I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Route 1

attachicon.gifimg475.jpg

Minox B, Agfa Copex

This is like a novel by Steinbeck or a painting by Edward Hopper - it contains so much that is American. It's like the 1950s in movies shown on a black and white TV. It's quirky (that huge truck on such an tranquil street). I like it - a lot.

• Like 2

Rainstorm approaching Callanish, Isle of Lewis. 2017.

I've photographed this place regularly for over 25 years, with film and with digital cameras. It takes time and effort to create a body of work in order to step beyond randomness and luck. The personal satisfaction from building an archive is the payback for the years of learning, financial outlay, frustration and the joy of being a photographer.

None or which needs to mean anything to anyone else. Photography is a personal journey.

Fuji GX617

SWD 90mm

Iford Delta 100

Lee 25

An absolutely brilliant portrait of an outstanding place of beauty. And I couldn't agree more with your words.

• Like 3

Philip requested a couple more. And you are right, Philip - if you suspected that these are the sides of shipping crates. Interestingly enough (to me at any rate, now that I try to remember the circumstances of taking these pictures) all were taken with a normal, standard 50mm lens. Yet, because there is so little information on which to go, you don't get a very clear idea of scale. Some, like Blues, were taken from very close, while Ochres was taken from some few meters back so as to include enough. Without any reference as to scale, we don't really know that. Anyway, here are a few more:

All Canon A1, FDn 50mm f1.4, Kodak Ektachrome E100VS

p2997888935-5.jpg

p2996208978-5.jpg

p2996210953-5.jpg

• Like 17

Steve, like Sunny's shot - but different - is the visual vocabulary you've used - everything about this picture says "Epic" - from the low viewpoint looking up, to the sumptuous tones to the very eriting on the wall - all this reinforces that this is indeed an epic picture.

Too kind Phil, but thank you kindly.

• Like 1

Spherical mirror, etc.; Ilford Delta 100.

Paul

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 16

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you Wayne. I can see the inverse similarity now that you point it out.

It brings to mind Paul Strand's Wall Street. Sort of a counter.

Best,

Wayne

Thank you Phil. Well I've been involved with the Balkans for the better part of the past two decades, by accident really since that's where I landed my first job as a lawyer. It's a fascinating and frustrating region in equal measures which I experienced first-hand when I lived and worked in Bosnia 2000-2002. At that time I had the opportunity to drive Sarajevo-Pristina with a friend in the ICRC but had to pass because of work so this was my first visit and I regret that I didn't have more time but I had the Hasselblad with me and snapped whenever I could.

It's saddening how little progress has been made in several of the former Yugoslav countries when one considers the enormous amount of effort and money that the international community has poured into that region since the early 90's. And that is a true shame in light of the terrible atrocities that were committed during the wars. Still, there are nice and very friendly people of all cultures and creeds in many parts of that region which makes it well worth a visit.

Philip I've been meaning to comment since you posted your original picture from Pristina. They've all been superb and show a part of the world that has a definite intrigue to those of us unfortunate enough to have been unable to visit. It reminds me most of all of a phoenix trying to rise from the ashes - and almost but maybe not quite yet succeeding. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts, although it sounds like you had limited time perhaps to observe and reflect upon such things.

On that point, of limited time - yours is a salient lesson on what can be achieved in a very short period of time. To lug around the Hasselblad and use it so well within such a small window of opportunity - very inspiring.

I had to look up where this is. Seeing the ordinary day-time photos of this place on the internet it is evident that you've caught its mystique extremely well in this photo.

Rainstorm approaching Callanish, Isle of Lewis. 2017.

I've photographed this place regularly for over 25 years, with film and with digital cameras. It takes time and effort to create a body of work in order to step beyond randomness and luck. The personal satisfaction from building an archive is the payback for the years of learning, financial outlay, frustration and the joy of being a photographer.

None or which needs to mean anything to anyone else. Photography is a personal journey.

Fuji GX617
SWD 90mm
Iford Delta 100
Lee 25

Thank you Phil. These are terrific. The three-dimensionality of the first one makes me think of that artist who drew shapes on buildings and those shapes could only be fully observed from one particular point in the city, I think it may have been Berlin but possibly also in other cities. Does anyone remember this? Truly fascinating stuff.

Philip requested a couple more. And you are right, Philip - if you suspected that these are the sides of shipping crates. Interestingly enough (to me at any rate, now that I try to remember the circumstances of taking these pictures) all were taken with a normal, standard 50mm lens. Yet, because there is so little information on which to go, you don't get a very clear idea of scale. Some, like Blues, were taken from very close, while Ochres was taken from some few meters back so as to include enough. Without any reference as to scale, we don't really know that. Anyway, here are a few more:

All Canon A1, FDn 50mm f1.4, Kodak Ektachrome E100VS

p2997888935-5.jpg

p2996208978-5.jpg

p2996210953-5.jpg

Great composition Paul. 

Spherical mirror, etc.; Ilford Delta 100.

Paul

attachicon.gifR1-08686-0025A.jpg

Love the drama in this one Steve, and the contrasts between new and old. 

42883099045_a95d272c22_b.jpgOf Space and Time by -Steve Ricoh-
Tri-X 1600, Leica M6 35 f/2, Plustek Scan

• Like 3

So what does one do alone one evening in Pristina? Go to the movies, of course. 

