I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Phil, I'm happy to hear your scanner's been fixed and hope that computer arrives quickly.

It's a nice photograph and I can now see why Meyerowitz called his book Cape Light :)

And from a post-processing point of view, it's quite a tricky image, too.

I think it would be a challenge to maintain/obtain a pleasant sky colour (that pale blue-pink variety), natural sun-lit grass colour (green without going yellow-pink and overblown) and normal-looking shadows around the boat (dark without going mushy red or brown while retaining detail), and then all this without the sand going purple or magenta.

Tricky, tricky indeed. I think you did a very good job. I prefer the second one because all these aspects of the image look natural. 

Was this one scanned as colour negative and did you scan as non-linear TIFF or did you use ColorPerfect to invert the image?

br

Philip

Having been without, firstly, my scanner (now fixed!!) and secondly my computer (the old Mac Pro finally died. I am waiting on a new iMac which #&$%@! Apple seem to have "lost" for the last couple of weeks and am using a borrowed computer with the drives from my old computer), I have been neglectful in regards to this forum.

Anyway, I've been noticing a lot of conversation around the relative merits of various colour films. Whilst I think we all have our favourites, and with good cause, I'd just like to add a small consideration of processing to the conversation. It can potentially make a vast difference to the end result, at least as displayed on our monitors - and this is independent of whether the original picture was taken using digital, colour negative, slide or black and white film.

As an example, here are two different treatments of the same picture from my recent trip to Cape Light ...er Cape Cod. The negative is on Portra 160. One of these examples was scanned as a transparency, the other as a colour negative (using Vuescan) and both were processed to the best of my ability - ie I tried to get the picture as aesthetically pleasing as possible, while keeping it reasonably accurate to my memory of the scene.

Perhaps you prefer one or the other? I'd be interested to hear any comments anyone might care to make:

p2435527286-5.jpg

p2435527295-5.jpg

Wellfleet, Massachusetts June 2017

M6TTL, 35mm Summicron, Portra 160

• Like 2

R6

35 Summicron R

Tri-X

R09 1:50

Plustek 8100

Gary

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

And I'll get back into a little "out the office window" series for a while, off and on.

ETRSi

80mm

Agfo 100RS

Epson 4870

Gary

• Like 17

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Having been without, firstly, my scanner (now fixed!!) and secondly my computer (the old Mac Pro finally died. I am waiting on a new iMac which #&$%@! Apple seem to have "lost" for the last couple of weeks and am using a borrowed computer with the drives from my old computer), I have been neglectful in regards to this forum.

Anyway, I've been noticing a lot of conversation around the relative merits of various colour films. Whilst I think we all have our favourites, and with good cause, I'd just like to add a small consideration of processing to the conversation. It can potentially make a vast difference to the end result, at least as displayed on our monitors - and this is independent of whether the original picture was taken using digital, colour negative, slide or black and white film.

As an example, here are two different treatments of the same picture from my recent trip to Cape Light ...er Cape Cod. The negative is on Portra 160. One of these examples was scanned as a transparency, the other as a colour negative (using Vuescan) and both were processed to the best of my ability - ie I tried to get the picture as aesthetically pleasing as possible, while keeping it reasonably accurate to my memory of the scene.

Perhaps you prefer one or the other? I'd be interested to hear any comments anyone might care to make:

p2435527286-5.jpg

p2435527295-5.jpg

Phil I prefer the first one. When you mean "transparency" is it directly from the scanner without VS ?

I think you must crop to see the difference in example red boat and little green grass

About you Mac died , we meet and will meet this kind of problem in the future . Computer

obsolete because too old or too "tired"

Digital process needs computers , no digital , no change , no software and save the money  :)

In my case , I keep one old computer with Windows XP to scan with my Nikon Coolscan and I am

happy to post here for sharing but normally  I prefer print directly to watch all my pictures

I only need PC just to watch and send pictures on Leica Forum :)

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

Rolleiflex 6002, Planar 80, Velvia 100F

attachicon.gif6002_Juli17_004.jpg

Beautiful. Only thing that would (possibly) make it better would be some poppies for Henry :D

Gary

Klaus I agree with Gary  great eyes Gary and expert

Thank you for your thought Gary but I also like purple and yellow color :D

Very nice yellow and very nice and subtle purple color :)

Viva Velvia :)

Thank you

Best

Henry

I'll post some poppies for Gary ... just the time to scan ... all my poppies saved in a WD-HD

are lost :angry:

• Like 1

R6

35 Summicron R

Tri-X

R09 1:50

Plustek 8100

Gary

Black , white and grey tones are very nice in this picture Gary

And I'll get back into a little "out the office window" series for a while, off and on.

