I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was dumb enough to crawl in my work clothes along the Thames river long the muddy rocks for the sunset a couple of weeks ago.  I got this shot, but also got (i) a lot of laughs and teases from people on the pedestrian path above as they watch me struggle inch by inch over every rock trying not to slip on my ass and (ii) my work shoes, camera bag and rain jacket completely covered with disgusting mud, which I had to my hotel completely wash and clean.  I remember reaching out and putting my hand against the inner wall of the river bank for balance only to find it slip down about 2 inches of thick disgusting green mud that is probably 1000 years old.   :o

But I got this photo.... :)

SWC, Ektar

attachicon.gifsunset, Tower Bridge.jpg

Excellent Adam,

You make London look like New York! :) With a story worth telling to boot.

Rgds

C.

• Like 2

Thanks, Gentlemen.  It was a comical evening the way I ended up at my hotel in Canary Wharf looking like Crocodile Dundee after a day in the swamp; and I missed dinner to boot, which made me extra cranky :)

ah the price artists must pay for their work!  :-)  great job!

Perfectly composed and lit!  As others have commented, very well worth the trials and tribulations in reaching the perfect position.

With a shot like that, well worth the mess.

Beautiful.

Gary

Phil - Interesting comparison.  I like the top better.  

Having been without, firstly, my scanner (now fixed!!) and secondly my computer (the old Mac Pro finally died. I am waiting on a new iMac which #&$%@! Apple seem to have "lost" for the last couple of weeks and am using a borrowed computer with the drives from my old computer), I have been neglectful in regards to this forum.

Anyway, I've been noticing a lot of conversation around the relative merits of various colour films. Whilst I think we all have our favourites, and with good cause, I'd just like to add a small consideration of processing to the conversation. It can potentially make a vast difference to the end result, at least as displayed on our monitors - and this is independent of whether the original picture was taken using digital, colour negative, slide or black and white film.

As an example, here are two different treatments of the same picture from my recent trip to Cape Light ...er Cape Cod. The negative is on Portra 160. One of these examples was scanned as a transparency, the other as a colour negative (using Vuescan) and both were processed to the best of my ability - ie I tried to get the picture as aesthetically pleasing as possible, while keeping it reasonably accurate to my memory of the scene.

Perhaps you prefer one or the other? I'd be interested to hear any comments anyone might care to make:

p2435527286-5.jpg

p2435527295-5.jpg

Wellfleet, Massachusetts June 2017

M6TTL, 35mm Summicron, Portra 160

Yes Steve around a Champagne Veuve Clicquot or Moet Chandon cup in Adam exposition

at NYC ? :)  What do you think Steve and Adam ?

Picture of the London bridge is SUPERB Adam !  I don't tell this comment with  HD1 digital !

The color is natural and that's what I like

Thanks Adam for posting

Best to both of you

Henry

If Adam ponies up for some Perrier-Jouët at his opening, count me in!

Congratulations Adam ...! Great work and it was a hard work .. hahahaha. But in the end you have glory and honor, a clean rain jacket... and a fantastic photo.

Best

Gregor

Excellent Adam,

You make London look like New York! :) With a story worth telling to boot.

Rgds

C.

Edited by A miller
  • Like 1

Having been without, firstly, my scanner (now fixed!!) and secondly my computer (the old Mac Pro finally died. I am waiting on a new iMac which #&$%@! Apple seem to have "lost" for the last couple of weeks and am using a borrowed computer with the drives from my old computer), I have been neglectful in regards to this forum.

Anyway, I've been noticing a lot of conversation around the relative merits of various colour films. Whilst I think we all have our favourites, and with good cause, I'd just like to add a small consideration of processing to the conversation. It can potentially make a vast difference to the end result, at least as displayed on our monitors - and this is independent of whether the original picture was taken using digital, colour negative, slide or black and white film.

As an example, here are two different treatments of the same picture from my recent trip to Cape Light ...er Cape Cod. The negative is on Portra 160. One of these examples was scanned as a transparency, the other as a colour negative (using Vuescan) and both were processed to the best of my ability - ie I tried to get the picture as aesthetically pleasing as possible, while keeping it reasonably accurate to my memory of the scene.

Perhaps you prefer one or the other? I'd be interested to hear any comments anyone might care to make:

Wellfleet, Massachusetts June 2017

M6TTL, 35mm Summicron, Portra 160

Phil,

For me the first one, being lower in contrast it seems to retain more details, which matches imho the tender and brittle light. But, of course, I wasn't there, so I may think different otherwise.