I went to the nice old Kino ABC in the centre and watched Branagh's take on the Murder on the Orient Express together with 19 other people, all very well behaved and fully compliant with the Wittertainment Code of Conduct.

The film wasn't very good and I found it pretty surprising that Branagh had added a scene, serving no real plot purpose, in the middle (a chase when the train has stopped on the bridge). The movie was projected in English with Kosovo Albanian subtitles superimposed in a slightly greenish field at the bottom of the screen. Coming from Sweden where we subtitle a lot, I didn't mind this at all but it became hilarious when, after a short while, the subtitles became completely out-of-sync with the on-screen dialogue. And then, halfway through the film, the subtitles ceased all together :)

Naturally I had brought my camera. After the film I spoke with Feid, the usher/projectionist/janitor, who kindly agreed to let me photograph the cinema. He was very unhappy about the multiplexes (there's at least one in Pristina) which, he said, "destroy for real cinemas". I shot this in the theatre, leaning the camera on one of the seats.

43030644604_f506c70431_b.jpg

Flickr

40/4 CFE Provia 400X (expired) X1

Edited by philipus
  • Like 10

This is in the Jardin Publique in Bordeaux. The park is large and graceful, with a small-ish pond and lots of great places to sit and relax. Bordeaux is a terrific city, with great public spaces, top rate restaurants, and much to see and do. 

• Like 14

a kid jumping on a trampoline

Nikon N80, Nikkor 35/2, Astrum Photo 400

20180727- by antoniofedele, on Flickr

This is in the Jardin Publique in Bordeaux. The park is large and graceful, with a small-ish pond and lots of great places to sit and relax. Bordeaux is a terrific city, with great public spaces, top rate restaurants, and much to see and do. 

These are both excellent and perfectly illustrate another aspect or technique of photography / art that maybe doesn't receive as much attention as it should: looking through a screen at the main subject. Again this goes back to the visual language that is spoken in the photograph - looking at something this way puts a kind of perceived barrier between the viewer and the subject - which can be used to "say" many things. It requires a consciousness on behalf of the viewer to seek out the subject for her/himself. These two are wonderful examples.

• Like 4

This is like a novel by Steinbeck or a painting by Edward Hopper - it contains so much that is American. It's like the 1950s in movies shown on a black and white TV. It's quirky (that huge truck on such an tranquil street). I like it - a lot.

As usual, Phil perfectly triangulates the intersection of literature and art with photography. Photography is not an orphan sitting alone on the steps of invention. Photographers are in the tribe that folds from one moment to the next, speaking in the silent language of images that broadcast telling details. Details of the human experience, perception, predicament, whatever. Steinbeck captures the humanity of characters in conflict; Hopper sketches the architecture of alienation in his landscapes and cityscapes, sometimes peopled with isolated souls in offices, hotel rooms, and diners. Wayne’s photograph, just as Phil says, is “like the 1950s in music movies shown on black-and-white TV.“  Film noir now that I think about it and didn’t realize until Phil pointed it out. Yes, that “quirky huge truck,“ making its way down the street that has been patched repeatedly in the “truck lane,” says something about time and place, something that would not have escaped the attention of Edward Hopper, certainly.

• Like 3

Thank you Wayne. I can see the inverse similarity now that you point it out.

Thank you Phil. Well I've been involved with the Balkans for the better part of the past two decades, by accident really since that's where I landed my first job as a lawyer. It's a fascinating and frustrating region in equal measures which I experienced first-hand when I lived and worked in Bosnia 2000-2002. At that time I had the opportunity to drive Sarajevo-Pristina with a friend in the ICRC but had to pass because of work so this was my first visit and I regret that I didn't have more time but I had the Hasselblad with me and snapped whenever I could.

It's saddening how little progress has been made in several of the former Yugoslav countries when one considers the enormous amount of effort and money that the international community has poured into that region since the early 90's. And that is a true shame in light of the terrible atrocities that were committed during the wars. Still, there are nice and very friendly people of all cultures and creeds in many parts of that region which makes it well worth a visit.

I had to look up where this is. Seeing the ordinary day-time photos of this place on the internet it is evident that you've caught its mystique extremely well in this photo.

Thank you Phil. These are terrific. The three-dimensionality of the first one makes me think of that artist who drew shapes on buildings and those shapes could only be fully observed from one particular point in the city, I think it may have been Berlin but possibly also in other cities. Does anyone remember this? Truly fascinating stuff.

Great composition Paul. 

Love the drama in this one Steve, and the contrasts between new and old. 

Thank you Philip. Your legal work and observations and thoughts on the Balkans, as well as your wonderful pictures, must surely add to the valuable body of work that will constitute the remediation of that horrible internecine conflict that tore this region apart not so very long ago. Surely the international community can do better to alleviate the victims of that war from the repercussions of it? We've travelled to parts, pre-war, ourselves and remember a very beautiful region and friendly people - parts like Trsteno http://www.dubrovnikcroatia.info/trsteno.html and Plitvice https://np-plitvicka-jezera.hr/en/ stand out in our memory.

• Like 2

Leica M5 + 90mm APO Summicron ASPH + LomoGraphy LOMO-400

• Like 10

Leica M5 + 90mm APO Summicron ASPH + LomoGraphy LOMO-400

Urban Nature

• Like 10

Detour Triptych

M-A Thambar-M CS ND3 Portra 400

• Like 10

Kong Triptych

M-A Thambar-M CS ND3 Portra 400

• Like 12