ETRSi

80mm

Agfo 100RS

Epson 4870

Gary

The transparency of the blue-green water is wonderful

Nice view from the air Gary

Thanks

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

Blois castle

May 2017

the entrance of the castle with King François the first

Blois is his castle and is on the Loire River Valley

Kodak TMA400-Leica MP-35 Summicron Asph

no correction directly from Nikon Coolscan 5000 Tiff > Jpeg for post

TMAX dev in pure Kodak Pro D76 6mn 45 sec 22°C

Kodak TMAX (with TX) is also a great film very nice black and grey

The Summicron 35 lens is also a great lens

Rg

Henry

• Like 10

Sneaking up on some ladybirds having a good time.

34990029641_16f59d6164_b.jpg

Flickr

80 Planar+tubes (handheld) Portra 400NC (expired, at EI100).

That's what I call a subtle red ...

Philip very nice picture and the bokeh in background is like a painting

Thank you

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 2

Perfectly composed and lit!  As others have commented, very well worth the trials and tribulations in reaching the perfect position.

I was dumb enough to crawl in my work clothes along the Thames river long the muddy rocks for the sunset a couple of weeks ago.  I got this shot, but also got (i) a lot of laughs and teases from people on the pedestrian path above as they watch me struggle inch by inch over every rock trying not to slip on my ass and (ii) my work shoes, camera bag and rain jacket completely covered with disgusting mud, which I had to my hotel completely wash and clean.  I remember reaching out and putting my hand against the inner wall of the river bank for balance only to find it slip down about 2 inches of thick disgusting green mud that is probably 1000 years old.   :o

But I got this photo.... :)

SWC, Ektar

attachicon.gifsunset, Tower Bridge.jpg

The light and colours on these landscapes give a strong sense of 'being there' I particularly like #3.

A few more from sunrise with MP/50APO, Portra 160.

All of these are from wide open up to f/5.6 by the end I'd imagine (given it was sunrise/160 speed film.)

(Still shocked they allow driving on huge sand dunes in a National Park)

Looking back away from the sea, to give a sense of scale of the dunes (those are full height gum trees)

I've got some really nice B/W ones with the 50 I'll upload later..

• Like 2

After sunset over the city taken with the Apo Telyt 135 Asph lens :) ,

a second series of pictures in color taken from my Tower Hotel of 70m

as my HD Western Digital brand (500 Mo) has breathed one's last :angry:

I just scan some more pictures taken during my last mission ...

Kodak Portra 160-Leica M7-Tripod-Apo Telyt 135 Asph

Nikon Coolscan 5000

Danang a nice city , a bit noisy

Sept 2016

My thoughts for these men who work under 44°C

Houses are too close by in case of fire will have many dead .... 

A large bridge over the river Han

a vietnamese work

Apo Telyt is a great lens with a wonderful definition ... it's like my R Elmarit 135

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 11

To the Portra- Question: Portra 160, one Picture metered at the lights, one at the shadows, about 1,5 stops difference

• Like 11

• Like 11

Jean-Marie a great picture in contre-jour (against light) with your IIIf

Which film please ? It looks like TX

Thank you for posting

Best

Henry

It was Tri-X 400, as mostly with the Leica. And the dog is very very kind - actually a bit confused as there were lots of people around. The place is a station with vintage steam trains. And the dog belongs to the station master.

San Cosimo's celebration in Francavilla Fontana (Italy)
M6 + Summicron asph 35 + HP5@1600

7e5586a34cd302a8e8a9c8eca1ec6ea5.jpg

06cb741f7ac89206930388d3c2090e82.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by AntonioF
  • Like 13

p2435527286-5.jpg

p2435527295-5.jpg

I have looked at them for a while. The contrast seems greater in the second photo, especially between boat and rope. I think I prefer the first. In it, the first, the shade-to- sunlight transition area on the top/bottom of the boat seems better represented; the scuffs are more discernible.

• Like 3

Rollei 35SE, Tmax 400, D76 1:1

South Tyrol

• Like 16

So many great great photos You post - impossible to say how much I appreciate the daily moment I look at Your pictures !!!

I like the Ferrania film/photos. I'll give this film a try, I think - if they do continue production ?

Today, a phot I shot outside my workshop with the 100 years old wooden camera. I should have wrapped some more black scotch tape around the back before shooting.

I love the athmosphere of these so terribly unperfect "oldtimer" cameras. If I remember well, this is Tri-X 400 aswell. Sometimes I am a bit chaotic, I know. My wife tells me every day...;-)

• Like 16