I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Kong Triptych No. 2

M-A Thambar-M CS ND3 Portra 400

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

IIIA, 35/3.5 Summaron, Agfa Cinerex

• Like 12

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Nice. How do you like this slow film? The only 50 iso I've ever tried is PanF.

I mentioned earlier that I find it strange, in past I was so obsessed with idea of high ISO photography and films; now I am only interested in lower ISO stuff. This Agfa Cinerex film is something I stumbled across as expired B&W movie film. I did a quick search and discovered it is likely rated at 50 ISO and wound up with 600 feet of the stuff. It was cheap....Like, less than the cost of a brick of TriX cheap. It seems our predecessors, by force or preference, used a lot of low ISO stuff......All well expired now.

As you have experimented with expired Soviet stuff, I recommend Svema 32 if you can find it. I have yet to have any problems with that film, no matter how far past expiration. It is sort of unique in that regard: all other expired Soviet films I have shot are hit-and-miss when it comes to quality of result.

In addition to PanF, I have been shooting FP4 at 50. Thanks to some advice from this list, I am real happy with those results.

Best,

Wayne

• Like 2

Sounds like the story of my life... :D

I keep working toward simplicity, but complexity keeps getting in the way; or, I keep talking about complexity, and simplicity keeps complaining. It is all under construction.

Haha great shot, Phil :)

p2446838203-5.jpg

perturbed (waste) 2016

M2, 35mm summaron, adox silvermax 100

• Like 3

I mentioned earlier that I find it strange, in past I was so obsessed with idea of high ISO photography and films; now I am only interested in lower ISO stuff. This Agfa Cinerex film is something I stumbled across as expired B&W movie film. I did a quick search and discovered it is likely rated at 50 ISO and wound up with 600 feet of the stuff. It was cheap....Like, less than the cost of a brick of TriX cheap. It seems our predecessors, by force or preference, used a lot of low ISO stuff......All well expired now.

As you have experimented with expired Soviet stuff, I recommend Svema 32 if you can find it. I have yet to have any problems with that film, no matter how far past expiration. It is sort of unique in that regard: all other expired Soviet films I have shot are hit-and-miss when it comes to quality of result.

In addition to PanF, I have been shooting FP4 at 50. Thanks to some advice from this list, I am real happy with those results.

Best,

Wayne

600ft? Wow!

Svema 32 is not easy to find. I have ordered a couple of rolls of Rollei RPX 25 (35mm) and I hope to try one next week, probably at the beach. Maybe I should have got 120mm rolls, but they were sold out.

• Like 1

Pentax Z1  |  SMC Pentax FA 28 - 80 mm F 3.5 - 4.7 Power Zoom  |  Fujichrome Velvia  |  Plustek Scan

• Like 13

Looks great! Do you a website or instagram where we can see more of this work? Thanks

Thanks for your interest and noticing that I don’t have Instagram or a website. That is something I keep meaning to get around doing.

Cheers,

Rog

• Like 1

600ft? Wow!

Svema 32 is not easy to find. I have ordered a couple of rolls of Rollei RPX 25 (35mm) and I hope to try one next week, probably at the beach. Maybe I should have got 120mm rolls, but they were sold out.

The RPX 25 is great stuff. I am going to slit some for Minox.  On the low ISO film, be bold. Don't hesitate to shoot low shutter speed (<20) in lower light. Sometimes the result is magic. It is only film. If it does not work................ :)

OBTW, another unique feature of the Minox cameras is it seems to allow more effective hand-held, slow shutter use. The manual warns against camera shake at anything lower the 1/10, but I have been pretty successful at 1/5. That sort of thing opens a new universe. The shot of the woman in the store was at 1/5.

You really need a Minox. Think of the dog shots you could capture.

• Like 2

p2446838203-5.jpg

perturbed (waste) 2016

M2, 35mm summaron, adox silvermax 100

You have such an eye for the ironic, Phil. “Waste“ floating like a thought bubble over our wannabe passengers of life. Applause for the ambiguity. Is it a waste of time? Are they wasting time? Are they frustrated and wasted? Is the waste simply refuse (trash), or is it refuse (deny)? Is it obliteration? Wasteland? Oh, the ambiguity of language pitted against the penumbra of a photograph. So many shadows of meaning. And the skateboard is such a nice touch in the context of the railroad tracks leading to such a decisive vanishing point.