As to my musical choice of the moment: ¡Ay! este azul sung by Philippe Jarkowsky, from "Los Pajaros Perdidos" (Christina Pluhar).

Best regards

C.

• Like 1

Very interesting, Philip :)  I am brining my 16mm tube with me to Israel tomorrow (where I'll be for the next month).  I hope to spend some time in the botanical garden emulating you :)

Sneaking up on some ladybirds having a good time.

34990029641_16f59d6164_b.jpg

Flickr

80 Planar+tubes (handheld) Portra 400NC (expired, at EI100).

Wonderful, Klaus.  The blue is a little too intense for me but the color of the field is sublime.

Rolleiflex 6002, Planar 80, Velvia 100F

attachicon.gif 6002_Juli17_004.jpg

Wow, Gary.  I really love your aerial shots.

And I'll get back into a little "out the office window" series for a while, off and on.

ETRSi

80mm

Agfo 100RS

Epson 4870

Gary

Beautiful, Henry.

After sunset over the city taken with the Apo Telyt 135 Asph lens  :) ,

a second series of pictures in color taken from my Tower Hotel of 70m

as my HD Western Digital brand (500 Mo) has breathed one's last  :angry:

I just scan some more pictures taken during my last mission ...

Kodak Portra 160-Leica M7-Tripod-Apo Telyt 135 Asph

Nikon Coolscan 5000

Danang a nice city , a bit noisy 

Sept 2016

My thoughts for these men who work under 44°C

Houses are too close by in case of fire will have many dead .... 

attachicon.gif Image12dntravxkp16m7apotelytlfht+++1000.jpg

A large bridge over the river Han

a vietnamese work

attachicon.gif Image14dnpontkp16m7apotelytlfht+++1000.jpg

Apo Telyt is a great lens with a wonderful definition ... it's like my R Elmarit 135

Best

Henry

Mazal Tov, Steve.  Thanks for sharing the lovely photos.

My son and future daughter-in-law (future ends Labor Day Weekend) -- Leica R 6.2 and the R 90mm Elmarit ..... wanted to get an SLR, skipped the SL (digital) and went straight to the M6 equivalent ... weight, form factor, etc is GREAT! purely mechanical except for the TTL meter, spot or average choice. Will have some fun with this in the coming weeks ...  BTW, no crop because I wanted to show the whole pic and no adjustments ...

Your portrait with the Portra 160 is out of the world amazing.  

Thanks all for the positive feedback on the 50APO beach shots.

Love your family shots above Steve, the R6.2 is a fine camera, looks like you are enjoying it.

Totally agree with straycat's (and everyone else's) nicely expressed thoughts on film through the lens of timet.

I don't normally share family pictures but since we're on the subject, time is all too short, and my youngest is now 7 (and right at this moment in time I can feel her standing on the precipice of leaving innocence behind forever.)

A fun 'old school cool' shot with the SWC/Provia 400. A very recent holiday rental house with such retro authentic furniture we felt compelled to capture it.

And both my kids, with the Rolleiflex/Portra 160 this time

34220315185_a13f7d3d9b_c.jpg

Wow, this is a wonderful shot.  Very crisp and airy.  A really lovely scene.

The Gondolier

Rollei 6002, 80mm Planar, Ilford XP2

36002660422_3220f2cf06_b.jpg

• Like 4

Coney Island, Brooklyn.  :)

Linhof Technika Press 23, 53 Zeiss Biogon, Fuji Pro 400H (6x9)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 13

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Adam, 

The larger you go in format, the better your street scenes get. 

Love it!

Rgds

Christoph

I had some spare time after I shot all of the wall murals they have on display over there there and had some extra rolls of film so I had some fun with the baby linhof.  It really works quite well as a rangefinder, and helps if you can bench press over 350 lbs... :)

• Like 1

My son and future daughter-in-law (future ends Labor Day Weekend) -- Leica R 6.2 and the R 90mm Elmarit ..... wanted to get an SLR, skipped the SL (digital) and went straight to the M6 equivalent ... weight, form factor, etc is GREAT! purely mechanical except for the TTL meter, spot or average choice. Will have some fun with this in the coming weeks ...  BTW, no crop because I wanted to show the whole pic and no adjustments ...

here is a cropped picture of my sweetheart with her grandson in the pool ....

Lovely pictures and portraits Steve

Your son looks like you :)

Color is wonderful really nice

Thank you Steve

Henry

• Like 1

Our little dog Milo passed away today. She loved the beach and I dedicate this to her:

p2437403325-5.jpg

koonya 2017

M2, 35mm summaron, adox silvermax 100

Phil , how old Milo ? oldness ?

Very sad you lose your dear companion !

