hoppen.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, stray cat said:

Thank you so much, Rog. Your astute eye has once again hit upon the facts of the matter - I do believe this detritus propped against the wall was indeed from an artist's clearout - who but an artist would arrange their rubbish so artfully? This picture was from a wall nearby, and I would imagine that they are probably related:

Wall 2, Fitzroy 2014

details the same as the last picture, which was the next picture on the negative strip

Yes, this is so cool that you included evidence on the top edge of the frame that this is a color shot of a black-and-white subject. Something that nudges the needle on my amp meter. 

BTW I am skeptical that the artist arranged the “Rubbish” so artistically, rather it is your astute eye that selected this important detail, a valid composition in and of itself, something that Eggleston or Bartos might have considered. 

Edited by Ernest
Add
  • Like 1

My other Eggleston-like offering:

Coober Pedy 2002

Nikon N8008s, AF-Nikkor 20-35mm f2.8, Kodak Ektachrome

• Like 19

9 minutes ago, stray cat said:

My other Eggleston-like offering:

Coober Pedy 2002

Nikon N8008s, AF-Nikkor 20-35mm f2.8, Kodak Ektachrome

When it is working, it is working. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Double Sextant
M-A APO 50mm  ADOX Color Implosion & E100

• Like 18

On the river, Austin, TX

M6 / Tri-X

• Like 19

Bridge Over Frozen Water. ;)  GW690II, Ektar 100.

• Like 19

Am 15.2.2019 um 23:10 schrieb A miller:

It's been a while since I shared some NYC pano fun as I have ben so busy shooting people in the snow 😁😂
Here's one from a crisp cold morning with the Tmax 100 and an orange filter.
617siii, 90mm Schneider Super Angulon XL

Absolut outstanding, Adam.

Regards Joerg

Leica R4 - Elmarit-R 2,8/28 - TMAX100 in D76

7 hours ago, Sparkassenkunde said:

Shadow of the uplift:

Ricoh GR1 - Portra 160

This is an awesome one, James.  A family album cover for sure.  And should be on the list for the 2019 Christmas card, although I wouldn't give it the nod just yet :)

3 hours ago, fotomas said:

Sky on fire

Another one from the Fujicolor F-II 400

Love this one!

2 hours ago, joergel said:

Absolut outstanding, Adam.

Regards Joerg

Thanks, Joerg!! 

2 hours ago, joergel said:

Leica R4 - Elmarit-R 2,8/28 - TMAX100 in D76

Another stunner, Joerg.  Love the curves and shapes.  You really put that R4 to good use!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, stray cat said:

Here's a kind of "Claytons" diptych - the diptych you have when you're not having a diptych. *

I think certain Egyptian house painters have been raiding your palette (and that of Matisse), Rog:

Luxor, Egypt 1987

Canon A1, FD 24mm f2.8 SSC, Kodachrome 25

* for non- Australian /NZ readers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claytons

Great travel photos from Egypt, Phil! Love the colors.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Steve Ricoh said:

It is actually the Rollei 35LED with the Triotar 40mm f/3.5, probably the least favoured lens. Manufactured in Taiwan.

Thanks for the nice comment.

It is a really nice picture - no matter what the lens - so the comment is well earned. I did notice that, closed down a bit, the triotars resolution is significantly improved vs. wide open - at least on my version. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1