I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I want to know if among you , you have some pictures shot with a new Summicron f :2 Asph in comparison

with another 35 mm .

It seems well to me but I will want to be sure before buying in waiting for the Floating 35 Summilux more expensive.

If you have this lens , what is your opinion ?

Henry, I have the Summilux FLE and the previous version Summicron ASPH (not the revised 2016 version). The Summilux is superlative and I suspect, by most technical measures, superior to the Summicron. However, as much as I like the Summilux I rarely, if ever now, use it. I simply prefer the balance and size of the Summicron. I find the Summilux just that little bit too large for my taste and, even after 4 years of regular use, the focussing action just that little bit too heavy.

• Like 1

Like we are there . Wonderful color and realism Adam

It smells drought Adam

Best

Henry

Thanks, Henry.  Yes, it was horribly hot and scorching there at that time!  In the winter, I understand that this area is often covered with rain water....

• Like 1

Henry, I have the Summilux FLE and the previous version Summicron ASPH (not the revised 2016 version). The Summilux is superlative and I suspect, by most technical measures, superior to the Summicron. However, as much as I like the Summilux I rarely, if ever now, use it. I simply prefer the balance and size of the Summicron. I find the Summilux just that little bit too large for my taste and, even after 4 years of regular use, the focussing action just that little bit too heavy.

Henry - for what it is worth, I recently heard from the US rep for Arca Swiss (medium and large format camera company) that lenses have different max focus distance settings for infinity - i.e., infinity is not really what people think it means ("forever").  Lens makers will design their lenses with a different max focus distance (i.e., infinity).  I don't know the ins and outs, but the Arca Swiss rep appears to be very familiar with Leica lenses and he said something that makes sense to me, which is the the summicron lenses are designed with a shorter "infinity" max focus distance.  This is done in order to optimize the focus throw for street and other shooting at reasonably close distance.    This may be relevant to you as I know that you do a fair amount of shooting of landscapes with very long distances.  You might want to look into this and try to determine which of the Leica lenses have infinity max focuses that are optimal for landscapes.   Having a lens with a relatively "short" infinity seeing may leave you with less than satisfactory tack sharpness at infinity with landscapes...

• Like 2

Henry - for what it is worth, I recently heard from the US rep for Arca Swiss (medium and large format camera company) that lenses have different max focus distance settings for infinity - i.e., infinity is not really what people think it means ("forever").  Lens makers will design their lenses with a different max focus distance (i.e., infinity).  I don't know the ins and outs, but the Arca Swiss rep appears to be very familiar with Leica lenses and he said something that makes sense to me, which is the the summicron lenses are designed with a shorter "infinity" max focus distance.  This is done in order to optimize the focus throw for street and other shooting at reasonably close distance.    This may be relevant to you as I know that you do a fair amount of shooting of landscapes with very long distances.  You might want to look into this and try to determine which of the Leica lenses have infinity max focuses that are optimal for landscapes.   Having a lens with a relatively "short" infinity seeing may leave you with less than satisfactory tack sharpness at infinity with landscapes...

interesting, you should start a thread in lenses and see what gets dredged up

• Like 3

....  angel or fairy ?  :)

on the edge of Seine River

Paris

Sept 2016

Portra 160-M7-35 LA

Best

Henry

All these 4 pictures are uncorrected

Adam you have changed your avatar isn't ?

Henry,

I do like the mood in all four, subdued, reserved colours, on the cool side.

And the light without too much contrast - works for me.

Rgds

C.

• Like 1

From what you tell me this lens would be good for views "near" like the street picture

but not for landscapes (but you can do it too because Erwin Puts speaks of good sharpness

at f:11 ! ) ... with  small loss due to the diffraction at f:16 in the corners.
Effectively the center looks sharp at f:2 for near view it'll be good !

Despite this and as Ian said is its lightness which is an asset.
It weighs 255 grams with 7 elements in 5 groups
Designer Peter Karbe

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

from Wiki Leica Forum

Thanks Adam , Ian and Christoph for your lighting :)

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

Henry,

I do like the mood in all four, subdued, reserved colours, on the cool side.

And the light without too much contrast - works for me.

Rgds

C.

Thanks Christoph for watching and for your nice comment.

