I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Great job, Neil.  I personally wouldn't have opened the shadows as it has lifted the black points throughout the image and introduced some noise in the hair etc.  But it is very lovely!

Right off the scanner with a drop shadow added.............I love shooting LF

Chamonix 4x5 Edkar 100 self developed in C41

BRILLIANT!!  More please!!

l‘île rousse
mp, 35 asph, bw 400 cn

A wonderful moment and a well-exposed image in the challenging snow and chrome!

Forty years ago we moved from the relatively balmy (weather-wise, if one ignores its horizontal rain!) of the Isle of Anglesey off the west coast of the UK, right across to the other side of the country to a small village in North Norfolk - which provided No. 1 son with his first experience of snow.  (Pentax ME Super & Agfachrome transparencies).

The village centre with Infants' School on the left.

Cleo. An unhappy sitter.

attachicon.gifscowl800.jpg

XX in Rodinal. I've left in the emulsion flaw, because it's part of the image.

Very interesting, Steve.  I wouldn't have associated these panels of cars with a church :)

Leica M6 35 f/2 Tri-X 400
25189361568_5e5ba29567_b.jpgCars at St Luke's by -Steve Ricoh-

• Like 3

Adam, St Luke's Church is a relic from the Second World War suffering substantial damage from incendiary bombs. It is preserved in it's present state as a reminder of the need to preserve peace in Europe. Why there's a tiled wall of cars, I'm not sure. I agree it's most odd. I saw it as an opportunity to fire another shot and get closer to developing the film. How come it takes me so long to complete a role of 36, and what chance have I of shooting 72 from my Pen F. Probably take forever! :)

Edited by Steve Ricoh
  • Like 4

Thanks for the comments everyone, they are very much appreciated.  Philip, that's an interesting point, I was also finding that the bottom half seemed somewhat sinister compared to the top.  Here are two more, from the Izu Peninsula.

M7, Zeiss 50/2 Planar, HP5, D76:

38179229815_5e1aa774a3_c.jpg
Untitled by Brendan | Toews, on Flickr

39029771082_ee54185035_c.jpg
Untitled by Brendan | Toews, on Flickr

These are very nice Brendan !!

Love it. 

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks, Steve.  You are also very astute.  I really like how Joel branched out his photography and tackled/s projects of many formats and genres.  He seemed/s to reinvent himself many times.  He is also quite articulate and always makes things sound glorious.  I must say, though, that I haven't really taken a deep dive into a study of Joel's work.   But I should.   Winogrand, on the other hand, was - in my view - somewhat pathetic with his compulsion.  Sometimes I think about that side of it when I am taking photos of random people.  Sometimes I get a look from someone that clearly conveys that they think I am pathetic.  But if the photo works I think a convincing argument can be made that it actually isn't pathetic.  But if it doesn't work, I conversely think that it can be pathetic.  The predicament comes at the point of taking the photo, when you really don't know... 

Adam that is a very interesting and astute observation on street shooting. Although I think I'd step back a bit from the use of a strong word like pathetic. It is really difficult sometimes, when shooting on the street, to gauge the mood of people. My own approach now is to be prepared to justify that what I'm doing is, well, what I do. There is nothing wrong in it, there is no disrespecting you, the subject - but I need for myself to get reasonable street photos, with the aim of taking great photos, so that is what I'm trying to do. I don't think Winogrand was pathetic in his compulsion. His WAS a compulsion - something he seemingly had little control over - yet no-one got hurt, no-one got disrespected and the world was gifted some incredibly powerful and enigmatic images. Meyerowitz is, on the other hand, a little too catholic in his eclecticism for my taste. His 35mm street work was good, but nowhere near the level of Winogrand's in my opinion. Some of his large format work, such as Cape Light, is very good indeed.

And that last Color Implosion shot is a cracker - right medium, right feel.

Edited by stray cat
  • Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Great job, Neil. I personally wouldn't have opened the shadows as it has lifted the black points throughout the image and introduced some noise in the hair etc. But it is very lovely!

BRILLIANT!! More please!!

A wonderful moment and a well-exposed image in the challenging snow and chrome!

Very interesting, Steve. I wouldn't have associated these panels of cars with a church :)

cheers Adam

What I meant about the drop shadows is the border nothing to do with photoshop sliders

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hunter-Gatherers:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Minox B, Portra 400

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 13

Christmas Spirits:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Minox B, Portra 400

• Like 13

I'm happy you enjoy the rolling experience. I love taking out that big can of Double-X from the freezer and rolling a few cartridges. About the exposure, I think it looks good. What's really cool with Double-X is that one can shoot across such a wide range of EI. As an example here are shots at EI 800 and EI 200 (posted before).

33663995352_845a6610c6_b.jpg

Flickr

TTL 90 E-M

34558329014_5daff96517_b.jpg

Flickr

M4 50/2

Broken boardwalk ...

attachicon.gifCANON T60-1000128.jpg

Canon T60, FD 1:2.8/24, Kodak Double X @250 ISO and developed in Ilfosol 3 1:4

One from my first couple of rolls of Double X which I also rolled from bulk so a double x for me.  Not sure about exposing at 250 as a lot of the frames from both rolls (different cameras) appeared to be over exposed.  I think I'll try 200 ISO for the next role and use Rodinal as the developer to give me a comparison.  Enjoyed the rolling experience though and I'm sure I'll give that another try in the future.

This is great Antonio.

Pitch black sky - Milano again.

Leica M6, Summicron 35 asph, HP5@1600, HC-110 dil B

38344443674_02859bbffb_b.jpg

20171208-DSCF0606 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

Haha what a story, Adam. Talk about suffering for one's art. It's a great shot and knowing this story makes it even better.