Very nice picture with great black

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

Coney Island, Brooklyn.  :)

Linhof Technika Press 23, 53 Zeiss Biogon, Fuji Pro 400H (6x9)

That's what a frozen time just to photograph the lady at left :)

Nice color . Adam Fuji Pro 400 seems a little clear here , in comparison when you use your M ?

Am I right ?

Thanks for posting

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

I posted above some ticks and Lyme disease in picture 

Here another picture in Fuji Superia 100 taken with my Leica R4S

Notice the color skin , pores and the "erythema migrans" aureole

all is well reproduced by film color !

My diagnostic is Borreliosis .  You can see in the middle of the aureole

the tick bite trace.

Fuji Superia 100-Leica R4S-Summicron 50

attachicon.gifLymeFujiSupMhtlufeng+++-red450 ++.jpg

Best

Henry

About this picture I had a same problem of CR as Adam with his street pictures many months ago

All my pathology pictures are published in med. reviews but editor asks my permission and are

free. My name is under the picture in the legend.

I am glad other practicians can use them to teach our young and future confrere.

Certain pictures are unique

Thanks for watching

Henry

Borreliosis is also called "Lyme disease" because the infectious agent come from the County of Lyme in US

Many dogs (for Phil) can have this disease. Take care Phil. After a ballad in forest , you must look for ticks

on skin of your dog.

For humans same precaution ... nude in front of the big mirror. This disease have first dermatologic side after

neurologic and finally rheumatic complication.Same remark for your dog Phil .

Rg

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 2

Lovely shot Phil, sorry to hear this, but a great shot to remember her by.

Gary

Phil , how old Milo ? oldness ?

Very sad you lose your dear companion !

Very nice picture with great black

Best

Henry

Thank you very much Gary and Henry. Milo was 14, a good age for a small dog (part Jack Russell). She was very ill with cancer. In fact the vet was due to come and put her to sleep half an hour after she passed away naturally. She was our son's dog - he's now in Boston so it will be particularly sad for him.

Henry - I just did a quick read-up on Lyme disease in Australia. It is thought that most cases here are brought home from people traveling overseas, although there is an identified hot-spot for ticks in a wide area surrounding Sydney. There are obviously other places, but the Lyme Disease Association here is having trouble even having the disease recognized. Thank you for bringing it to my attention, and thank you sincerely for being such a great person and humanitarian and using your professional knowledge and experience to help people who wouldn't otherwise get such great care.

• Like 2

Phil you are welcome  !  :)

Thanks for your comment .  A good point if you have a Lyme Association.

Yes probably infectuous agent is coming from people who travel , with the help of jet lines

and also by birds who carry infectious ticks.

Best

Henry

Thank you very much Gary and Henry. Milo was 14, a good age for a small dog (part Jack Russell). She was very ill with cancer. In fact the vet was due to come and put her to sleep half an hour after she passed away naturally. She was our son's dog - he's now in Boston so it will be particularly sad for him.

Henry - I just did a quick read-up on Lyme disease in Australia. It is thought that most cases here are brought home from people traveling overseas, although there is an identified hot-spot for ticks in a wide area surrounding Sydney. There are obviously other places, but the Lyme Disease Association here is having trouble even having the disease recognized. Thank you for bringing it to my attention, and thank you sincerely for being such a great person and humanitarian and using your professional knowledge and experience to help people who wouldn't otherwise get such great care.

• Like 1

Great stuff, Adam. I think you'll like it. I find that the 16mm tube works well with both 80 and 40 lenses. Longer tubes on the 40 will cut the working distance too much, as in the lens front element almost touching the subject, but with 16mm one has a little bit of space. I've concluded after now quite a few rolls of extension tube pix that the 80 Planar is a really great macro lens because one has a useful working distance and ok-ish DOF at smaller apertures. Anyway, enough waffle from me. I'm looking forward to your pictures. 

br

Philip

Very interesting, Philip :)  I am brining my 16mm tube with me to Israel tomorrow (where I'll be for the next month).  I hope to spend some time in the botanical garden emulating you :)

Very sorry to hear of the loss of your dog. It's a very nice photo to remember her by.

Our little dog Milo passed away today. She loved the beach and I dedicate this to her:

p2437403325-5.jpg

koonya 2017

M2, 35mm summaron, adox silvermax 100

• Like 2

Additions to my analogue armoury arrived yesterday (yes, I have a very understanding/tolerant wife!).  Shot a test roll of Acros 100 in the afternoon (interior close-up shots and Ridgeway landscapes). Negs are hanging in the shower...

'Q' photo.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10