I did not have much time in Paris yesterday but I walked a bit to be able to take pictures

I'm lucky it was sunny :)

Best

Henry

Just a test with Kodak Portra 160 pushed to 400 Isos

inside our french National Assembly :)

Kodak Portra 160 > 400

Leica M7

Summilux 35 Asph at f:1.4

no tripod and no flash

Best

Henry

• Like 9

The sharpness in center with Summilux 35 is outstanding

I need this sharpness because i focus on hands :)

Fraternal hands of "poilus" * World War 1

Street photos Paris Sept 2016

Kodak Portra160-Leica M7-35 LA

Best

Henry

* or "hairy"

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 10

Taken yesterday at Paris developed to day  :)

and for Gary

Alexandre 3 bridge

one of the four pillars of the bridge

Sept. 2016

Kodak Portra 160

(C41 38°C)

Leica M7

Summilux 35 Asph

attachicon.gifImage20ptalex3kp160m7fecrlsuplfht+++1000.jpg

The Eiffel Tower is just behind :)

Reagrds

Henry

Here another picture of this pillar with a golden statue

This bridge called Alexandre III is built to celebrate the Franco-Russian friendship :)

Kodak Portra 160

M7-35 LA

Picture uncorrected

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 4

Jean I find a light blue cast on my Eizo screen

I hope you allow me to post this picture corrected below :)

Your opinion ?

I have sent you a MP but I have no reply.

You have a Imacon and you want to sell in french forum isn't ?

You abandon analog ?

Best

Henry

attachicon.gifpost-50356-0-48858800-1474532452-3.jpg

hello Henry no problem my friend your opinion is still interesting, for the blue cast it was the normal colour superia gave me, and I found it adds a drama tonality to the scene... so ... but if You prefer it in yellow cast it's your point of view :) no problem, 

concerning my imacon sell, just the same problem, still no job and at one time or another, I need to sell my gear.. believe me I'm crying inside myself sometimes :) I NEVER STOP USE FILM IF EXIST but I think to do just a break, and thinking to my professionnal future.. not so obsious sometimes.

best regards my friend

jean

Edited by janorun974
  • Like 1

This picture shows why Summiluxes are useful for film photographers and why the 35 FLE is such an amazing optical achievement. 

Do you know what photos hang on the back wall, Henry?

Just a test with Kodak Portra 160 pushed to 400 Isos

inside our french National Assembly :)

Kodak Portra 160 > 400

Leica M7

Summilux 35 Asph at f:1.4

no tripod and no flash

attachicon.gifImage14colloqkp160m7la35lf+++1000.jpg

Best

Henry

• Like 1

This picture shows why Summiluxes are useful for film photographers and why the 35 FLE is such an amazing optical achievement. 

Do you know what photos hang on the back wall, Henry?

It's not a photo Philip, it is the glass pane of the control cabin for the video projector

and microphones which is behind.

Yes you're right , the Summilux is sometimes useful for this kind of pictures. :)

Thanks for your comment Philip

Best

Henry

• Like 1

hello Henry no problem my friend your opinion is still interesting, for the blue cast it was the normal colour superia gave me, and I found it adds a drama tonality to the scene... so ... but if You prefer it in yellow cast it's your point of view :) no problem, 

concerning my imacon sell, just the same problem, still no job and at one time or another, I need to sell my gear.. believe me I'm crying inside myself sometimes :) I NEVER STOP USE FILM IF EXIST but I think to do just a break, and thinking to my professionnal future.. not so obsious sometimes.

best regards my friend

jean

Life is sometimes hard, I understand

The Imacon scanner is sublime, not to sell below its rated value :)

Thanks Jean for your reply

Stay with us :) Reunion Island is a nice place and we wait for your pictures :)

Best regards

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

From what you tell me this lens would be good for views "near" like the street picture

but not for landscapes (but you can do it too because Erwin Puts speaks of good sharpness

at f:11 ! ) ... with  small loss due to the diffraction at f:16 in the corners.

Effectively the center looks sharp at f:2 for near view it'll be good !

Despite this and as Ian said is its lightness which is an asset.

It weighs 255 grams with 7 elements in 5 groups

Designer Peter Karbe

attachicon.gif500px-M-35f2-c.jpg

from Wiki Leica Forum

Thanks Adam , Ian and Christoph for your lighting :)

Best

Henry

Henry - I am not sure that just b/c a lens is sharp at f/11 that it necessarily follows that it has relative sharpness at any aperture at the infinity setting for subject that are very far off into the distance.

• Like 2