Oh Phil.  I could talk your ear off about this all day.  I think it really depends on the situation.  I am speaking more about those "up close and personal" "no guts no glory" situations that honestly most people don't venture into.  In these, the word "pathetic" absolutely crosses my mind from time to time - rightly or wrongly.  Here's an example.  This lady was so angry at me after I took this photo and made such a scene that I had instantly had a hundred commuters staring down at me in disdain and to top it off I had this lady's claws gripping my shoulders violently as she held me for the police (which she incorrectly thought would take me straight to prison).  She screamed vulgarities at me.  She couldn't grasp the concept of why I wanted to get about a meter from her face with my obnoxious camera.  I am not exaggerating when I tell you that I was resigned to the idea of having to use my physical force in order to get the last off of me.

It is arguably pathetic that I enjoyed every moment of this.  The fact that I came away with a photograph that documents in so many ways the (sub)culture, fashion and attitude of New Yorkers in this time period could be more than enough justification for all the trouble.  Depends on who you talk to, I guess..

• Like 15

Oh Phil.  I could talk your ear off about this all day.  I think it really depends on the situation.  I am speaking more about those "up close and personal" "no guts no glory" situations that honestly most people don't venture into.  In these, the word "pathetic" absolutely crosses my mind from time to time - rightly or wrongly.  Here's an example.  This lady was so angry at me after I took this photo and made such a scene that I had instantly had a hundred commuters staring down at me in disdain and to top it off I had this lady's claws gripping my shoulders violently as she held me for the police (which she incorrectly thought would take me straight to prison).  She screamed vulgarities at me.  She couldn't grasp the concept of why I wanted to get about a meter from her face with my obnoxious camera.  I am not exaggerating when I tell you that I was resigned to the idea of having to use my physical force in order to get the last off of me.

It is arguably pathetic that I enjoyed every moment of this.  The fact that I came away with a photograph that documents in so many ways the (sub)culture, fashion and attitude of New Yorkers in this time period could be more than enough justification for all the trouble.  Depends on who you talk to, I guess..

This is something I think about all the time.  Rather than considering you pathetic, you should be seen as accommodating. One has only to glimpse this photograph to understand the subject craves attention. You gave it to her..............Buckets of it. What saintly behavior, Adam.

I bet the DKS guy just kept walking. :) It is my opinion that he, not her, makes the shot. Please don't let her know.

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 4

Oh Phil. I could talk your ear off about this all day. I think it really depends on the situation. I am speaking more about those "up close and personal" "no guts no glory" situations that honestly most people don't venture into. In these, the word "pathetic" absolutely crosses my mind from time to time - rightly or wrongly. Here's an example. This lady was so angry at me after I took this photo and made such a scene that I had instantly had a hundred commuters staring down at me in disdain and to top it off I had this lady's claws gripping my shoulders violently as she held me for the police (which she incorrectly thought would take me straight to prison). She screamed vulgarities at me. She couldn't grasp the concept of why I wanted to get about a meter from her face with my obnoxious camera. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that I was resigned to the idea of having to use my physical force in order to get the last off of me.

It is arguably pathetic that I enjoyed every moment of this. The fact that I came away with a photograph that documents in so many ways the (sub)culture, fashion and attitude of New Yorkers in this time period could be more than enough justification for all the trouble. Depends on who you talk to, I guess..

You really came away with a fantastic shot, Adam. Worth the trouble by all means. Luckily I’ve never had such reaction so far. It would have put me off street shooting for sure.

• Like 3

The shot is worth every single penny, Adam. Also an interesting narrative to accompany the shot. All I can say is this, you have b@lls!
  • Like 3

Is he making gold leaf?

Yes, he is. It is quite a long process. While it looks heavy-handed, there is a very delicate side to it as well.

Here is a link I found which elaborates what and how much goes into its making:http://wanderlustandlipstick.com/blogs/wandershopper/2013/04/12/myanmar-gold-leaf-traditions-and-visiting-king-galon/

• Like 1

Philip - Thanks very much and I really like this photo of the tree leaves.  I can't wait to shoot the cinestill XX rolls...

I'm happy you enjoy the rolling experience. I love taking out that big can of Double-X from the freezer and rolling a few cartridges. About the exposure, I think it looks good. What's really cool with Double-X is that one can shoot across such a wide range of EI. As an example here are shots at EI 800 and EI 200 (posted before).

Flickr

TTL 90 E-M

34558329014_5daff96517_b.jpg

Flickr

M4 50/2

Haha what a story, Adam. Talk about suffering for one's art. It's a great shot and knowing this story makes it even better.

Funny, Wayne.  Yeah, it is so amusing at how people (women super included) will parade on the street half dressed and with lots of otherwise "look at me" "lust me for" pay attention to me" bells and whistles but then are discriminatory as to who can react and how.  Totally unrelated to this thread but it seems to me that this is somewhat coming to a head in our society right now.  Some people are legitimately not treated well, and others just want to have their cake and eat it to...

This is something I think about all the time.  Rather than considering you pathetic, you should be seen as accommodating. One has only to glimpse this photograph to understand the subject craves attention. You gave it to her..............Buckets of it. What saintly behavior, Adam.

I bet the DKS guy just kept walking. :) It is my opinion that he, not her, makes the shot. Please don't let her know.

Funny, Edward.  It is not that rare for me and when it happens it kills my spirit a little but I just recoil and wait a while and it comes back :)

You really came away with a fantastic shot, Adam. Worth the trouble by all means. Luckily I’ve never had such reaction so far. It would have put me off street shooting for sure.

Thanks and here we call it "chutzpah" :)

The shot is worth every single penny, Adam. Also an interesting narrative to accompany the shot. All I can say is this, you have b@lls!

• Like 4