I wonder if the young man has ever thought about being a hair donor, something that might be of benefit to me.

• Like 2

Kitchen table. 

The way we were.  Never had it so good. 

Leica MP

50mm elmar-m f2.8 (image made at f2.8)

Ilford FP4+

• Like 17

Viridian Afternoon Diptych No. 2

M-A APO-Summicron-M 50mm LHSA ADOX Color Implosion + Rollei Redbird

• Like 10

Sounds like the story of my life... :D

Haha great shot, Phil :)

You have such an eye for the ironic, Phil. “Waste“ floating like a thought bubble over our wannabe passengers of life. Applause for the ambiguity. Is it a waste of time? Are they wasting time? Are they frustrated and wasted? Is the waste simply refuse (trash), or is it refuse (deny)? Is it obliteration? Wasteland? Oh, the ambiguity of language pitted against the penumbra of a photograph. So many shadows of meaning. And the skateboard is such a nice touch in the context of the railroad tracks leading to such a decisive vanishing point.

I wonder if the young man has ever thought about being a hair donor, something that might be of benefit to me.

Thank you so much Philip and Rog - and to all who gave it a "thank you". The support and encouragement here is phenomenal.

As to the picture - you mention wasteland Rog - it has always reminded me of The Who's brilliant and perceptive Baba O'Reilly:

Sally take my hand

We'll travel south cross land

Put out the fire

And don't look past my shoulder

The exodus is here

The happy ones are near

Let's get together, before we get much older

Teenage wasteland

It's only teenage wasteland

They're all wasted!

Ah the nexus between music and photography. Pretty hard to find something more enjoyable!

And, yeah, don't take too much of that hair donation Rog - I could use some myself!

• Like 4

Thank you so much Philip and Rog - and to all who gave it a "thank you". The support and encouragement here is phenomenal.

As to the picture - you mention wasteland Rog - it has always reminded me of The Who's brilliant and perceptive Baba O'Reilly:

Sally take my handWe'll travel south cross landPut out the fireAnd don't look past my shoulderThe exodus is hereThe happy ones are nearLet's get together, before we get much older

Teenage wastelandIt's only teenage wasteland

They're all wasted!

Ah the nexus between music and photography. Pretty hard to find something more enjoyable!

And, yeah, don't take too much of that hair donation Rog - I could use some myself!

Oh, yes, I remember this from The Who, but I never knew the lyrics, so out of my wheelhouse. I punched it up on YouTube, too much fun, then called up the Yardbirds and “Train Kept A Rollin’,” re-released as “Stroll On” for Antonioni’s Blow Up. Honestly, Phil, I think you have hit upon the new genre—every photograph has its soundtrack! Thanks for the lyrics to “Baba Reilly!” Yes. OK just a minute OK

• Like 1

Thanks again Rog. Yes I always thought Pete Townsend's lyrics were often quite prophetic, perhaps none more so than here. Glad you called up the YouTube video of "Stroll On" too - I have it on my favourites playlist - it makes me smile to envision that scene in the club. BTW the keen eyed may spot a very young Michael Palin from Monty Python in the crowd in the club.

Edited by stray cat

The RPX 25 is great stuff. I am going to slit some for Minox.  On the low ISO film, be bold. Don't hesitate to shoot low shutter speed (<20) in lower light. Sometimes the result is magic. It is only film. If it does not work................ :)

OBTW, another unique feature of the Minox cameras is it seems to allow more effective hand-held, slow shutter use. The manual warns against camera shake at anything lower the 1/10, but I have been pretty successful at 1/5. That sort of thing opens a new universe. The shot of the woman in the store was at 1/5.

You really need a Minox. Think of the dog shots you could capture.

I just got a Nikon FM2 (after selling a Pentax MX though), I have to behave for a while.

• Like 1